Pouches, Holsters, Etc

Buggane

Afternoon all,

I'd like to know what colour everybody paints their pouches/holsters/etc? I can see from my codex that the 'official' colour is a dark brown. I'm having trouble suspending disbelief that leather is the best option for these things in the 41st millenium (I mean look at the picture of the reivers in the codex with their brand new mark X armor and ww1 era catridge pouches)....are there agri-worlds soley devoted to the production of cows for bolt-pistol holtsters?!

I was thinking of painting mine black, both because I am lazy, and in my head a chapter that puts so much stock in stealth and general sensible-ness would probably have storage options that matched their armor colour, made out of some futuristic material that doesn't creak or need oiling...

Can anyone mount a defence of the brown? does it help from a colour point of view to break up the black?

I don't think we should get into why space marines have pouches and holsters, it could be a deep deep well....but if anyone wants to defend them please do!

There's plenty of current equipment securing products made out of high strength synthetic/polymer/composite materials in multiple colors. Just because it's brown doesn't mean it has to be leather. Leather can also be dyed in multiple colors and it lasts for a good long while. Unless there is something specific that you read saying that the material is leather, that seems more like an unnecessary assumption than anything. Edited by Bryan Blaire

<snip>

I don't think we should get into why space marines have pouches and holsters, it could be a deep deep well....but if anyone wants to defend them please do!

Well, bolters are meant to fire 75 caliber rounds so have a scale magazine size of about 20 rounds.  Firing bursts that'll be a few turns - you'd assume that they'd want to make a magazine switch in the latter part of a game.  

So brother Nopouchus hits the magazine release catch, reaches to his waist and retrieves... nothing... because he's not got any pouches.  The feared chapters of the Emperor's finest, mowed down in the fifth turn because they didn't want to sully their beautiful armour with brown leather pouches.  

I paint mine to match the armour.  In my case, that's purple to match the top half.  I think black on standard RG models looks pretty sweet - go with that!

I would say it strongly depends on the the impression you want to make with your minis: To me the common way of painting (and designing) Minis seem to be, to add as many details (in different colours) as possible, in order to create the illusion that the Mini is actually a minituarised version of something bigger. Games Workshops official way of painting "helps" you go this way by giving different details different colours so they stand out from one another. A brown pouch on a black armour is easier to see on a first sight than a black pouch on a black armour. Plus: Brown fit with nearly all main armour colours and looks somehow "natural".

If you want to leave that way and go with fewer colours – imho – you either have to find a way to use the colours you got, so that they highlight the details (I think that GW pushed the Raven Guards white shoulders / arms because of that reason as well as the white helmet stripes and weapons of the Iron Hands ), ooor just don't care for fact that the mini doesn't look that detailed.

Well, I stay with regular brown, though RG might fit a lot darker brown instead to not break cover. Yes, real life ammo pouches come in any desired color, and black pouches would fit stealth better, but it just looks lazy IMO. Black basecoat leading to black armour, black pouches, black...everything. Gotta add details, and those should not be entirely black, or they will just disappear or appear as "not painted yet".

As for using leather in the far future...our dudes use wax and parchment scrolls, as well as medieval weaponry with a "power" attachment. Leather still works fine and appears more traditional, which in itself fits the emphasis on traditions typical for astartes chapters.

thanks guys you've convinced me, I need to break up the black. Gviven I've gone with black for the bolter housing so far (i don't suppose anyone has a nice recipe to make a gunmetal that is suitably different to the old leadbelcher/nuln oil/iron break that they could suggest instead?) it would have been too much black.

...adds dryad bark and whatever the highlight colour is (gothor brown?!) to next paint shop...

There's plenty of current equipment securing products made out of high strength synthetic/polymer/composite materials in multiple colors. Just because it's brown doesn't mean it has to be leather. Leather can also be dyed in multiple colors and it lasts for a good long while. Unless there is something specific that you read saying that the material is leather, that seems more like an unnecessary assumption than anything.

Also, you are quite correct, I just got carried away with the ranch-planets-as-strategic-assets thing I had going there...

In a future with plascrete and ferrocrete being main building materials, I'm sure there'd be a synthetic leather; it'd be easier to produce than rearing animals, and I'm guessing meat's not much on the menu for Imperial citizens anyway.

As an aside, given how the Imperium treats humans, can you imagine what a farm would look like in 40k?

Colour wise I definitely agree with brown, or anything sensible other than black. Rationally black makes sense, but black pouches will just get lost on black power armour. And anyway in the grim darkness of the far future rationalism must be purged.

I go with brown. Also to break up all the black. 

I doubt the color is going to impede being stealthy. I mean, if they can pull off stealth while being over 7 feet tall and wearing half a ton of armor, some of which has a lot of white, I don't think a brown holster is going to give them away. 

I go with brown. Also to break up all the black. 

I doubt the color is going to impede being stealthy. I mean, if they can pull off stealth while being over 7 feet tall and wearing half a ton of armor, some of which has a lot of white, I don't think a brown holster is going to give them away. 

All that white never made sense to me honestly. Yes, it breaks up the otherwise just basecoated model, but pure white is so entirely obvious....

My brown pouches are.....Rhinox hide, Agrax Wash, layer Rhinox hide and edge highlight Doombull brown.

Should be finished examples in my 4th Company PLOG.

Cheers,

Valaas

Oh that is nice and dark, just what i was after. Cheers.

I thought i'd been through all the RG army threads but i've never seen that sexy contemptor before, what on earth is it carrying on its left arm?