Review - Black Legion General Release Date 24/08/17

Damo1701

(I'm fairly sure the release date is correct for general release...)

Well, it took me around 4 hours of reading to complete the second instalment of the Black Legion Series by Aaron Dembski-Bowden.

I'll try to avoid spoilers for those who haven't read it yet.

Firstly, a look at the book itself: An excellent hard back novel, with higher than expected paper quality. Heavier than usual for a Black Library release in my general experience.

The artwork is interesting in the fact where it MAY depict characters from the series, or nameless grunts. Seeing as the depicted colour schemes don't match with those described.

The Story: A large amount of time has passed, if you can call it that in the Eye of Terror, since the end of Talon of Horus.

Many characters we got to know are either mentioned or expanded, while there is a surprise introduction of a supporting Character from Betrayer.

The writing is of the excellent quality we generally enjoy from the author, however, whoever prepared it for print needs a bit of a slap for the formatting error on page 15, paragraph 2...

Continuity wasn't awful, though some parts felt a little glossed over, like a total change of allegiance from neutrality in the Legion Wars.

Overall, even though I'm not a massive supporter or follower of the Traitor Legions, I have really become invested in this series, and the talent to tell the stories of the figures that have plagued the Imperium since the Heresy has been brought to the fore.

Tallying the depiction of Abaddon in the Black Legion Series with that of the Horus Heresy series, and adding in the fluff published with his model release and subsequent codex entries is an interesting experience to say the least.

I've enjoyed the twists and turns, the surprises and predictable parts equally. Sometimes it's nice to know you share a random thought with a favoured author.

So, total score for the novel is 9/10. Honestly, a fantastic read, highly recommended.

Tallying the depiction of Abaddon in the Black Legion Series with that of the Horus Heresy series, and adding in the fluff published with his model release and subsequent codex entries is an interesting experience to say the least.

I find this to be one of the easiest things to reconcile. To me, the model and W40K entries are written by Imperial sources for the mist part, and detail what they think happened. The BL series is (mostly) the story of what did happen, taking into account that Khayon will no doubt be throwing in the fib for his own reasons.

(I'm fairly sure the release date is correct for general release...)

Well, it took me around 4 hours of reading to complete the second instalment of the Black Legion Series by Aaron Dembski-Bowden.

I'll try to avoid spoilers for those who haven't read it yet.

Firstly, a look at the book itself: An excellent hard back novel, with higher than expected paper quality. Heavier than usual for a Black Library release in my general experience.

The artwork is interesting in the fact where it MAY depict characters from the series, or nameless grunts. Seeing as the depicted colour schemes don't match with those described.

The Story: A large amount of time has passed, if you can call it that in the Eye of Terror, since the end of Talon of Horus.

Many characters we got to know are either mentioned or expanded, while there is a surprise introduction of a supporting Character from Betrayer.

The writing is of the excellent quality we generally enjoy from the author, however, whoever prepared it for print needs a bit of a slap for the formatting error on page 15, paragraph 2...

Continuity wasn't awful, though some parts felt a little glossed over, like a total change of allegiance from neutrality in the Legion Wars.

Overall, even though I'm not a massive supporter or follower of the Traitor Legions, I have really become invested in this series, and the talent to tell the stories of the figures that have plagued the Imperium since the Heresy has been brought to the fore.

I've enjoyed the twists and turns, the surprises and predictable parts equally. Sometimes it's nice to know you share a random thought with a favoured author.

So, total score for the novel is 9/10. Honestly, a fantastic read, highly recommended.

Good job - now if you would be so kind could you explain, answer some questions? I'm curious -

1) What do you mean GENERAL RELEASE DATE? It was 'generally' released on the 12th of August in Hardback and Ebook.

2) 'The artwork is interesting in the fact where it MAY depict characters from the series, or nameless grunts.' - There are no illustrations in ebook, hardback or even limited editions. What did you mean?

3) 'Many characters we got to know are either mentioned or expanded, while there is a surprise introduction of a supporting Character from Betrayer.' - not even close. Most of them are mentioned in several sentences just for the filler of it. Are you sure you read 'The Black Legion'?

4) 'whoever prepared it for print needs a bit of a slap for the formatting error on page 15, paragraph 2...' - at least tell is it a hardback or LE?

5) 'total score for the novel is 9/10. Honestly, a fantastic read, highly recommended.' - agree. Why minus one?

In my case it was also the same with the flaws:

1) Daravek. Aaron started really good wit that character - that start of an assassination attempt/adventure mode/psyche proweness and abilities of Daravek/Khayon are truly masterfully given to us - portion by portion.

But after that Daravek image is totally ruined. In the part with the Warp Ghosts Thagus shown as a naive foolish and greedy warlord, in full contradiction to his previous view at the beginning. Also we haven't seen at all how Nurgle favoured his 'son'. It all was skipped on the rush to the ending.

I do understand that this is a Khayon/Abaddon/BL novel - and this 3 are the main protagonists. And all the story are made for and about them. But at the end Thagus was shown as even more pathetic attempt of an antagonist.

He is absolutely on the different polar side from what he should have been. And I/we should have expected more from Aaron in writing a truly believable and 'horrible' antagonist for the main party.

It started awesome and fallen flat in the end.

2) Ezekarion. Again - the story was written for Khayon/Abaddon/BL. But Ezekarion and it's hierarchy is the cornerstone of what BL epitomise. While adding additional length to Khayon views, Abaddon ambitions and BL progression - still more pages could have been given for the Firefist, Masqued Prince, Valicar etc. They are present - they have a string of dialogs to each of them. But they do not feel 'alive' on the same level as Khayon/Abaddon/BL. Of course they are additional passengers here - but they are not a solid passengers with a free will.

It is almost sad how the story goes. 

Again - even Delvarus through a nice fanservice feels more like a bystander added just for the fanservice of it all and to show how far BL reach can go.

3) Depth of Abaddon belief. You could count him as a strange soul raging against the storm while standing in a boat in the middle of Atlantic. But that doesn't help to feel how predestined it all was. I got a feeling that from the moment he got the 'Talon' he 'WAS' predestined to hear the 'call of the sword', to meet Moriana and to build the Empire of an Eye. In that case - it makes him a hypocrite of grandest proportions. Also that makes him a very fragile individuum - the one who would lose everything just to make it by his own choice. To be vindicated in the eyes of his 'brothers' (especially on the Imperium side). His vindicta is a hypocritical assumption based on his own desires. True - at least half of the CSM have it for the Imperium of Mankind. But does anyone go to such lengths for it's own measure? That makes Abaddon truly unique in all his rage against fate.

But at the same time - it was all predestined? Moriana parts lead us exactly to that conclusion. But if that's the case A D-B - then Abaddon is not free of the Gods- he is their biggest joke and best puppet.

+ badly depicted void war though the eyes of the prophet-poet instead of melting metal of dying ships.

Good job - now if you would be so kind could you explain, answer some questions? I'm curious -

1) What do you mean GENERAL RELEASE DATE? It was 'generally' released on the 12th of August in Hardback and Ebook.

2) 'The artwork is interesting in the fact where it MAY depict characters from the series, or nameless grunts.' - There are no illustrations in ebook, hardback or even limited editions. What did you mean?

3) 'Many characters we got to know are either mentioned or expanded, while there is a surprise introduction of a supporting Character from Betrayer.' - not even close. Most of them are mentioned in several sentences just for the filler of it. Are you sure you read 'The Black Legion'?

4) 'whoever prepared it for print needs a bit of a slap for the formatting error on page 15, paragraph 2...' - at least tell is it a hardback or LE?

5) 'total score for the novel is 9/10. Honestly, a fantastic read, highly recommended.' - agree. Why minus one?

1)  I've had Black Legion on Pre-order since it was announced, I didn't go for the limited edition version, and mine arrived on the advertised release date as I posted.  I suspect that Black Library may have released it generally or through events a bit sooner, otherwise, I have the basic hardback edition.

2) Sorry, I was talking about the cover art for the version I have.  If needed, I can post a picture of it.

3) Yes, most of them are mentioned, many is a different word to most in this instance.  Some, however, had very little to give a proper reason for how and why they ended up where they did.

4) General Release Hard Back.

5) Some parts felt glossed over, while others had almost enough detail.  The change in familiar, for one.  That felt very glossed over seeing as the familiar is a fairly substantial support character, at least in my opinion.  

1) Daravek. Aaron started really good wit that character - that start of an assassination attempt/adventure mode/psyche proweness and abilities of Daravek/Khayon are truly masterfully given to us - portion by portion.

But after that Daravek image is totally ruined. In the part with the Warp Ghosts Thagus shown as a naive foolish and greedy warlord, in full contradiction to his previous view at the beginning. Also we haven't seen at all how Nurgle favoured his 'son'. It all was skipped on the rush to the ending.

I do understand that this is a Khayon/Abaddon/BL novel - and this 3 are the main protagonists. And all the story are made for and about them. But at the end Thagus was shown as even more pathetic attempt of an antagonist.

He is absolutely on the different polar side from what he should have been. And I/we should have expected more from Aaron in writing a truly believable and 'horrible' antagonist for the main party.

2) Ezekarion. Again - the story was written for Khayon/Abaddon/BL. But Ezekarion and it's hierarchy is the cornerstone of what BL epitomise. While adding additional length to Khayon views, Abaddon ambitions and BL progression - still more pages could have been given for the Firefist, Masqued Prince, Valicar etc. They are present - they have a string of dialogs to each of them. But they do not feel 'alive' on the same level as Khayon/Abaddon/BL. Of course they are additional passengers here - but they are not a solid passengers with a free will.

Again - even Delvarus through a nice fanservice feels more like a bystander added just for the fanservice of it all and to show how far BL reach can go.

3) Depth of Abaddon belief. You could count him as a strange soul raging against the storm while standing in a boat in the middle of Atlantic. But that doesn't help to feel how predestined it all was. I got a feeling that from the moment he got the 'Talon' he 'WAS' predestined to hear the 'call of the sword', to meet Moriana and to build the Empire of an Eye. In that case - it makes him a hypocrite of grandest proportions. Also that makes him a very fragile individuum - the one who would lose everything just to make it by his own choice. To be vindicated in the eyes of his 'brothers' (especially on the Imperium side). His vindicta is a hypocritical assumption based on his own desires. True - at least half of the CSM have it for the Imperium of Mankind. But does anyone go to such lengths for it's own measure? That makes Abaddon truly unique in all his rage against fate.

But at the same time - it was all predestined? Moriana parts lead us exactly to that conclusion. But if that's the case A D-B - then Abaddon is not free of the Gods- he is their biggest joke and best puppet.

+ badly depicted void war though the eyes of the prophet-poet instead of melting metal of dying ships.

1) I agree with how you view Daravek was handled.  There was so much scope for expansion on specific conflicts, rather than past failures and building towards future meetings.  Though, I did like the touch on the HOW certain things happened with the capture of Gyre.

2) Yes, there did need to be more information on the given rankings of the Ezkarion, and more exploration of the members, although, that may come in later books, depending on how long A-D-B and BL wish the series to run for.  When I saw Delvarus in the novel, I was surprised, and kind of enjoyed it.  The situation did remind me of the "Storm of Iron/Horus Rising" linkage with Dies Irae, and how something/somebody who survived the 10,000 years between the Heresy and the previous 40k timeline could die/be killed in such mundane ways, on planets that are beginning to become linked to really bring the setting alive.

3) Since I read "Talon of Horus," the image of Abaddon, in my mind, has been one of a raging warrior coming to terms with defeat, his own limitations, and the environment he is forced to live in, until he can begin to bring his plans to fruition.  While playing and reading before Talon of Horus, it always seemed as though Abaddon was a fury-driven character, with little depth, and the tactical acumen of a soggy fish.  However, since ToH was released, and the latter fluff began to round out his character, he feels like a commander of warriors, who can lose himself in the heat of battle, and is constantly struggling with the rage within.

We see some of that during the Heresy series, for example, when Horus is wounded on the Davinite moon, and he rampages through the practice cages, letting his rage get the best of him, while during Horus Rising, his rage is touched upon, yet he always seemed in control of it, enough to sport with other characters, even during battle.

I think he has started to become a far more complex character than when he first made his appearance as Abaddon the Despoiler.  With any luck, this series will continue to expand on him, and those around him, and begin to give the followers of Chaos characters that are far more than "Kill, Maim, Burn" that we generally see.

I do agree that the void battles did leave a lot to be desired, however, part of this is due to the format of the telling, rather than the writing in general.  Personal experience rather than a 3rd party/historic account that more novels are written in.

1)  I've had Black Legion on Pre-order since it was announced, I didn't go for the limited edition version, and mine arrived on the advertised release date as I posted.  I suspect that Black Library may have released it generally or through events a bit sooner, otherwise, I have the basic hardback edition.

2) Sorry, I was talking about the cover art for the version I have.  If needed, I can post a picture of it.

3) Yes, most of them are mentioned, many is a different word to most in this instance.  Some, however, had very little to give a proper reason for how and why they ended up where they did.

4) General Release Hard Back.

5) Some parts felt glossed over, while others had almost enough detail.  The change in familiar, for one.  That felt very glossed over seeing as the familiar is a fairly substantial support character, at least in my opinion.  

1) I agree with how you view Daravek was handled.  There was so much scope for expansion on specific conflicts, rather than past failures and building towards future meetings.  Though, I did like the touch on the HOW certain things happened with the capture of Gyre.

2) Yes, there did need to be more information on the given rankings of the Ezkarion, and more exploration of the members, although, that may come in later books, depending on how long A-D-B and BL wish the series to run for.  When I saw Delvarus in the novel, I was surprised, and kind of enjoyed it.  The situation did remind me of the "Storm of Iron/Horus Rising" linkage with Dies Irae, and how something/somebody who survived the 10,000 years between the Heresy and the previous 40k timeline could die/be killed in such mundane ways, on planets that are beginning to become linked to really bring the setting alive.

3) Since I read "Talon of Horus," the image of Abaddon, in my mind, has been one of a raging warrior coming to terms with defeat, his own limitations, and the environment he is forced to live in, until he can begin to bring his plans to fruition.  While playing and reading before Talon of Horus, it always seemed as though Abaddon was a fury-driven character, with little depth, and the tactical acumen of a soggy fish.  However, since ToH was released, and the latter fluff began to round out his character, he feels like a commander of warriors, who can lose himself in the heat of battle, and is constantly struggling with the rage within.

We see some of that during the Heresy series, for example, when Horus is wounded on the Davinite moon, and he rampages through the practice cages, letting his rage get the best of him, while during Horus Rising, his rage is touched upon, yet he always seemed in control of it, enough to sport with other characters, even during battle.

I think he has started to become a far more complex character than when he first made his appearance as Abaddon the Despoiler.  With any luck, this series will continue to expand on him, and those around him, and begin to give the followers of Chaos characters that are far more than "Kill, Maim, Burn" that we generally see.

I do agree that the void battles did leave a lot to be desired, however, part of this is due to the format of the telling, rather than the writing in general.  Personal experience rather than a 3rd party/historic account that more novels are written in.

1) But general BL main release was August 12th.

2) If you mean black foliage with the Eye of Horus - that's cheap cheat on BL side.

3) He used secondary characters exactly as he should.

4) Nice - how quickly it was in delivery?

5) So minus 1 is only for the absent support characters in full.?

Still angry on A D-B for the void war. Then I saw the chapter name I was expecting TOTAL METAL MELTING UNDER VORTEX TORPEDOES. Not a poem :ermm:

1) I had it ordered through Amazon, for the basic hard back. It arrived on release day, which, for me, was the 24th August.

2) 1503926684707_1098089072.jpg

3) I've found secondary and support characters can enhance a story if they are developed and deployed well. In some places there were just mentions, then they were gone, without an indication/exploration of how/why they ate where they are.

4+5) covered in other points for this reply.

To be fair on the void battle, as it is written in a first person experience style, we wouldn't have the global-tv-style view though. Sure, it might have been more Interesting, it would have ruptured the flow a lot more. IMO, anyway.

I was perfectly fine with how the void battle was handled. It is starting to become the new bolter porn, and I'm glad we've avoided some tongue-in-cheek action I couldn't really care less about.

I was perfectly fine with how the void battle was handled. It is starting to become the new bolter porn, and I'm glad we've avoided some tongue-in-cheek action I couldn't really care less about.

Some of us prefer big ships (name, class, tonnage, armanents) depicted in full glory and pumelling others (input (name, class, tonnage, armanents)) to annihilation. That's called 'void war' - one of the sides of the Warhammer 40000 A LOT OF PEOPLE was/are fond of.

If they skip Luna bases defense over Terra - in the same 'poetic' way - a lot of us would be displeased :)

I happen to agree that void war is the new bolter porn.

As I said in another comment to AD-B, I prefer writers who, like him, use combat scenes not just to satisfy a desire for exciting depictions of battle* but as a way to illustrate character and circumstance. A book like Betrayer has plenty of combat of all kinds, but when Khârn fights you learn about his character in the same way you learn about him from scenes where he and Argel Tal discuss the war and their Legions with each other, or the way he treats Lotara Sarrin, or the way he deals with Angron. The battles in Betrayer show you the difference between the World Eaters and the Word Bearers, the difference between Khârn and other World Eaters, the difference between Argel Tal and other Word Bearers, et cetera.

I liked the void war scenes in Black Legion just as they are because they illustrate interesting aspects of the character of the Black Legion as a whole, of Ultio, of Khayon, of Abaddon. I'm not enthralled by the bare Jane's Fighting Ships statistics of it all, or the cut-and-thrust of lances and cyclonic torpedoes and all that.**

* Especially since I've never read a single fight scene in my entire life that was exciting purely on its own merits. I don't think it's possible to write a fight scene of any kind that I would find gripping if I wasn't interested in the characters, the situation, the context; there's no way to string words together that can make me innately care about the mechanics of a swordfight or a gun battle per se.

** I think, to be perfectly frank, that part of this is because I have an extremely poor visual imagination. I don't "see" a ship in my head when a writer describes it, no matter how much detail they go to or how many vivid metaphors or similes they use. I don't envision the battle playing out when I read about it. I don't imagine voices for characters when I read or conjure up a face to go with the name; I can remember illustrations or voice performances in audiobooks, but I've never imagined what a character might look or sound like without mentally referring to someone else's drawing or performance (though I can say, "That's not what X looks or sounds like" if it doesn't match the description).

It's similar to a version of aphantasia, though unlike the writer of that post I do have a mind's eye; it's just that mine is very weak and fragmentary. I can't hold a visual image in my head for more than a moment or two, at most; even my wife or parents or best friend, I can basically only "flash on" like you might see a couple of frames of someone interpolated into a movie scene. My auditory memory is better, but not my imagination; I can call to mind the sound of people's voices readily enough, but I don't think I could easily imagine, say, my wife or father reading this post out to me.

I happen to agree that void war is the new bolter porn.

As I said in another comment to AD-B, I prefer writers who, like him, use combat scenes not just to satisfy a desire for exciting depictions of battle* but as a way to illustrate character and circumstance. A book like Betrayer has plenty of combat of all kinds, but when Khârn fights you learn about his character in the same way you learn about him from scenes where he and Argel Tal discuss the war and their Legions with each other, or the way he treats Lotara Sarrin, or the way he deals with Angron. The battles in Betrayer show you the difference between the World Eaters and the Word Bearers, the difference between Khârn and other World Eaters, the difference between Argel Tal and other Word Bearers, et cetera.

I liked the void war scenes in Black Legion just as they are because they illustrate interesting aspects of the character of the Black Legion as a whole, of Ultio, of Khayon, of Abaddon. I'm not enthralled by the bare Jane's Fighting Ships statistics of it all, or the cut-and-thrust of lances and cyclonic torpedoes and all that.**

* Especially since I've never read a single fight scene in my entire life that was exciting purely on its own merits. I don't think it's possible to write a fight scene of any kind that I would find gripping if I wasn't interested in the characters, the situation, the context; there's no way to string words together that can make me innately care about the mechanics of a swordfight or a gun battle per se.

** I think, to be perfectly frank, that part of this is because I have an extremely poor visual imagination. I don't "see" a ship in my head when a writer describes it, no matter how much detail they go to or how many vivid metaphors or similes they use. I don't envision the battle playing out when I read about it. I don't imagine voices for characters when I read or conjure up a face to go with the name; I can remember illustrations or voice performances in audiobooks, but I've never imagined what a character might look or sound like without mentally referring to someone else's drawing or performance (though I can say, "That's not what X looks or sounds like" if it doesn't match the description).

It's similar to a version of aphantasia, though unlike the writer of that post I do have a mind's eye; it's just that mine is very weak and fragmentary. I can't hold a visual image in my head for more than a moment or two, at most; even my wife or parents or best friend, I can basically only "flash on" like you might see a couple of frames of someone interpolated into a movie scene. My auditory memory is better, but not my imagination; I can call to mind the sound of people's voices readily enough, but I don't think I could easily imagine, say, my wife or father reading this post out to me.

And look at the void war over Nuceria - it is much more vivid and alive then poetic justice Khayon did for VS.

'I think, to be perfectly frank, that part of this is because I have an extremely poor visual imagination. I don't "see" a ship in my head when a writer describes it, no matter how much detail they go to or how many vivid metaphors or similes they use.' - well a lot of us saw that and imagine that in all it;s glory - that's why a lot of us LOVE BFG