Scouts size.

So, something came to mind that I'm actually wondering about and can't think of an answer myself, even though it may seem obvious:

Are space marine scouts the sae physical size as their initiate brethren? From a fluff standpoint. I guess they would be, but I'm just really not sure.

Fluff-wise, I perceive it varies depending on the organ installation phase and training.

New dudes = no. Older initiates (in the regimen) = almost.

I mean, wouldn't the Black Carapace add a little bulk? 

I would ASSUME, as much as that is distasteful, that any scout far enough along in their training and implantation regime to be sent into a wider battle (and therefore have a model) would be effectively the same size/developed as a full battle-brother, minus of course the black carapace+power armor. And the black carapace is a thin sub-dermal implant, it wouldn't add much if anything to the bulk of a marine, it just lets him interface with power armor.

Depends on chapter as well. Blood Angel initiates go from human- a year in pseudo stasis inside a sarcophagus where their fed intravenously and implanted with all the organs except the carapace, along with tiny bits of blood from the sanguinary priests grails- to full battle brother size when they step out; they still go through regular scout training and such, but they do it physically a full space marine.

Edited by The Unseen

Depends on chapter as well. Blood Angel initiates go from human- a year in pseudo stasis inside a sarcophagus where their fed intravenously and implanted with all the organs except the carapace, along with tiny bits of blood from the sanguinary priests grails- to full battle brother when they step out.

So where are the BA scouts coming from?  Do they already have the black carapace?  What happens after the initiates leave the sarcophagus? Are they assigned to a scout squad of DEV/ASM squad?

i wrote an article a long whole back, but i cant find it in the librarium anymore.. creation of a space marine

essentially scouts move along a path of progression, when they first start out they only have the first three implants and will only be marginally bigger than a human, it takes a few years to get all 19 implants, so a scout company of 100 scouts, will invariably have a wide range of different sized scouts, some small barely larger than humans, some full grown awaiting thier black carapace

edit found it

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/185032-space-marine-creation-and-scouts-physiology/

Edited by greatcrusade08

Depends on chapter as well. Blood Angel initiates go from human- a year in pseudo stasis inside a sarcophagus where their fed intravenously and implanted with all the organs except the carapace, along with tiny bits of blood from the sanguinary priests grails- to full battle brother when they step out.

So where are the BA scouts coming from?  Do they already have the black carapace?  What happens after the initiates leave the sarcophagus? Are they assigned to a scout squad of DEV/ASM squad?

BA scouts are those marines newly pulled out of the Sarcophagus. They come out with some indoctrination and all their organs, but they effectively have zero training in their new bodies. They don't have the carapace, that isn't one of the organs grown from gene-seed, its added in later, once they've earned it. Initiates leave the sarcophagus and join the 10th company to go through scout training, just like everyone else. It's just they already are fully astartes physically when they do it, rather than going through scout training+organ implantation at the same time.

I would ASSUME, as much as that is distasteful, that any scout far enough along in their training and implantation regime to be sent into a wider battle (and therefore have a model) would be effectively the same size/developed as a full battle-brother, minus of course the black carapace+power armor. And the black carapace is a thin sub-dermal implant, it wouldn't add much if anything to the bulk of a marine, it just lets him interface with power armor.

Depends on chapter as well. Blood Angel initiates go from human- a year in pseudo stasis inside a sarcophagus where their fed intravenously and implanted with all the organs except the carapace, along with tiny bits of blood from the sanguinary priests grails- to full battle brother size when they step out; they still go through regular scout training and such, but they do it physically a full space marine.

​Pretty much this, it always annoyed me Scouts were depicted in some art and the models as smaller than Marines - by the time the Chapter is willing to risk them on an active deployment they should be fairly well along in their training and implantation process, and the implants that have the most effect on size & muscle mass are among the first to go in. I'd argue there wouldn't be any greater variation in hieght/mass of a "tabletop-ready" Scout squad than there is normally between full battle brothers, they'd be physically mature in all but a handful of odd outliers.

OK (sorry for the slow answer, was busy with work). So basically it kind of depends on the chapter? I mean, it wouldn't make much sense to send scouts into the battle field if they are physically inferior to an initiate battle brother, after all they do take on some quite dangerous missions.