=][= Unit(s) of the week: Command Squads =][=

duz_

Not sure how to make Medics more useful. Banners could give any number of buffs, the sky is the limit there really.

Vox could be useful in a lot of ways that make sense fluff wise. While the current setup has a purpose, they could do a few things better. I have two specific ideas. One, certain infantry squads should have a vox for free, and theaster-vox in the command squad is what gives the bugs. That way you aren't paying for every single unit to have it just in case. The other option would be coordinating between units, something like if Unit A and Unit B both have a vox, unit B can target the same unit as A that shooting phase regardless of line of sight. Would open up some interesting tactics while not being ridiculously powerful.

As for the current squad, I find myself always taking sws instead. I like the extra wounds to chew thru before I lose firepower. The command squads definitely need a revamp when we get a proper codex.

That makes no sense. You can't make bullets or lasers or whatever curve around obstacles just because you have a radio.

I do think SWSs at least should have voxes, and maybe even making the voxnet a free trait for the Guard as a whole (our version of ATSKNF/Long War buff). It's not a lot of points, but it does add up in opportunity costs (like the idiotic give up your hotshot lasgun that effects scion squads but not Scion command squads).

I feel medics can be useful, my Quartermaster who accompanies my Kriegeneers has brought back more than one meltagunner, but he has the advantage of character status.

Back on topic of command squads. I've seen several lists now that are using command squads as lascannon batteries. The thought seems to be that your opponent either doesnt commit enough to get through the 3 ablative wounds or over commits and kills the squad. They are pricey, 44 each plus the commander.

Thoughts?

Edited by mertbl

I think it seems like the obvious choice. I went through the same thought process initially too.

However for my purposes I think it makes them too expensive and a higher priority target. A BS3+ lascannon that's also helping dish out orders at 18" so my commander can hide means your opponent will catch on pretty quick.

It seems to me that the Veteran Squad and he command squad conflict with rolls now. Before the command squad was bubble wrap for your commander and required, might as well give them some weapons. Now the command squad is just a 4 man veteran team. If you wanted a small team to sit on a lascannon or wanted human snipers sure but every other case it just seems like its better to take the veteran team.

The only 2 items a veteran team can't take that a command squad can is the medic and the banner. While fluffy I don't see either of these being too useful. Commissars do the job of a banner better and its harder to get sniped and like others have said the medic is situational at best. 

:facepalm:  this has been sorta helpful and sorta not... i thought these little "units of the week" were for hard fact of what is used in games,i'd rather not have to sort through a pile of wishlisting the future of command squads... i'll be building one soon and feel like i'm no closer to choosing an O.K. command squad(in the current rule's state) :confused:.

i don't wish this to come across as me being a Whingey A-Hole :tongue.:

i may just go with either 2 spec wpns (which can be put into a spec wpn squad later anyway :thumbsup:  or the Bullet magnet las-cannon command squad... 

Cheers, Mithril

Well, for what it's worth I run mine as sniper teams, with a voxcaster and a commander to pump out orders. Plunk them down in cover somewhere and try to cap some enemy characters. I also run a throwaway one with a heavy flamer and a flamer, as well as a medic, with the goal of frontline support. Drop them off wherever they're needed, use the medic as necessary to recover lost special weapons users. I'd had moderate success with this, especially against other Guard armies.

:facepalm: this has been sorta helpful and sorta not... i thought these little "units of the week" were for hard fact of what is used in games,i'd rather not have to sort through a pile of wishlisting the future of command squads... i'll be building one soon and feel like i'm no closer to choosing an O.K. command squad(in the current rule's state) :confused:.

i don't wish this to come across as me being a Whingey A-Hole :tongue.:

i may just go with either 2 spec wpns (which can be put into a spec wpn squad later anyway :thumbsup: or the Bullet magnet las-cannon command squad...

Cheers, Mithril

Haha well its not quite all that doom and gloom. There are some nuggets in here.

I think it just goes to show how many ways you can use a command squad and what the pros and cons and which might best suit your play style, theme or meta! :)

That makes no sense. You can't make bullets or lasers or whatever curve around obstacles just because you have a radio.

You don't need a radio to do that now. It only takes one model to be visible in shooting for any of a unit to be killed.

If I was a making a counter argument it would be on keeping the rules simple as possible.