=][= Unit(s) of the week: Master of Ordnance =][=

duz_

It has come to the Commissariat's attention that some of you have not being keeping up with your regular training requirements. As such we intend to rectify this immediately by commencing an intensive re-education of the command corps. Failure will not be tolerated!

This will be a weekly series of threads aimed at discussing the units available to the Astra Miliatrum in 8th edition. This can become a resource for those finding their feet in 8th and our brothers in arms who have joined the fight in the glorious Imperial Guard.

Let the Emeperor's wrath rain for the skies and let it be guided onto the heads of his enemies! 
In this lesson we focus acknowledge the help our friendly field artillery officer the Master of Ordnance provides.

For 38pts this model provides a once per game big bang, with his BS3+. Which means, on your average D6 roll of a 4, expect ~2.67 hits. These hits he will most likely kill 1 or 2 two MEQ models, or strip ~4 wounds off a multi wound unit.
His roll is meant to be a force multiplier, however with only a 3" bubble it means only 2 - 3 models tops will benefit from him. The 36" minimum requirement further impedes his abilities and seems somewhat arbitrary. Given most deployments see the enemy withing 36" by the end of turn one, it is naught but I'm possible to maximise this ability. 
Hopefully this guy see a bit of a buff in the codex, or the removal of the 36" requirement, as I believe many of you have already found out that there are other models that provide a better, more consistent buff to our mortar shell lobbing comrades!
Edited by duz_

It has come to the Commissariat's attention that some of you have not being keeping up with your regular training requirements. As such we intend to rectify this immediately by commencing an intensive re-education of the command corps. Failure will not be tolerated!

For 38pts this model provides a once per game big bang, unfortunately he is still BS4+. Which means, on your average D6 roll of a 4, expect 2 hits. These hits he will most likely kill 1 or 2 two MEQ models, or strip 4 wounds off a multi wound unit.

He's BS 3+, unless you aren't aiming at something you can see. 

He's not exactly the height of usefulness though. I don't think he's an abysmal choice, simply because he is kinda cheap, and useful for alpha striking the enemy. But he also isn't a competitive one.  

He's BS 3+, unless you aren't aiming at something you can see. 

He's not exactly the height of usefulness though. I don't think he's an abysmal choice, simply because he is kinda cheap, and useful for alpha striking the enemy. But he also isn't a competitive one.  

Correct you are! Glad to see people in class are paying attention! ;)

I've only used him in one game so far, but he did pretty decently parked between two Basilisks. He ended up generating at least one reroll to hit pretty much every turn (my opponent did stay weirdly far away from them, which helped meet the 36" criteria). He was a nice bonus to have. Now if he was as good as most of a Plasma SWS, or another 4 mortars, I'm not sure.