Audio Books

Knockagh

I asked James Swallow in twitter if he was going to write a full length novel on the characters from the drama so we could see them fleshed out. Sadly he said they were always designed to be audio characters and no novel was being considered. I loved AH old rogue trader books and still think rogue traders are an untapped mine of gold for BL. I would have loved some attention to be given to the Rogue Trader culture beyond an all action audio. It is strange that we haven’t seen any follow ups.

I have enjoyed some of the dramas transitions to print though, particularly some of the Heresy ones.

My one exception to audio drama is Master Imus's Transgression. Absolutely brilliant in audio, very atmospheric. Scary stuff. But I already knew the main character from novels so the drama added to a character already established in my head rather than trying to introduce me to someone I don’t know.

There's a fair chance there might be something in the works there, Pete. That is: there's a Rogue Trader boxed set coming down the line (there were some previous at an event in April/May), so I'd be surprised if someone hasn't jumped on that to write a novel or thirty!

• 3 weeks later...

The Hunger is now on Audible, but they still haven't fixed the date-twister for Born of Flame or The Darkness in the Glass. Still no The Undying King or Soul Wars, despite the latter being an introduction to a major release. No Old Earth yet either, what, a year on? No Blackshields: Red Thief, or Jaghatai Khan: Warhawk of Chogoris either.

And in a move that boggles the mind, they just listed C.L. Werner's follow-up to the Iron Dragon novel for September, as a preorder, with no cover. A book that, as far as I am aware, has not even been officially announced yet and is NOT listed in BL's coming soon section.

Whoever is in charge of BL's Audible releases, please do a better job. Why the hell is this so inconsistent when most indie authors and publishers can handle it just fine?

• 2 weeks later...

The Hunger is a good audio drama. these been a couple of good Flesh Tearers audio drama's lately - The Assassination of Gabriel Seth and now this. Seems to be leading the Fish Tearers in some direction. The ending of The Hunger is rather bleak. ties in the current Chapter Master and the original one - Amit. 

• 3 months later...

Heads up, Warhammer Community announced that they'll be having an audiobook bundle at Humblebundle, which should be going live tonight (in around 3 and a half hours from now). They stated there'll be about 25 audios total, and Humble's tiered system is gonna be in place, too. So even if you're just a tiny bit curious, there'll be a $1 tier as well.

Confirmed via WHC right now are Dark Imperium, Horus Rising, Slayer of the Storm God (Gotrek & Felix) and the Knights of Vengeance AoS audio dramas. That leaves a bunch more for the reveal tonight!

I... I love that typo. Now I want a Flesh Tearers successor with the blood drop on their iconography replaced with a mackarel or something, and have all kinds of fishy names for the Fish Tearers Captains...

http://i.imgur.com/oxrmO.jpg

...but in typical 40k fashion, the Fish Tearers are SO angry, they actually can chop down trees with herrings!

Holy cow, David Tennant and Billie Piper are doing audiobooks!

Warhammer Adventures: The Audiobooks

BLBlog-Nov7-Header-6jv.jpg

In February 2019, younger readers will be able to explore the worlds of Warhammer in a new way as the first Warhammer Adventures books arrive in stores. Designed and written for readers aged 8 and up, these novels by Cavan Scott and Tom Huddleston feature young heroes battling the dangers of the 41st Millennium and the Mortal Realms.

One of the things we’ve been asked a lot is whether there will be audiobook editions as well, for those who prefer to listen to their favourite stories. We can exclusively reveal that there will be and that they’re being read by a couple of people you might just recognise…

The Warhammer 40,000 Warped Galaxies series will be read by David Tennant, while Billie Piper will be reading the Warhammer Age of Sigmar Realm Quest stories. Both are stars of stage and screen, with an incredible array of credits.

BLBlog-Nov7-Portraits-1ov.jpg

David is renowned for his theatrical work with the Royal Shakespeare Company, and his voiceover talents can be heard in dozens of television shows, audiobooks and audio dramas. Of course, he’s probably best known as the tenth incarnation of television’s Doctor Who, where he travelled through time and space from 2005 until 2010 – famously alongside Billie Piper. He will be reading the Warped Galaxies series, starting with Attack of the Necron.

BLBlog-Nov7-NecronAudiobook-98ro.jpg

Billie Piper became a household name after two years playing the nation’s favourite companion in the hit relaunch of Doctor Who. She has now established herself as a critically acclaimed and awarded actor. She’s no stranger to voice acting, having reunited with her former Doctor Who co-star for a series of audio dramas in 2017. Billie will be reading City of Lifestone, and the following books in the Realm Quest series.

BLBlog-Nov7-LifestoneAudioBook-99lr.jpg

Both David and Billie will bring a wealth of acting experience, a passion for children’s literature and a love of science fiction and fantasy to the Warhammer Adventures audiobooks, and you can be sure that you’ll be in for a treat listening to them. The audiobooks will be available when both series launch in February 2019 – but you can listen to exclusive extracts from the audiobook editions now, only on the Warhammer Adventures website, where you’ll also find more details about these fantastic new books, along with quizzes, games and more.

If you’ve yet to experience Black Library audiobooks and audio dramas and want to give them a go (or if you just want to expand your collection), there’s a great way to do so coming very soon, in the form of the new Black Library Audio Humble Bundle, Voices from the Worlds of Warhammer.

BLBlog-Nov7-HumbleBundle-4if.jpg

This is a specially curated collection of audiobooks and audio dramas from the worlds of Warhammer 40,000, Warhammer Age of Sigmar, Warhammer Chronicles and The Horus Heresy. It includes some of the greatest stories from those settings, including Horus RisingSlayer of the Storm GodDark Imperium and the entire Knights of Vengeance audio drama series.

BLBlog-Nov7-SlayerOfTheStormGod-5jc.jpg BLBlog-Nov7-HorusRising-6jc.jpg BLBlog-Nov7-DarkImperium07oi.jpg

There are a total of nearly 25 audio adventures in the bundle, across three tiers of content – the first of which you can get by paying as little as $1 (or local equivalent). The Voices from the Worlds of Warhammer bundle will be going live on the Humble website later today – keep an eye out for it!

Edited by Petitioner's City

The Humble Bundle sounds fantastic, hopefully the audio is uncompressed as it would be nice to replace some of my Audible Purchases.

What the heck is Warhammer Adventures??? I've been out of the loop for about 6 months on a lot of 40k goings on... is this Games Workshop is pushing Grimdark for 3 year olds? It just looks so Cartoon Network.

Not sure how i feel about mainstream actors being brought into the Black Library Audio fold, does this now make the total 4? I'd rather see some of the amazing talent we used to get with Heavy Entertainment return; Martyn Ellis, David Timson, Séan Barrett, Jane Collingwood, Chris Fairbank, Danny Webb etc... no offence to Brian Blessed, David Tennant and... Billie Piper (really?!) but in terms of convincing character range / performance it's going to be hard for them to hold a candle to some of the amazing talent that Black Library have at their disposal. Proof will be in the pudding i suppose.

The Financial Times had an article recently were they described GW as having more cash than they know what to do with, the brexit debacle have benefited them massively. Good to see they are investing some of it in quality actors! I think quality like that could really pay off in audio.

I want Samuel L Jackson and Morgan Freeman next!

Martyn Ellis did the original Horus Rising, False God’s, and Galaxy in Flames. It was amazing! Best voice acting for Horus. I pity those who have only heard the newer version.

It was good but Toby is in a different league, this bit always made me laugh from Martyn:

One of my favorites! Thanks for sharing! So awesome. It’s where I started. Now I own almost every audio.

Know No Fear and Fear To Tread which was narrated by Armstrong was fantastic as well. Unremembered Empire was one of best. I thought it was Toby but BL lists David Tinson?

I... I love that typo. Now I want a Flesh Tearers successor with the blood drop on their iconography replaced with a mackarel or something, and have all kinds of fishy names for the Fish Tearers Captains...

http://i.imgur.com/oxrmO.jpg

...but in typical 40k fashion, the Fish Tearers are SO angry, they actually can chop down trees with herrings!

I haven't been on here in an age, logged in to see what's what and saw this...a quality correct/ miscorrect by my iPhone.

Indefragable beat me to it. First thing i thought of was a herring after reading DarkChaplain's reply. Cut down the enemy from 100 paces with a cured herring. made my night this...

The Financial Times had an article recently were they described GW as having more cash than they know what to do with, the brexit debacle have benefited them massively. Good to see they are investing some of it in quality actors! I think quality like that could really pay off in audio.

I want Samuel L Jackson and Morgan Freeman next!

Samuel L Jackson as Angron would be quality. Morgan Freeman would have to be the Big E.

I have an audible credit to use - would you guys recommend Slaves to Darkness or Lords of Silence? Hopefully by the time the next credit generated in December I can listen to Titandeath :smile.:

Lords of Silence. The book did surprise me with the portrayal of the Death Guard. 

Slaves to Darkness is good but LoS, for me, was the best of the two

I have an audible credit to use - would you guys recommend Slaves to Darkness or Lords of Silence? Hopefully by the time the next credit generated in December I can listen to Titandeath :smile.:

Watchers of the Throne :P

That one did tickle my fancy as well. Think Lords of Silence will get my credit though it sounds really interesting.

I have an audible credit to use - would you guys recommend Slaves to Darkness or Lords of Silence? Hopefully by the time the next credit generated in December I can listen to Titandeath :)

Watchers of the Throne :P

That one did tickle my fancy as well. Think Lords of Silence will get my credit though it sounds really interesting.

Can I retract my recommendation?

However amazing Lords of Solence is, Watchers of the Throne is even more so; had I known you hadn’t heard that, there would have been no question. The three narrators really enhance the different perspectives the story is told from. Watchers of the Throne is the book that the Beast Arises series tried to be...

• 1 month later...

Audible currently having a sale for members with up to 40% off everything; I’ve taken advantage of buying the shorter listens I’ve been hankering after that I couldn’t quite justify spending a credit on- Titansbane, Prophets of Waagh and the Interrogation of Whathisface; book 2 of the Horusian Wars has somehow dropped below a fiver so I picked that up too.

I’m a massive fan of The Archers, but for whatever reason struggle a little with audio dramas- are there any others worth trying? I couldn’t hack the Mechanicum voice in the sample of Blackshield, but is that worth preserving with? Any others?