Index or Codex? When to use what.

Damo1701

Using Index only loadouts is explicitly allowed, with Dreadnoughts using other weapon loadouts given as an example. Wargear options are part of Datasheets. Since those options are not on the Codex Datasheets, the only way to take them is to use the Index Datasheets. Those are the most recent rules for that unit, which is specifically stated to be allowed. You're also told to use the most recent points. Most of those points are in the Codex, a few are only in the Index.

My above breakdown is the logical summation of what was stated on the Codex Q&A page.

I'd have thought that you have to use the data sheet with the options you wish to use

So to clarify with a hypothetical situation:

Index Sternguard: Power Level X and have the option to for the Thunderhammer.

Codex Sternguard: Power Level X-1, no option for a Thunderhammer, have the (imaginary) ability *Paragons of the Chapter* which allows friendly <Chapter> Units within 6" to re-roll 2s to hit in the shooting phase.

You couldn't take the Codex unit (cheaper with a cool rule) with a Thunderhammer, you'd have to take the quantifiably less good Index version.

Is that correct?

Rik

Pretty much.

Here's how it works regarding Index vs Codex.

Matched play is about the only time it actually matters, so I'll use points instead of power.

Say you've got Model C with a thunder hammer that is legal in the Index. The model costs 90 points and the hammer costs 20 for a total cost of 110.

Then the Codex comes out and removes the hammer as an option for Model X, and also gives it +1 attack while raising the cost to 95. At the same time, the thunder hammer receives a cost increase of 2 points to 22.

The model is still legal to use the way it is. But it now has 1 more attack and costs 117 points instead of the 110 it did before.

Edited by Claws and Effect

I'd have thought that you have to use the data sheet with the options you wish to use

Codex Sternguard: Power Level X-1, no option for a Thunderhammer, have the (imaginary) ability *Paragons of the Chapter* which allows friendly <Chapter> Units within 6" to re-roll 2s to hit in the shooting phase.

You couldn't take the Codex unit (cheaper with a cool rule) with a Thunderhammer, you'd have to take the quantifiably less good Index version.

Is that correct?

Rik

Not entirely.

As the Codex removed options that aren't available in the boxes, that doesn't mean you have to suffer through inferior rules.

For example, the most recent RULES are in the Codex, however, model options from the index are legitimate for existing models.

Just like you take the points from the Codex.

It would be like saying "ooh... that's an index Space Marine model... it doesn't benefit from anything in the Codex like stratagems..."

Remember, the intent is to allow people to use existing models. With the most current rules available.

In other other other words: if you build it, you can play with it (within reasonable reason). Go forth and game on!

I do feel like, in editions to come, we'll be saying things like "Well, I built my Dreadnoughts back in the old days when they could have guns on their left arms" because the index-only models will be eventually phased out altogether. Or GW will produce a new Dreadnought kit with two sets of guns (unlikely, IMO).

Is that correct?

Rik

Not entirely.

As the Codex removed options that aren't available in the boxes, that doesn't mean you have to suffer through inferior rules.

For example, the most recent RULES are in the Codex, however, model options from the index are legitimate for existing models.

Just like you take the points from the Codex.

It would be like saying "ooh... that's an index Space Marine model... it doesn't benefit from anything in the Codex like stratagems..."

Remember, the intent is to allow people to use existing models. With the most current rules available.

But I'm not saying that "Stratagems", "Chapter Tactics" and the like wouldn't apply.

I'm saying, if you CHOOSE to use a Datasheet, you use it in its entirety.

Rik

No, Rik.  The options on the Codex datasheet can be supplemented by the options on the Index datasheet.  The stat line, special abilities, and points/power levels from the Codex are, however, used regardless of whether you're taking options from the Codex datasheet or Index datasheet.

This honestly isn't hard.  I don't understand why people are overthinking it so much.

But I'm not saying that "Stratagems", "Chapter Tactics" and the like wouldn't apply.

I'm saying, if you CHOOSE to use a Datasheet, you use it in its entirety.

Rik

The thing is that that situation doesn't currently exist. At present, the only difference between a datasheet in the index and in the codex (if there is any) is with wargear options. Edited by Ciler