Pistol Grips

Xisor

One of the classic things introduced with the Deathwatch in the original Artemis days was that their bolters had pistol grips. It's why there is a nice image of fancy bolter and power sword Deathwatch Marine.

Very well equipped, and much better at keeping everything useful.

It's sort of the point, or at least it was once upon a time that way.

Nowadays there's been a bit of a rule change that has brought pistols into an interesting place.

So, thoughts - what are the chances that this'll be resurrected? Deathwatch able to use some non-pistol weapons as pistols? (with a -1 to hit?)

Might it help matters?

Don't all bolters have pistol grips?

Yeah they look like big HK mp5s to me. But back in the Olden Days, when something had "pistol grip" you could if I recall my friends and my conversation, shoot the Bolter and then count as having a bolt pistol and close combat weapon (which gave you +1 attacks) you could shoot the Bolter like a Bolter (rapid fire) with all abilities and penalties 2 shots at half range (typically 12") get full range if you didn't move (typically 24") (you used to not be able to move and shoot rapid fire weapons at full range, only half. These were dark times)

Or you could shoot them as a pistol, assault 1, and then-assault. Used to be you couldn't shoot heavy and rapid fire weapons and assault unless you had a rule called relentless or some such, (again, Dark times).

So, by having "true grit" you could stand and shoot like other Bolter jocks, or get in and fight like assault marines.

Now in more civilized times, you get access to chainswords(+1 attack) and a higher numbers of base attacks and can assault after rapid firing.

Edit: answering the question:

I don't know, if you can still mix squads gw might want to keep it pistols only and maybe be able to take vanguard without jump packs to be more transport friendly (losing fly of course)

Edited by Trevak Dal