Raven guard army list (2k) *new player*

Kimbo

Trying to create a well balanced 2k list for my RG in 8th..what do you guys think?

I think the list use good units for the RG CT!

How would you optimize it?

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Imperium - Space Marines) [110 PL, 2000pts] ++

HQ

Captain : Chainsword, Plasma pistol [7pts]

Kayvaan Shrike

Troops

Scout Squad : 7x Camo cloak

. Scout Sergeant: Combat knife, Sniper rifle

. 6x Scout w/Sniper Rifle: 6x Sniper rifle

Tactical Squad

. 7x Space Marine

. Space Marine Sergeant Chainsword, Plasma pistol

. Space Marine w/Heavy Weapon Plasma cannon

. Space Marine w/Special Weapon Plasma gun

Tactical Squad

. 7x Space Marine

. Space Marine Sergeant Chainsword, Plasma pistol

. Space Marine w/Heavy Weapon Plasma cannon

. Space Marine w/Special Weapon Plasma gun

Elites

Terminator Squad

. Terminator : Power fist , Storm bolter

. Terminator Sergeant: Power sword, Storm bolter

Vanguard Veteran Squad: Jump Pack

. Space Marine Veteran: 2x Lightning Claw

. Veteran Sergeant: 2x Lightning Claw

Venerable Dreadnought: Missile launcher , Twin lascannon

Venerable Dreadnought: Missile launcher , Twin lascannon

Heavy Support

Devastator Squad: Armorium Cherub

. Space Marine Sergeant: Chainsword

. Space Marine w/Heavy Weapon: Missile launcher

. Space Marine w/Heavy Weapon: Lascannon

Flyer

Stormtalon Gunship: Twin assault cannon, Typhoon missile launcher

Dedicated Transport

Rhino: Storm bolter

Rhino: Storm bolter

++ Total: [110 PL, 2000pts] ++

Edited by Kimbo

I'm presuming the ML in the Dev Squad was due to points?

And to be frank, any list with a Terminator Squad gets an automatic :tu: from me ^_^

NO i used wanted it. Think i should switch?

OH thats cool! But regarding the list as a whole...you like it?

I'd actually go with 4 ML. For versatility.

Lascannons are great against tough stuff, but a krak missile is almost as good and you get frag missiles for hordes. And you can spend a CP for a flakk missile against Flyers.

Cool! I will think about it..makes sence

I dunno, I'd try for all Lascannon in that squad for the AT punch, but that'll mean finding points somewhere else. 

Or take Claws' suggestion above.  The idea is that when the squad starts taking wounds, homogeneous Dev Squads removes the choice to remove this dude or that.

I'd actually go with 4 ML. For versatility.

Lascannons are great against tough stuff, but a krak missile is almost as good and you get frag missiles for hordes. And you can spend a CP for a flakk missile against Flyers.

Cool! I will think about it..makes sence
Edited by Claws and Effect

Last has a great start, there are a few things pertaining to optimization and game plan I would consider. First things first though is your gameplan:

1) The two 10-Man tacticals I assume go in the Rhinos. If the intent is to park them on objectives then they would be better suited with having a Combi-Plasma on the Sergeant. If they are going to be moving up the board aggressively towards close combat, then I would consider a different gameplan or dropping the Plasma Cannon for other changes. The plasma pistol on the sergeant seems at odds with the Gun/Cannon.

2) Your Plasma Pistol/Chainsword Captain appears homeless. If the intent is to park him with the Devastators (and maybe Scouts) for the aura, that's great. If that is the case, I would consider a different ranged weapon instead of the Pistol, he will more than likely never be in pistol range. Either The Primarch's Wrath, a Master-Crafted Boltgun, or a Combi-Plasma. I'm a big fan of throwing a jump pack on this guy as well to enable you to react-redeploy quickly to buff other units.

3) I agree with C&E on the Stormtalon. I would drop the Typhoon Launcher for the Twin Heavy Bolters to save points. While its not a bad choice it is quite steep for cost (IMO).

4) I am not a fan of the Terminators in this list as they to me don't really have a purpose. It's not that I dislike terminators in a list like this, I just don't feel they do either job well (Anti infantry or anti vehicle/monster). I would probably cut them, but if you want Terminators I could recommend other loadouts to keep the rule of cool in force that would compliment your army better.

5) The ML/Las debate with the Devs can go on forever, either is good honestly. I like the one token ML in either the devs (or in the scouts) for the Flakk Missle Stratagem (also HB in with the scouts for the Hellfire Shells Stratagem). I would consider 2/2 or 3/1 both valid choices.

6) Since you have so many elites, you could easily add a lieutenant to your list with something like Jump Pack, Master Crafted Bolter, and Power Sword (as an example - on the cheap). You could park this with your firebase for the re-rolls of 1 to wound and doing so would net you another command points (by moving 3 of the elites and the LT into a Vanguard Detachment). Something to consider.

7) You might want to consider upping the Vanguard Veterans to 10-man and adding in a bit of weapon variety (TH+SS) so that they can combat squad and go after two different targets. As it stands now I would Strike From The Shadows the VVs and Shrike, and maybe the Terminators if you keep them. If you end up going this route, you want to give careful consideration to their load-out so they live as long as possible to deal as much damage as possible.

Last has a great start, there are a few things pertaining to optimization and game plan I would consider. First things first though is your gameplan:

1) The two 10-Man tacticals I assume go in the Rhinos. If the intent is to park them on objectives then they would be better suited with having a Combi-Plasma on the Sergeant. If they are going to be moving up the board aggressively towards close combat, then I would consider a different gameplan or dropping the Plasma Cannon for other changes. The plasma pistol on the sergeant seems at odds with the Gun/Cannon.

2) Your Plasma Pistol/Chainsword Captain appears homeless. If the intent is to park him with the Devastators (and maybe Scouts) for the aura, that's great. If that is the case, I would consider a different ranged weapon instead of the Pistol, he will more than likely never be in pistol range. Either The Primarch's Wrath, a Master-Crafted Boltgun, or a Combi-Plasma. I'm a big fan of throwing a jump pack on this guy as well to enable you to react-redeploy quickly to buff other units.

3) I agree with C&E on the Stormtalon. I would drop the Typhoon Launcher for the Twin Heavy Bolters to save points. While its not a bad choice it is quite steep for cost (IMO).

4) I am not a fan of the Terminators in this list as they to me don't really have a purpose. It's not that I dislike terminators in a list like this, I just don't feel they do either job well (Anti infantry or anti vehicle/monster). I would probably cut them, but if you want Terminators I could recommend other loadouts to keep the rule of cool in force that would compliment your army better.

5) The ML/Las debate with the Devs can go on forever, either is good honestly. I like the one token ML in either the devs (or in the scouts) for the Flakk Missle Stratagem (also HB in with the scouts for the Hellfire Shells Stratagem). I would consider 2/2 or 3/1 both valid choices.

6) Since you have so many elites, you could easily add a lieutenant to your list with something like Jump Pack, Master Crafted Bolter, and Power Sword (as an example - on the cheap). You could park this with your firebase for the re-rolls of 1 to wound and doing so would net you another command points (by moving 3 of the elites and the LT into a Vanguard Detachment). Something to consider.

7) You might want to consider upping the Vanguard Veterans to 10-man and adding in a bit of weapon variety (TH+SS) so that they can combat squad and go after two different targets. As it stands now I would Strike From The Shadows the VVs and Shrike, and maybe the Terminators if you keep them. If you end up going this route, you want to give careful consideration to their load-out so they live as long as possible to deal as much damage as possible.

Thanks for the input!

If I remove the terminators..what would you add?

I will stick with the talon Weapon loadout for now...time will tell If I change my opinion on them!

I agree with the Sergeants...combi Plasma it is!

I also have this list...its not done...but i kind of like it...thoughts??? I really appriciate your comments since im relativley new!

Vanguard Detachment +1CP (Imperium - Space Marines)

HQ

Captain Chainsword, Combi-plasma

Elites

Redemptor Dreadnought 2x Fragstorm Grenade Launchers, Heavy flamer, Heavy Onslaught Gatling Cannon, Icarus Rocket Pod

Venerable Dreadnought Missile launcher, Twin lascannon

Venerable Dreadnought Missile launcher, Twin lascannon

Heavy Support

Devastator Squad Armorium Cherub

. Space Marine Sergeant: Chainsword

Predator las sponsors and auto top

Battalion Detachment +3CP (Imperium - Space Marines)

HQ

Lieutenants

. Lieutenant: Chainsword, Master-crafted boltgun

Techmarine Boltgun, Power maul, Servo-arm

Troops

Intercessor Squad Bolt rifle, 9x Intercessor, Intercessor Sergeant

Tactical Squad

. 7x Space Marine

. Space Marine Sergeant: Chainsword, Combi-plasma

. Space Marine w/Heavy Weapon: Plasma cannon

. Space Marine w/Special Weapon: Plasma gun

Tactical Squad

. 7x Space Marine

Fast Attack

Inceptor Squad Assault bolter, 2x Inceptor, Inceptor Sergeant

Dedicated Transport

Rhino 2x Storm bolter

Rhino 2x Storm bolter

[102 PL, 1997pts]

Another option is to remove the Inceptor Squad for one more Dev Squad and firepower? No? Yes? ..:))

Edited by Kimbo

They are iconic for Raven Guard in the sense that if you want Jump Infantry they are our best choice by far. They make a good bodyguard to zip around with Shrike and murder tons of infantry. That being said, they are hardly a "must bring" in a Space Marine list. I think most Space Marine players (regardless of Chapter) would have a top 3 units of the codex list, and I highly doubt Vanguard Veterans are on anyones list.

If I were to cut the Terminators, I would add the lieutenant and the rest of the small changes (Combi Plasma on sergeants, better weapons on the Captain, etc).

Something like

Captain w/ Jump Pack (The Primarch's Wrath, Power Maul)

Lieutenant w/ Jump Pack (Combi-Plasma, Power Maul)

Each Plasma Pistol to Combi Plasma swap is 8 points as well.

Feel free to add more wargear to those characters, with what points remain I would probably bulk out the scout squad.

They are iconic for Raven Guard in the sense that if you want Jump Infantry they are our best choice by far. They make a good bodyguard to zip around with Shrike and murder tons of infantry. That being said, they are hardly a "must bring" in a Space Marine list. I think most Space Marine players (regardless of Chapter) would have a top 3 units of the codex list, and I highly doubt Vanguard Veterans are on anyones list.

If I were to cut the Terminators, I would add the lieutenant and the rest of the small changes (Combi Plasma on sergeants, better weapons on the Captain, etc).

Something like

Captain w/ Jump Pack (The Primarch's Wrath, Power Maul)

Lieutenant w/ Jump Pack (Combi-Plasma, Power Maul)

Each Plasma Pistol to Combi Plasma swap is 8 points as well.

Feel free to add more wargear to those characters, with what points remain I would probably bulk out the scout squad.

I addes your comments to this list..what you think?

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Imperium - Space Marines) [104 PL, 2000pts] ++

HQ

Captain: Chainsword, Combi-plasma , Jump Pack

Kayvaan Shrike

Lieutenants

. Lieutenant Chainsword, Jump Pack, Master-crafted boltgun

Troops

Scout Squad 8x Camo cloak

. Scout Sergeant: Combat knife, Sniper rifle

. 7x Scout w/Sniper Rifle: 7x Sniper rifle

Tactical Squad

. 7x Space Marine

. Space Marine Sergeant Chainsword, Combi-plasma

Tactical Squad

. 7x Space Marine

Elites

Vanguard Veteran Squad []: Jump Pack

. Space Marine Veteran []: 2x Lightning Claw

. Space Marine Veteran Storm shield, Thunder hammer

. Space Marine Veteran Storm shield Thunder hammer

. Veteran Sergeant 2x Lightning Claw

Venerable Dreadnought Missile launcher Twin lascannon

Venerable Dreadnought Missile launcher Twin lascannon

Heavy Support

Devastator Squad Armorium Cherub

. Space Marine Sergeant Chainsword

. Space Marine w/Heavy Weapon Missile launcher

. Space Marine w/Heavy Weapon Lascannon

+ Flyer +

Stormtalon Gunship: Twin assault cannon, Typhoon missile launcher

Dedicated Transport (tacticals in here)

Rhino: 2x Storm bolter

Rhino: 2x Storm bolter

++ Total: [104 PL, 2000pts] ++

Quick note: 1 of the HQs are support to be with the elites in a separate Detachment for 1 more CP!

Edited by Kimbo

And what are peoples opinion on Vanguard Veteran Squads?

Are they really good? Just decent? ...I have yet to bought them...I want a good list and half decent units i can skip!

Cheers!

There are A LOT of discussion on this unit within the RG forum and the Astartes forum. Especially after the SftS rule was revealed.

Small tip: you can move your three elites and one HQ into a Vanguard detachment and pick up and extra CP. :)

Your list looks really robust, I think you'd have a good time up against most opponents. Two areas it is slightly weaker against are weak chaff units and maybe fliers. You could consider dropping the tacticals to five men each and converting the rhinos to assault cannon Razorbacks. That helps with chaff ( and honestly most things ). Fliers are probably still fine with your dev squad and vanguard vets if need be, but I always like to suggest giving the Stormhawk a look instead of the Talon :).

Small tip: you can move your three elites and one HQ into a Vanguard detachment and pick up and extra CP. :)

Your list looks really robust, I think you'd have a good time up against most opponents. Two areas it is slightly weaker against are weak chaff units and maybe fliers. You could consider dropping the tacticals to five men each and converting the rhinos to assault cannon Razorbacks. That helps with chaff ( and honestly most things ). Fliers are probably still fine with your dev squad and vanguard vets if need be, but I always like to suggest giving the Stormhawk a look instead of the Talon :).

I did consider the razorback..but i like having more bodies...Will definetly try that later though!

If you look closley at the end of my list you can see i that i said that it Was suppose to be a Vanguard...but thanks for the tip

I can't commit real world experience to the Aggressors v Talon situation, as my aggressors are still sitting in the box, just haven't had time to put them together and playtest them yet. On paper though they are very strong. Them and the talon do similar things at a cost of mobility/survivability. The Talon is faster and more durable, but slightly less output. I think the Aggressors will have the added benefit of reinforcing/weighing down the flank they deploy on, so that if you attack the same flank with both the Aggressors AND the Vanguard Veterans, I think you will find your Vanguards will live longer.

If it were me I would ultimately want both units in the long run and actively try both. While the static nature of the Aggressors ultimately doesn't sit quite right with me, I think as it stands right now they are the better unit for the army.

I can't commit real world experience to the Aggressors v Talon situation, as my aggressors are still sitting in the box, just haven't had time to put them together and playtest them yet. On paper though they are very strong. Them and the talon do similar things at a cost of mobility/survivability. The Talon is faster and more durable, but slightly less output. I think the Aggressors will have the added benefit of reinforcing/weighing down the flank they deploy on, so that if you attack the same flank with both the Aggressors AND the Vanguard Veterans, I think you will find your Vanguards will live longer.

If it were me I would ultimately want both units in the long run and actively try both. While the static nature of the Aggressors ultimately doesn't sit quite right with me, I think as it stands right now they are the better unit for the army.

Yeah same here...they are still in the box..gonna put them together tomorrow!

I got both...and i will try both!