So now that the Horus Heresy is almost over....

Loesh

I thought Honoured and Unburdened + Sons of Forge were separate to the HH and not to be included in the numbered series . I think Laurie posted something to the effect here somewhere.

It's possible, but would be an unusual decision given how everything else is being collected. Not to mention frustrating for completionists like me :p

I think The Honoured & The Unburdened are unlikely to get a numbered bundle-up at this point. They got trade paperback releases after the hardbacks even.

Sons of the Forge though? That'll be collected for sure. There'd be no point in not doing it when you have to do a Salamanders collection already. SotF would perfectly round up the collection whereas just Promethean Sun and Scorched Earth would leave too much room for something else. Sons of the Forge also ties into themes from Kyme's trilogy and the rest of the Heresy, so it makes no sense leaving it out like that.

I'd say we're due a Wolves collection next year. Wolf King is an obvious inclusion (and it never even got an audiobook edition, which happened before with other novellas due a collection not long after), and it'd leave enough room for a Wolf Cull novel ala Sons of the Forge, Tallarn: Ironclad or Weregeld. I doubt we'd be seeing The Thirteenth Wolf in there though, unless they go with a mixed anthology instead of letting Wraight write the Cull.

46. Ruinstorm

47. Old Eart

48+ will probably be a combination of: 

-a few anthologies

-battle of the outer perimeter (the Traitors fleet-proper reaches the Sol system)

-Mars breakout

-Battle for Luna 2 (3?)

-something (hopefully) about the naval engagement of the HH

-3 books about the actual battle on Terra (super fanboy perspective: so much to cover! cynical perspective: it's a cash cow! Honest perspective: there's so much to cover, it makes sense)

-at least one wonky doesn't quite make sense semi-retcon novel that people will complain about

-something about how even though the Ultramarines werent there, they actually were the most important part of the whole thing (of course)

I rather look at which books I like vs which I don't like and so far the only one I thought was terrible was Descent of Angels. 
Besides that most have been good to great. 
As for legion depiction, most have done a pretty decent job. Bear in mind that character and legion development takes a long time and most books deal with only one or a handful of events and sometimes even super humans can act foolishly in a certain situation based on instinct. 
Now as for primarchs, I think the authors actually did them justice. They humanized them, gave them flaws, made them out the spoiled brats they are and really showed us that they weren't all they were cracked up to be. 
The series really rewards the history buffs in us in that it shows these grand legions, amazing imperium and masterful middle leadership, all brought down by greed, stupidity and spite as was and still is evident in past human civilizations and cultures. 
Remember, as great as Rome, Egypt, Greece etc. were, they fell, mostly due to human complacency and politicking.  

It'd be nice to see the fallen SoH properly in Wolf Cull too. I didn't find The Either really brought in much of the FW history beyond telling us that the "old ways" are coming back.

I also fervently hope that any depiction of Abaddon skews closer to Abnett's and the conqueror of Port Maw rather than McNeil's.

Thunder warriors could be cool but imho some things should stay mythical and vague.

I highly hope for Badab War....since years....for me, it's THE biggest story besides 40K and HH. At least for me... would be cool... here's still hope...

Honestly, I wouldn't mind the Great Crusade, although I doubt attempt to turn it into a major series like they did with the HH, but I don't want the Unification Wars. I really like the story of Terra's unification being shrouded in mystery.

The Badab War would be awesome.

It'd be nice to see the fallen SoH properly in Wolf Cull too. I didn't find The Either really brought in much of the FW history beyond telling us that the "old ways" are coming back.

I also fervently hope that any depiction of Abaddon skews closer to Abnett's and the conqueror of Port Maw rather than McNeil's.

Couldn't agree more. Vengeful Spirit and The Either did not fully reconcile the much cooler FW take on the SoH with what we had from the opening trilogy.

Wolf Cull is BL's chance to show Abaddon at his best, in his element - First Captain of the greatest Legion, the Praetorians of the 'new Emperor.'

The only thing I know for sure is that the words "swayed aside" should be banned from every single Heresy writer's vocabulary.

This is the kind of thing that makes me go to my Dropbox and click Search on every word.doc I can find.

(I did it. And I was safe, but I still had to check.)

I think it would be interesting to see the unification wars done from more of a forgeworld perspective, I certainly don't want anything fleshed out but maybe some major battles are detailed with known characters and a couple lesser known factions. Can certainly convert some of the new necromunda warriors for cyber barbaians, and of course thunder warriors and some pronto legions but I definitely like the mystery both fw and bl are keeping in their descriptions

Ah, sorry to set off your anxiety!

I think the overuse of that phrase sticks out like a sore thumb more because I'm listening to them as audiobooks (just finished Damnation of Pythos today); I already find most fight scenes are lengthy and repetitive, but the format exacerbates the problem.

I'm a very fast reader, so when a fight scene starts to drag on the page I can just skim through it more quickly. When I'm listening to an audiobook, the story only goes at the pace of the actor's speech, and if I let my attention drift I can lose the thread of the story, so I make myself pay attention. That means I have to think more actively about what I'm hearing and analyse it, because that's just how my attention works, and so I more frequently notice repeated phrases and other infelicities.

(You shouldn't worry about this, anyway, because I think your fight scenes are used to illustrate character better than anyone else I've read from Black Library. I never feel like your fight scenes are there for any other reason, honestly, such as a sense that the readership expects a certain amount of blood and thunder - even the "big fight moments" are yoked to character.)

Honestly, I wouldn't mind the Great Crusade, although I doubt attempt to turn it into a major series like they did with the HH, but I don't want the Unification Wars. I really like the story of Terra's unification being shrouded in mystery.

Isn't The Primarchs basically a Great Crusade series? I can't really get behind a stand alone, I'm sure there'd be plenty of human compliance based stories, but I don;t know if it would be worth the mountain of stale xenos killing like the stuff in Lord of Ultramar.

AD-B, for what it's worth you have had Horus Reborn weave aside.

Marshal, I do wish more had been made of that with the trilogy. Cutting down on the Titan guys (as I struggle to reconcile them with the bloodthirsty rep of Mortis anyway) and showing more of the Legion, even showing more war against the Interex and Auretians if it serves that end.

Edited by bluntblade

I think I'd go further with Wolf Cull - it's an opportunity to do a sweeping vista. Abaddon as a youth, Abaddon reformed and Imperialised, Abaddon realising Horus lacks ambition, Abaddon the Astartes supremacist, Abaddon actually finding himself infatuated with Horus' newfound ambition, Abaddon unleashed...

Mostly it'll be focused on that culling (hell, Abaddon might have been a marine *before* Russ was found!), but it's a prime opportunity for reflection, rumination, desire, aspirations!

Marshal, I do wish more had been made of that with the trilogy. Cutting down on the Titan guys (as I struggle to reconcile them with the bloodthirsty rep of Mortis anyway) and showing more of the Legion, even showing more war against the Interex and Auretians if it serves that end.

Again, agreed. Not much to add on my end. I don't actually really like the Sons of Horus/Luna Wolves in the opening trilogy, but it doesn't bother me because those were the formative early days of the Heresy and those characterisations matter less to me than those in the post-FW's black book era, if that makes sense.

Isn't The Primarchs basically a Great Crusade series? I can't really get behind a stand alone, I'm sure there'd be plenty of human compliance based stories, but I don;t know if it would be worth the mountain of stale xenos killing like the stuff in Lord of Ultramar.

Not really. When people think of a Great Crusade series I assume they think of one equivalent to the HH - beginning at X point and progressing through, picking up each Primarch one by one, covering Ullanor in detail, etc. I don't think this is warranted personally, and I don't think that BL would want to do something like that with the GC anyway. But that kind of suggestion feels to me like a very different beast when compared to the Primarchs series, and other short stories like it, which are based around the character of the Primarchs and events of personal importance to them, rather than the Great Crusade itself.

Something that we need to take into consideration is what a complex, monumental effort it was to do a 50-plus-novel series detailing seven years' worth of galactic war. It's practically impossible to expect a dedicated series that tackles the Great Crusade as a whole. I think what would work much better is if Black Library eventually did a Great Crusade sub-label, wherein the more popular/trusted authors could pitch ideas for a novel or a mini-series within that era, as they saw fit and as it made sense for the publishing schedule.

I don't think a Great Crusade series would do anything. Maybe if there were notable performances in a novella or something. But the whole crusade is essentially "meet species X, battle, species X is destroyed, compliance is reached. Move on. Or in the case of human populations, they are wiped out or liberated from xeno's.

It would be interesting to see if the Interex were completely wiped out or if they survived somewhere.