T'au 8th Ed. Wishlisting

Skaorn

Not that I know of. The only AI like things Suits have are the Support Systems like Target Lock and Advanced Targeting Systems but those aren't even on the level of Drones so I don't think they are worth calling AI.

Riptides are the most high tech suits T'au have overall thanks to the increased energy output from the nova reactor but there is no such thing as an AI helper afaik and even the Stormsurge (despite lacking the Battlesuit keyword) uses a second pilot instead of an AI helper.

Drones even get overwritten by the vehicles systems when they're attached (hence why Gun Drones on Devilfishes/Hammerheads shoot with the vehicles BS instead of their own).

Farsight has a Broadside in his "Eight" that is 100% AI, however that's kept secret since the T'au don't go full AI warfare neither with Drones nor with Battlesuits.

I think it was in the Kauyon or Mont'ka campaign book.. Cant remember exactly, But I think I read it in one of them.. Sorry, Been some time since I read the fluff, I just remember it but not exactly where it is from. I dident get the 7th edition codex, I got Kauyon and Mont'ka instead (More fluff, and worked like a upgrade for the 6th edition codex)

Edit: Ah! Here it is, Page 70 of the Kauyon fluff book "As Ghostkeel Pilots spend long periods of time isolated in enemy territory, many form unusualy strong bonds with their battlesuit A.I. Indeed, in some cases theese eccentric warriors become so introverted that they prefer the company of their suit's AI to that of other Tau."

I see!

I barely remember stuff from the Kauyon/Mont'ka fluff to be honest. Thanks for checking the source!

Too bad it doesn't get into detail about how advanced the AI is. I doubt it's on the level of it actually communicating directly with the pilot or even fight without the pilot tho. Probably "just" a very advanced collection of helpful subroutines to assist the pilot.

• 3 weeks later...

My main wish is for the Forge World Hammerhead turrets to be made available in plastic. 

Why? Because frankly, the railgun turret is just too effective and versatile (and therefore the go-to option). The Leman Russ tank kits from GW already have the parts to make many Leman Russ Variants. The Hammerhead kit only has three options: Ion Cannon, Railgun, and the Skyray Gunship conversion. 

The dual-mounted Long-Barrelled Burst Cannon option once offered by FW could be a great anti-air option for the Hammerhead now. So could the old dual-mounted HYMPs Hammerhead. The dual-mounted Plasma Cannons would make a Hammerhead an interesting competitor to the Leman Russ Executioner if the rules were balanced for the former. If these and the other turret options were available in the plastic kit we'd see more of them and not just railguns all the time. 

Also, I have no idea why GW had to resort to making the various Tidewall fortifications when they could have made terrain-style fortifications using the FW Drone Sentry Turrets and Remote Sensor towers. The Sentry Turret weapons should be modular for the bases, so you could make a defensive line with whatever weapons you want, and maybe even a Remote Sensor Tower nearby to boost the accuracy of Tau infantry hiding behind the defensive line. 

I would like to have Fusion Blades that do not break in battle. If they didnt break in 7E they could have been worth taking on a battlesuit teamed up Farsight and another with the Onager Fist! On that note, I would like the battlesuits who have equipped these melee relic systems to have WS3+.

It makes more sense those piloting these melee enhanced battlesuits to have the combat skill of at least a Cadre Fireblade.

What? The Railgun hammerhead is absolutely terrible. It does slightly more than a single lascannon shot but costs way way more.

Compare it with the damage output of Leman Russ tanks, LasPreds, or even just the double-Railgun from the Tidewall and you'll see how terrible it performs in comparison.

The Burstcannon turret from FW is allright. Does less than the Assault Cannon Razorbacks for more points but at least the hammerhead has FLY I guess.

I would like to have Fusion Blades that do not break in battle. If they didnt break in 7E they could have been worth taking on a battlesuit teamed up Farsight and another with the Onager Fist! On that note, I would like the battlesuits who have equipped these melee relic systems to have WS3+.

It makes more sense those piloting these melee enhanced battlesuits to have the combat skill of at least a Cadre Fireblade.

I used the blades on a Commander a lot in 7th and even if they didn't break they were barely worth it with the low amount of attacks and low initiative of T'au unfortunately.

I wouldn't expect regular Crisis Suits to be able to take something like Fusion Blades anymore. Those things are most likely going to be relics which are for characters.

I used the blades on a Commander a lot in 7th and even if they didn't break they were barely worth it with the low amount of attacks and low initiative of T'au unfortunately.

I wouldn't expect regular Crisis Suits to be able to take something like Fusion Blades anymore. Those things are most likely going to be relics which are for characters.

Well hopefully the Commander from The Eight that uses them will have a WS3+ and at least 3A.

Well hopefully the Commander from The Eight that uses them will have a WS3+ and at least 3A.

That would make him slightly better than a Thunderhammer Terminator I guess. Only problem is that he's all alone in a shooty army and the Terminator isn't. ^^

That would make him slightly better than a Thunderhammer Terminator I guess. Only problem is that he's all alone in a shooty army and the Terminator isn't. ^^

Well Fusion Blades come from the FSE lore which contains Farsight and the Onager Fist as well. I can see all 3 melee battlesuits rolling together across the battlefield behind enemy lines. 

As long as the Fusion Blades and Onager Fist work decently in CC, so that they can properly (somewhat) wreck face along with Farsight in a brawl, I'll be happy. Obviously Im not expecting anything competitive against the meta, but if the Codex lets us run those three CC battlesuits in the one army, it'll make the time im spending modelling the Fblades and OFist worth it!

Tau plasma rifles to either be 30" range rapid fire 1, or be 24" range rapid fire 2 (still keep s6 and all)

Burst cannons go to 24" and stay assault 4 or stay at 18" and become rapid fire 4.

Missile pods going to assault 3.

Vehicle burst cannons getting extra range or shots. The one on the plane needs to have the same profile as the riptides burst cannon without a Nova charge.

Oh yeah. Heavy burst cannon should start at 12 shots, novacharge to 24.

Railguns over penetrate targets (so you can shoot through the Ork mob to hit a truck)

And Jump shoot jump back.

Railgun (like Real Railgun, not a :cussty heavy rail rifle) option for Riptides.

And make heavy rail rifles Real Railguns again, or give them the dispersed shots at least (probably the most realistic wish of mine on here)

Missile Pods with Assault 3 would be nice just for the fact that the bit has 3 missiles already. ^^

I'd be fine with Burst Cannons staying the way they are but getting AP-1.

Railguns with a Beam like rule would be very cool and true to the fluff.

Missile Pods with Assault 3 would be nice just for the fact that the bit has 3 missiles already. ^^

I'd be fine with Burst Cannons staying the way they are but getting AP-1.

Railguns with a Beam like rule would be very cool and true to the fluff.

either that, or give rail guns a insanly high -ap modifier

S10, AP-8, Dam D6

What would that matter? Anything above AP-4 is pretty much wasted anyway unless it's a 2+ armor target and maybe in cover since a 6+ isn't exactly reliable either anyway.

Something else that would matter would be if the Railgun would ignore invulnerable saves tho. It would be the first weapon in 8th edition to do that tho I think so not very likely.

Maybe part of the problem is that the weapon systems that GW has been adding in the last several years have been too good compared to the older units. For instance you had stormraven spam rather than AC/HB predator spam. While I agree that the rail gun got a serious blow to both the solid and submunitions, I think old weapons have a hard time keeping up with what's on the Riptide or stormsurge.

The only other thing I can think of to buff rail weapon systems is

S10, ap-4, dam d6, on a roll of a 6, if the munition is hypersonic, the round keeps traveling, use a ruler to see if any enemy model is within 3" of the line, if so the first model takes a s8, ap -4, d6 hit.

If the round is sub sonic the target hit takes one additional d6 dam

Eh, that buff would do basically nothing to make Railguns more usable. Relying on 6s on a singleshot weapon is beyond terrible.

Tho the 2d6 damage to the initial target sounds promising. Ultimately just two Lascannons that are hit or miss tho.

I think tanks that have only one gun needs to have a gun that borders on making the opponent scream OP to be able to compete with things like Predators/Razorbacks, double shooting T8 Leman Russes & Co.

Perhaps ignoring cover would be an option. While you might not get hit by a Lascannon because your position was obscured, having an object pass close by you at Mach 16 will likely do horrible things, besides punching through the wall you were behind.

I think tanks that have only one gun needs to have a gun that borders on making the opponent scream OP to be able to compete with things like Predators/Razorbacks, double shooting T8 Leman Russes & Co.

Remember when the Rail Gun caused people to scream OP

Ignore cover is just a situational buff on the AP. Do Railguns really need AP-5 tho? They usually target stuff that doesn't get as easily cover anyway.

something basic to fix this,

Hammer head Rail weapons are now STR 12 Heavy 4

Broadsides STR 10 Heavy 2

Pathfinders STR 8 Heavy 1

Just to show how utterly strong rail weapons are

Archived