Post Gathering Storm Books?

So... this may come across as heresy for some people, but I'm fairly new to BL, and after trying to read the HH books got a little bored after Descent of Angels.

So I read all the Primarch books out now, and enjoyed them. But before diving back into the HH, I thought I should try Dark Imperium to see how the Imperium is doing post Gathering Storm.

And surprisingly, I'm enjoying it. A lot.

So I'm wondering, are there any other books out now set after the Gathering Storm? I know some are coming like Devastation of Baal and Ghost Warrior, but I mean something I can pick up right now.

Or if Legion is super good, maybe try to convince me to return to the HH series!

Thanks, any help appreciated.

So you haven't read The First Heretic, Betrayer, Scars, Path of Heaven, Master of Mankind etc? It feels to me like you stopped reading the HH right before everything kicked off. :P

I'd say either read First Heretic > Know No Fear > Betrayer, or Brotherhood of the Storm > Path of Heaven > Scars. There are other great novels in the series, of course, but those two story lines are my favourite. They're brilliant. Give them a shot.

Concurred...

Brotherhood of the Storm then Scars then Path of Heaven

First Heretic then Know No Fear then Betrayer

Master of Mankind is great as a standalone

Praetorian of Dorn as well

I'm less enthusiastic about Imperium Secundus...but the order goes

Know No Fear (prelude) then Unremembered Empire then Pharos then Angels of Caliban then the upcoming Ruinstorm

Unfortunately,only Dark Imperium is set after GS for now...that said, sequels should be coming next year I think?

OP asks for books on X, stating he's taking a break from HH, and most of the replies are pitching HH to him. Oh boy.

As Plaguecaster said, Shroud of Night by Andy Clark is a novel out already.

There's also two audio dramas (split into 3 parts each but there should be a complete bundle too) by Gav Thorpe, Eye of Night and Hand of Darkness. They seem to be running parallel or around Dark Imperium, after Guilliman's return.

Gav also has a novel coming in a couple of months, The Ashes of Prospero. It is the second Space Marine Conquests novel, after The Devastation of Baal. It is safe to assume that Conquests will be post-GS generally.

Robbie MacNiven's also got a White Scars novel coming soon, The Last Hunt, which also works in that timeframe, and is writing an Ultramarines Primaris novel too.

Justin D.Hill's Cadia Stands is due next month, which is seemingly set during the Fall of Cadia Gathering Storm book.

If you intend to read Devastation of Baal, it may also be interesting to read Guy Haley's Dante, which the upcoming book is basically the sequel to. Dante itself continues on from the Shield of Baal campaign, which also has a few novellas collected in a Space Marine Battles volume.

Aside from that, Chris Wraight wrote The Carrion Throne, which is set just before the Gathering Storm, and it appears that his next book, The Emperor's Legion, which should be set a little later and may feature Roboute's arrival on Terra. We will see.

If you run out of material, I'd encourage reading stuff about the Third War for Armageddon, the Damocles Gulf's most recent outbreaks and Planetkiller.

There is not a huge amount of Post-Gathering Storm material out yet, but Dark Chaplain's list is pretty comprehensive.

I would definitely second The Carrion Throne if you are wanting an excellent slice of 40k writing.

If you are still new to BL, have you given some of the older classic series a go yet? If not I would recommend the following:

- The Gaunts Ghosts series by Dan Abnett - If you have difficulties with the first two novels, First and Only and Ghostmaker (they are two of BL's oldest novels), I recommend persevering or skipping. The story really takes off with Necropolis, and then just gets better and better. 

- The Eisenhorn Trilogy, the Ravenor Trilogy and Pariah by Dan Abnett. Excellent Inquisition focused stories which give an away from the front line perspective in 40k. 

- Aaron Dembski-Bowden's Night Lords series. - seriously a must read, particularly the first two, Soul Hunter and Blood Reaver.

As to the HH:

Legion is good. It is set slightly pre-heresy, but it is an important novel, particularly if you ever read Deliverance Lost or Praetorian of Dorn. 

- The First Heretic, Know No Fear, Betrayer arc has already been mentioned. I struggle with the Word Bearers, but TFH and Betrayer are well written novels

- A Thousand Sons, Prospero Burns, Scars, Path of Heaven - make an excellent narrative sequence. Throw in Wolf King, Vengeful Spirit and Weregeld, and you are up to date with the Space Wolf and White Scar storylines.

So... this may come across as heresy for some people, but I'm fairly new to BL, and after trying to read the HH books got a little bored after Descent of Angels.

So I read all the Primarch books out now, and enjoyed them. But before diving back into the HH, I thought I should try Dark Imperium to see how the Imperium is doing post Gathering Storm.

And surprisingly, I'm enjoying it. A lot.

So I'm wondering, are there any other books out now set after the Gathering Storm? I know some are coming like Devastation of Baal and Ghost Warrior, but I mean something I can pick up right now.

Or if Legion is super good, maybe try to convince me to return to the HH series!

Thanks, any help appreciated.

It may seem like there's a lot of HH novels but you really should read the whole number series. It's packed full of tasty lore. Hell, you may even end up remembering some of it after each novel.

You might also want to consider the fantastic "Valedor" by Guy Haley. It's the immediate chronological/narrative prelude to The Gathering Storm 2: Gathering Stormier.

That it's a fantastic and alien book, and completely sidesteps the Imperium of Man in its entirety, means a much bigger break from the Heresy is pretty much imossible to get (and still remain BL)!

Edited by Xisor

Brotherhood of the Storm then Scars then Path of Heaven is a must. You will love WS.

First Heretic then Know No Fear then Betrayer is a must. You will love WB - then hate them with passion :yes:

b1soul

'Praetorian of Dorn as well' - no man. This one is definitely a loss without previous reading required on Legion, Serpent Beneath etc.

Dark Imperium is set after GS for now...that said, sequels should be coming next year I think? - already written and in editing.  Sadly - cause I don't like the setting so far.

Probably one of the few post gathering storm books is Shroud of Night, it's a pretty good read though centered on the alpha legion. It has a really good perspective on the Imperium especially how screwed it has become

Exactly the opposite - it shows AL as a SM and not a spies HH made of them. On the other hand - it does not show 'how screwed Imperium is'. It shown how screwed the zone on the other side of the Cicatrix Maledictus is.

Xisor

You might also want to consider the fantastic "Valedor" by Guy Haley. It's the immediate chronological/narrative prelude to The Gathering Storm 2: Gathering Stormier.

That it's a fantastic and alien book, and completely sidesteps the Imperium of Man in its entirety, means a much bigger break from the Heresy is pretty much imossible to get (and still remain BL)!

I Think Valedor goes before the Fall of Cadia chronologically. Sooo - it is GS 1.