Headcannon: Mark IX Armor

Endova

Among the many questions posed by the introduction of the Primaris Marines is the existence, or lack thereof, of Mark IX armor. Mark X seems to have seems to have popped up alone, with no mention of it's predecessor; though obviously this is simply because GW wanted to skip to a nice round number for its new Marinier-Marines. Still, it's a plot hole some of the more detail oriented folks have been grappling with, and I have some simple headcannon to deal with the issue;

"Being the genius he is, Cawl realized that while 'Mark X Tacticus' armor would have to be the most technologically advanced and robust line of power armor yet, it would have to acknowledge the heritage of Astartes Armor that spans millennia, if it were to ever be truly respected by the Space Marines.

To that end, Cawl labored extensively to ensure the maximum possible level of backwards-compatibility between the components and subsystems of his new armor and those of venerated older marks. Obviously due to the size differences between Primaris Marines and their older brethren Astartes, some of the critical areas of plating will be impossible to merge. However great care has been taken to make sure that protective shoulder plating, helmets, and numerous internal sensors and smaller components are forwards and backwards compatible. In a pinch, older backpacks can be modified to serve Mk. X armor, although under severe load due to the increased size and weight of Mk. X.

In order to commemorate this extreme level of component adaptability, a 'hybrid' Mark was designated, 'Mark IX Transitus" which in simpler terms, would refer to any suit built from components of Mk. X armor and older patterns. Should a Primaris Marine earn the right to wear an ancient helm of 'Mark VI Corvus' armor or a 'Mark IV Maximus' pauldron, this reassembled suit would now be known as Mk. IX. Likewise, Mark X components are relatively plentiful across the galaxy, so if the ebb-and flow of logistics leads to a suit of crippled Mk.VII armor being repaired with the helm or serves of Mk. X, these new components would become part of the identity of that suit and it's Machine Spirit, and thus would also be known as a 'Mark IX Transitus' suit."

So just my little way of answering this question. Feel free to use this or critique it. I'm open to discussion of the idea. Thanks for reading!

tl;dr - Mark IX is any suit comprised of Mark X components and parts from older suits, be it adding older pieces to Mark X or vice versa.

Edited by Endova

My personal head theory is that mkX is a continuation of mk4/6 (which was said to be very advanced once upon a time). If you look at the basic progression, you have (more or less) a couple families of power armor design based on greaves, helmets, etc. Off the top of my head:

Mk2 -> Mk3 (more armouring)

Mk4 -> Mk6 (more sophisticated sensors, easier to repair) -> Mk10 (Visual throwbacks to Mk4, likely incorporates the best sensors ala Mk6)

Mk5 ->Mk7 (Improvements too the Mk6, seems to incorporate some common Mk5 aesthetics) -> Mk8 (Improvements to weak joint armor) -> Mk10 (Joint protection carried forward)

If the Mk10 was in fact something started as an improvement on Mk4 (which is somewhat supported aesthetically), Mk9 may have been something that, successfully or unsuccessfully, built more heavily on Mk8 armour.

Or, the easiest solution: GW wants to keep us expecting a new toy to buy later on.

What about if Guilliman decided that the mismash of 40k-era armour marks should be treated like the Mk V of the Heresy?

Where legions had to patch armour suits with whatever they had available.

This may fit slightly closer with how GW have played the random assortment of armour marks.

We have the Thunderer 1 MK I

Crusade Armour Mk II

Iron Armour MK III

Maximus Armour IV

Heresy Armour V

Corvus Armour VI

Imperator Armour VII

Errant Armour VIII

"Dark Millenium" Armour IX (anything incorporating the previous marks together)

Whatever the new Mk X is called (can never remember)

I do find a transition-style suit interesting.  Where newer armour could be "traded" for older armour should the wearer be worthy enough.