Tell me about Inceptors.

IVIilitarus

That's the point. They die.

I can drop a more damaging, less durable unit in that will die anyways. You are paying points for the wounds, toughness, save, etc. but it' not good enough to keep them alive. Hence, they are over-costed.

You're going to lose units to the enemy in this game. Any infantry unit will die if focused. Every unit on its own without support will likely die. But every gun focused on them is one less firing elsewhere.

This game isn't a separate series of one on one comparisons between two singular units. It's about whole armies. And the reality is that their durability means the enemy needs to devote more attention to killing them than they would a weaker target. Sure, maybe both will die after a single turn of shooting, but they also won't be the only thing your opponent is shooting at.

Huh, it's almost as if it's a war game xD

Units in everything that has any strategic elements and does decent at strategy will always need to be supported. It's not a good game if you don't have to support your guys with other guys.

I haven't put mine together yet but unless they drop in points I'll probably play 6 bolter types. I'm curious how much damage you would have done against that NDK with 6 of them?

On average with no modifiers, they put 5 wounds on it

Unless my numbers wrong 6 of the bolter ones are only doing 2.67 wounds to a NDK?

36 Shots (6*2*3)

~24 hits

~8 wounds

~2.67 failed saves 

6 wounds / failed saves vs MEQ though

Edited by duz_

I fielded a 3 man HB squad in my latest 1k game vs. Drew Carey. They almost single handedly won me the game.

I didn't drop them before T3 and when they came in, I used their fire power + split fire to eliminate a wounded ravager and a reaver that had been kiting my troops. Their mobility allowed me to then place them up in a ruin to give my crusaders some urgently needed fire support against the charging wyches. In the final turn they jumped an objective and secured me the win.

Since the Index came out I have said that Interceptors should stay out of combat. It's annoying to have to pay points for there mortal wound charge ability when they should be dropping at the extreme of their range and mowing back field targets or hunting wounded enemies.

Since the Index came out I have said that Interceptors should stay out of combat. It's annoying to have to pay points for there mortal wound charge ability when they should be dropping at the extreme of their range and mowing back field targets or hunting wounded enemies.

It gives them a pretty decent way to avoid getting rocked the moment they move up by letting you rush headlong into a vehicle (after blasting something squishy). Hope for some mortal wounds, but the real goal is to protect yourself from most shooting. You'll stay around a bit longer than you might otherwise because they'll be pretty resilient against the really low number of 6+ hits the vehicle will put out and you'll be facing pistols usually. 

They won't do much in that fight phase (minus the potential mortal wounds from the charge), but since they can fly, you can fall back next turn and keep shooting at the squishy things with no issues. Keeps em alive for another round of shooting, slows the enemy vehicle's advance and ties it up for a turn, and just overall causes havoc behind enemy lines. 

Random speculation time: unlike the boltstorm gauntlets for the Aggressors, the Inceptors have to pay twice for their weapons - one for each hand. That seems odd, right? Especially considering it would have been simpler to just include the cost of the two unique weapon options that nobody else can get as a single purchasable pair at a single flat points cost. I mean, that's how I'd do it. But you lose out on one thing by doing that. You lose out on the ability to eventually include new options, even non-paired ones, like being able to take only one of those weapons alongside a melee weapon. I'm not saying its coming, I'm not even saying its likely, and I have no insider knowledge, but the way its presented means the option is there. I mean, if they want to start turning Inceptors into the new Assault Squad because, at this point, there's no role or purpose for the assault squad that can't be done more efficiently or better with VV...

I haven't put mine together yet but unless they drop in points I'll probably play 6 bolter types. I'm curious how much damage you would have done against that NDK with 6 of them?

On average with no modifiers, they put 5 wounds on it

Unless my numbers wrong 6 of the bolter ones are only doing 2.67 wounds to a NDK?

36 Shots (6*2*3)

~24 hits

~8 wounds

~2.67 failed saves 

6 wounds / failed saves vs MEQ though

Lol woops put the amount for passed saves in there :P

Oh heck no. Lol. Those little joints would be really difficult.

What I just did was pick up the new box for plasma and I just snagged a dark imperium 3 man inceptor squad off eBay.

So now I can do 6 heavy bolters and a squad of 3 plasma and my intent is to mix the bits up

Damn! I need to get Elmo on the task then... :wink:

What's the difference between the starter kit ones and multi kit?

Equipment wise the starter kit Inceptors only have dual Assault Bolters as weapons. The full kit version has dual Assault Bolters and dual Plasma Exterminators.

The only wargear option Inceptors have is whether they take Assault Bolters or Plasma Exterminators.

The kit has different poses and blast shield helmets. The only other difference I know of is that the Inceptor kit's Assault Bolters have a slightly different design, with an opening above the shield on their weapons. In theory, this lets them aim down the weapon. In practice, Space Marines aren't that concerned with aiming down sights due to connections between weapons and suits.

Basically if you want to save money, just get starter Inceptors. If you only want Assault Bolters and want to save money, get starter Inceptors. If you really like blast shield helmets, Assault Bolters that can be aimed normally, consider getting the kit. If you really want Plasma Exterminator models, get the kit.

If you want options and also want to save money, consider getting starter kit Inceptors and magnetising the arms, then buying Plasma Exterminators off EBay at a later stage when the bits market opens up and just magnetise your options.

GW missed a step with Gravis armour. Primaris already have 2 wounds so unlike Terminator armour which gives an extra wound, 2+ save and a 5+ invulnerable Gravis only gives a toughness boost, nothing else really. A 2+ save for Captain, Inceptors and Aggressors would help massively with the ease to which small squads are rendered useless after a few wounds.

To keep Gravis distinct from Terminator Armour (especially as some people call for/claim are inevitable melee Inceptors), I think it would be better if it gave an additional wound in addition to the T-boost. W3 will help against the majority of multi-damage attacks (most being D:2 or D:D3). It also helps with the progression of increasing survivability relative to other Primaris units which helps the Plasma ones create more of a niche compared to Hellblasters.

The Captain going up to W7 may be a bit much (that's Calgar/Abaddon level of Wounds), especially since the Gravis Captain has a good Invulnerable Save, so perhaps not there for balance reasons.

I deep strike about as many things as I can since my army theme is air cavalry/airborne, I've been tempted to give them a try in the middle of a huge drop. Usually I try to present so many targets that it's hard for the element I'm hitting to get them all. Inceptors are my favorite Primaris fluff wise but I haven't really given them much table time.

I am in the midst of kitbashing my Inceptor kit, and I can confirm that yes Terminator Shoulder pads fit and look quite similar to the pads on Inceptors. I am using the Terminator shoulder pads from the Templar Chapter upgrade kit. 

Also, IDK about you guys but I cut the cords off of my plasma exterminators because I wanted more pose options out of my arms. The legs already monopose which is terrible, I didn't want to deal with monopose for the arms too so the cords had to go. Glad I did it too, because now the exterminators just look like plasma pistols on steroids which is kinda cool. 

I'm rewriting the fluff for how my crusade uses these guys, they'll be like they play on the table top, suicide bombers. They drop down with the expectation of dying after slaying a target or softening up a unit for the counter strike. Why do they need external power packs if they're only going to discharge their weapons a few times? They have fists too, use em! 

Edited by SydonianDragoon404

Id he curious to see the cords cut as I was considering doing that myself!

Popgoesthemonkey seems to have a few gravios shoulder pads up already on shapeways. I've messaged nicely about some RG ones. ;)