Citadel Air

Kassill

《Snip》

till I realised I'd thinned them with airbrush cleaner rather than thinner...)

I am so glad I'm not the only one who has done that! :smile.:

Turns out it destabilises the primer too so the edges start to chip. I had to blast it with a few layers of VMC Matt to seal it.

I was able to shoot some of the citadel air paints through a 0.2mm needle today neat at 18psi without thinner. The dark paints seem to have an easier time of it than the light ones. Mephiston Red didn't spray cleanly but Abaddon black did. I'll keep experimenting.

Yeah I shot some Mephiston red the other day for some AoS stuff. It sprayed well enough with some flow improver, but I did have to clean the tip more frequently than some other colors. Note: This wasnt the Citadel Air version, so I'm curious to try it out soon and see what happens

I wanted to get the air version of Naggaroth Night for my new forge world but discovered it doesn't exist. The base version sprayed really well (better than the layers) at 20psi at 50/50 Vallejo thinner/paint. I think that I might stick with the Air paints for the lighter colours where I can get them because they have more pigment and need more mucking about with the consistency. The darker colours are great brushed or sprayed though, and you'll get more for your buck, so I don't see the need to get those in the future. Except maybe Kantor Blue because, yknow, Night Lords. 

Probably because airbrush cleaner formula is meant to break down paint in the brush while thinner is meant to mingle smoothly with the paint. Also thinning primer will always make it weaker, which is why every airbrush primer company tells you not to thin it, but practically nobody uses needles large enough to spray this stuff unthinned and the loss of durability isn't very noticeable when using a primer-friendly thinner anyhow. Even Vallejo says you can thin it but it will be diluted in strength. Badger straight up says no thinning.

Probably because airbrush cleaner formula is meant to break down paint in the brush while thinner is meant to mingle smoothly with the paint. Also thinning primer will always make it weaker, which is why every airbrush primer company tells you not to thin it, but practically nobody uses needles large enough to spray this stuff unthinned and the loss of durability isn't very noticeable when using a primer-friendly thinner anyhow. Even Vallejo says you can thin it but it will be diluted in strength. Badger straight up says no thinning.

That's what I figured was going on. I don't think it stripped the primer but it probably bonded to the surface layer of paint and disrupted the next few layers. Came out OK in the end though.

One of the reasons I like my H&S Ultra is that I got a 0.4 mm and 0.2 mm needle set with it and the VMC primers shoot through the 0.4 without issue (the airbrush supplier was very helpful in recommending this). 

• 1 month later...

So, the GW black is the only one I continue to have issues with so far.

With the black I'm doing just 1 drop of flow improver and having to make sure I keep the nozzle clean. Im thinking of switching to vallejo black because its extremely temperamental. Im wondering if the cold has something to do with it?

Ill be spraying and it will literally go from behaving to splattering and running in the same draw... am I doing something wrong?