Spazmolytic's quest to conquer the WORLD!

Spazmolytic

Not really, but I thought it might be a good idea to start a thread where I can ask questions to you folks that are much more knowledgeable & not hijack other folks threads with my BS. To start, in case you don't know I'm a brand new player to the world of 40K only just playing my first game last evening (07/02/17). I played a ton of D&D in my youth & hadn't touched it in 25+ years only to get back into it a little while ago. I also painted mini's a lot in those days but again hadn't touched one in a long time, D&D sparked my interest again. That group folded after 6 months or so & in that time I set my sights on Warhammer. This game was around in my youth but was very hard to come by & stupidly expensive for a teenager (still is I recon) soooo I've tried to absorb as much as I have time for but I still have questions. Now I also plan on displaying all mini's I paint here so I hope you folks will give me pointers & tips as to what is good or crap or what I've done wrong, still not sure on the correct markings for shoulder pads, seen to many different ones on the net. So my first question is, I planned on creating my own chapter from the get go until I realized just how deep the story goes in 40K, very rich history. So then I scan the lexicanum & come across the Raven Guard which just sparked with me (& all the successors), now with the 8th edition out & the new codex where Shrike is the man I had a thought, being a special op/guerilla warfare chapter would Shike have a secrete Seals team/SAS/JTF2 type of group assembled from all successors & Raven Guard. I'm sure this has been attempted countless times before but I couldn't find any mention anywhere (outside of what I've come to read recently on the Deathwatch) so if I was to build a army around this idea, seeing as most chapters play under Raven rules (or all at this point) is it going to have its problems if I play outside of my small group?

Now I really dig this forum we have here & the sub forum for the Raven Guard is a class act, really dig the Hidden Hands challenge & with that I'll post some pics, please critique away it will only help me grow as a painter...note though I really do dig dirty/grungy mini's & am trying to paint clean with the Marines (well now anyway)

35442903484_732118a7a3_h.jpg

This was my first vow in that challenge & received some great feedback on the fact I freehanded the icon. I might not have tried if I didn't find a link in these forums to a tutorial on how to do it. Sorry I tried to backcheck to give the person credit but can't seem to find it now, big kudo's for the link whoever you are (I will update if I find it again). It will take me some time to get over my shaky hand thing so the lines aren't as crisp as I'd like but ...maybe someday

35963195970_16d4f25326_h.jpg

my new vow is for the Death Spectre's, can't find a ton of info on these guy's. The icon is easy but the other shoulder....? I've seen gothic numbers & Roman numerals not sure which is correct or are they both? 

35551540043_06fbff52e3_h.jpg

I look forward to your feedback & brotherhood.

There isn't much info on the Death Spectres.

I suggest asking deathspectresgt7 about them. They're kind of his specialty.

As far as the Raven Guard iconography, do whatever. They frequently change their format to confuse enemies. Since their command structure is so decentralized you could see 2 companies with totally different markings and both are correct.

They are a Codex chapter, but they don't adhere to the Codex marking system as strictly as Ultras or Fists (either variety).

Welcome tot the Ravenspire! I was a huge RPGer until I saw some dudes playing with model tanks in the back room. That sold me way back in the late 80's ^_^

As for Shrike's SpecOps team, there is nothing official so if you want it, then go for it :tu: Although, back in 3rd edition, there was an unofficial thing called "Shrike's Wing" which was a Command Squad with Jump Packs and Lightning Claws. But back then, no other Command Squad could use those options (hence the name). Now it can be done with a Vanguard Squad so, whatever. Yet, the idea of a special unit for The Man still exists ... at least in my head :P

Welcome Spaz', good choice in chapter! ;) :tu:
For someone who claims not to be that great a painter and new to the hobby your freehand work is great! I don't even attempt that kinda stuff myself. (Hell I don't even do eyes! :sweat:

Feel free to hit us up for advice on the hobby were happy to help where we can! :D No guarantees we'll be right though ;) 

My RG force are somewhat pragmatic when it comes to combat colours and they generally wear camouflage, except for certain characters who apparently know better... So feel free to interpret them as you wish, that's the great part of the hobby! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Well I slightly neglected this thread, but truth told I've been busy with the final stages of planning my 10 day solo canoe trek (weather permitting, have 17 days if needed))  300+ KM loop in Northern Ontario, a year in the making. Which will bring me to my next point, I plan on writing some fluff about my take on this Special Forces angle I'm making with my models. A question to you all, is there a good Black Library source for a feel on what Shrike acts like? Would he or any other marine hold or write a journal, jotting down thoughts, almost like narrating a film? I did play my second game a week ago & completely wiped out the Death Guard, losses were heavy on my side too but the rules are making more sense & sticking, so a big plus.

36433910615_eb193cdc85_b.jpg

Hell Blasters completed. I have added more weathering since this pic, really enjoy these guy's.

36551374405_a628a050f6_b.jpg

Honestly I thought I'd have more fun painting Nurgle but man I'm really digging these Marines, I will say more so for sure.

36281139760_d05aec37fd_b.jpg

Looking back I probably should have picked the Death Spectres for the Race Bannon challenge maybe solely for the hair but am sure there will be more chapter challenges on this forum, keep them up folks I'm thoroughly enjoying the crap out of them

36562569731_e4bb4ff4d0_b.jpg

This WIP has moved forward a bit but feel I may have screwed the pooch with the power sword, I'll post when I get back, just hope I have time to finish before the oath runs out of time (I'm sure it'll be good) anyway folks I'll see you in a few weeks 

Shrike by George Mann and Hunt for Voldorius by Andy Hoare show different sides of Shrike.

The first story in the Damocles compilation features him as well.

Marines in general wouldn't have journals. With near eidetic memories, they would really have no use for them. Records of their notable achievements are either inscribed in their armor or written on purity seals.