Jumping Ship..!

LutherMax

So... long time Blood Angels collector (and player since around the beginning of 7th) thinking of branching out and starting a Raven Guard (well, Raptors) force. I liked the look of the RG rules in 7th and they look even better now, so I think it's time to give them a try.

Looking forward to checking out this corner of the boards and chatting with you all about tactics etc. For now I wanted to ask opinions on the Strike from the Shadows Strategem combined with the Silent Stalker Warlord Trait. I thought it would be cool to infiltrate Shrike, charge something important without worrying about Overwatch, then charging the same unit with some Vanguard Vets who would also be protected from Overwatch.

It would cost 2CP and pretty reliant on going first but I think it would be fun. What do you guys think? Effective or too risky?

Welcome to the Ravenspire, though 'jumping ship' is a bit strong a term, i see it as taking a healthy love of jump packs in a different direction :-)

Indeed, 8th ed seems to have opened 'lone assassin' tactics to RG characters, that were very risky in 7th. It's situational, the thing to watch out for is not running out of targets, as even shrike won't tank a round of shooting too good if stranded alone closest to firing squads. I'd compare it to Lictors tactics of 7th ed.

Thanks for the welcome Shrieker! Yeah 'jumping ship' was a sensationalist title ;) I've been loyal to the Blood Angels for longer than I care to remember and I will never abandon them. But variety is the spice of life, no matter how subtle a change!

I would only ever use the above tactic with one or two units in support of Shrike - but it's still a lot of points (and command points) potentially close to a lot of return firepower...

What do you mean by 'Lictor tactics'?

They die if they're left out of position, so you have to be very careful about committing them. For shrike you just pretty much have to make sure he's not the closest and if you're charging him in, the unit won't be able to kill him after taking damage and a potential stratagem interrupt.