=][= Unit(s) of the week: Platoon Commanders =][=

duz_

I don't like them overall. Take up a valuable Elite slot and the CC just does their job better. Only use I can see for them is going with an over extended unit (Conscripts on a flank or Vets in a Valkyries)

What other Elite options do you find more critical?

I run Elysians now (still salty about Renegades getting the nerf bat so hard). So I need Command Squads and Officer of the Fleet. I did run Snipers for a few weeks but currently not. May trial an Airborne Vet type list shortly

No, because a command squad is not a frontline combat unit.  Having a couple of special weapons, sure, but the principal purpose of the squad is support staff.

That's not true at all. Bear in mind that the command group is where you'd find a platoon's mortar and anti-tank weapon. 

Granted, a company command squad would likely be more staff/adviser--based than weapon-based though.

No, because a command squad is not a frontline combat unit. Having a couple of special weapons, sure, but the principal purpose of the squad is support staff.

That's not true at all. Bear in mind that the command group is where you'd find a platoon's mortar and anti-tank weapon.

Granted, a company command squad would likely be more staff/adviser--based than weapon-based though.

This conversation illustrates the problem with command squads in this edition: they have no defined role. It used to be the unit your commanders were in. Great. Now it's morphed into a strange pseudo-elite group of veterans with unfettered access to the arms room. I hope the codex provides a better use for them in the overall order of battle.

No, because a command squad is not a frontline combat unit. Having a couple of special weapons, sure, but the principal purpose of the squad is support staff.

That's not true at all. Bear in mind that the command group is where you'd find a platoon's mortar and anti-tank weapon.

This conversation illustrates the problem with command squads in this edition: they have no defined role. It used to be the unit your commanders were in. Great. Now it's morphed into a strange pseudo-elite group of veterans with unfettered access to the arms room. I hope the codex provides a better use for them in the overall order of battle.

There's another issues though which is that (heavy weapons notwithstanding) most of the roles performed by a RL command squad aren't much use in a tabletop game.

What exactly is a command squad sergeant going to do? Or a batsman (the commander's personal assistant)? Or a runner?

Serious question - do we even need a Command Squad at this point? 

Hrmmm, it would appear too much recaff and stims and not enough combat prep and action, leads to Guardsmen being disoriented. 

Command Squad discussion should be conducted here.

And remember and disparaging remarks about senior officers will result in an immediate trip to the Commissary!

Carry on soldiers! :)

• 3 weeks later...