Any feedback on the Repulsor?

Ishagu

I have bought three to try out an alternative to my Dark Angels castle.

My 3 Predators are great but I like the idea of being able to move around the board and unload a tonne of dakka everywhere. I'll be building up my Repulsors when I get back from holidays. The Repulsor is already super tough with T8 and 16 wounds but add a 4++ and -1 to hit and it makes them mental. Not to mention re-rolls with shooting.

This is the list I will be trying (at a Tournament in January if I can get it all done in time):

Battalion Detachemnt - 2000pts

HQ

Azrael

Primaris Lieutenant

Bolt Pistol

Power Sword

Techmarine

Bolt Pistol

Chainsword

Servo Arm

TROOPS

(5) Scout squad

Boltguns

(10) Scout Squad

Boltguns

(10) Scout Squad

Sniper Rifles

FAST ATTACK

Ravenwing Darkshroud

Heavy Bolter

DEDICATED TRANSPORTS

Razorback

Twin Assault Cannon

Storm Bolter

Razorback

Twin Assault Cannon

Storm Bolter

Repulsor

Twin Lascannon

Las Talon

2x Krakstorm

2x Fragstorm

3x Storm Bolter

Ironhail Heavy Stubber

Onslaught Gatling Cannon

Repulsor

(as above)

Repulsor

(as above)

i have to admit, i don't see a lot of point to taking super expensive repulsors if you aren't going to put primaris units in them...

You'd get more firepower through other units if you aren't bothered about transporting stuff.

if you take actual primaris units... yes. But my comment is about the list above, which has precisely 1 model that can go in the three primaris transports available.

Rapid Fire Intercessors in the repulsors wouldn't be terrible - keep em cheap and means the repulsor gets them to where their guns are at optimal range (15"). They have objective secured and are able to deploy into cover out of the repulsor too, personally I'd replace some scouts with intercessors in the above list.

Aggressors are a popular choice for repulsors too.

I imagine reivers might not be too bad a choice out of a repulsor either (forgo having either of the movement related upgrades in that case obviously).

Then there are hellblasters which are also popular to put in repulsors.

But if you take a repulsor on its own without stuff to go in it, it just feels like those 300+ points could be better spent.

Much like I don't think land raiders have a place in an all primaris army, repulsors don't have a place in all astartes armies.

A list that includes a primaris unit in the repulsor and a marine unit in a land raider could be cool though.

I also think that in an astartes army has more optimal ways to get lascannons, so if i were planning to use repulsors in a non primaris army, I'd go for the heavy onslaught gatling canon.

Edited by Blindhamster

I can't justify bringing a Repulsor without cargo as you're paying a lot of points for the capacity.

I'm running two now (just painted ^_^) and each is filled with 5 Hellblasters and 5 Intercessors.

I would like to say that they are actually wonderful models, and look much better on the table than in the pictures.

The turrets are too busy however. Maybe they didn't need all those rockets and frag Launchers...

That's where I disagree.

Intercessors have never been worth it for me so far and have found that I need 25 bodies minimum for bubblewrap/deep strike denial in my local tournament meta. The Scouts are perfect for this role as they are dirt cheap and can deploy outside of your deployment zone giving you a bit more room behind your line.

I still have more play testing to do with the above list but even paying for a transport capacity that I won't be using, the above list still has more dakka and is more resillient than the lists I have been using.

I'm happy to spend 300 odd points for a gun platform that is T8, 16W, -2 to charge and can fall back and still shoot. This is all made even more worth it with the Dark Angels buffs above.

The reason I am so happy to pay the premium is Fly. There have been so many times where my tanks have been locked at crucial moments that make them useless. Bubble wrap only holds out for so long.

I am almost inclined to agree that 2 Repulsors may be superior for DA with Azzy (3 would suffer from diminishing returns), withbone potentially empty. For UM, however, I would argue that one with dudes inside is better than two empty ones. UM hit harder than DA, but take less in return. Being able to reduce drops by getting 3 characters and a unit inside one Repulsor is worth more than just having one Repulsor, not only for the fewer drops but also because those units can get into position much better when disembarking from that shoe box. If you would want to go for pure output, there are better options, even among Primaris, than a second Repulsor.

I am almost inclined to agree that 2 Repulsors may be superior for DA with Azzy (3 would suffer from diminishing returns), withbone potentially empty. For UM, however, I would argue that one with dudes inside is better than two empty ones. UM hit harder than DA, but take less in return. Being able to reduce drops by getting 3 characters and a unit inside one Repulsor is worth more than just having one Repulsor, not only for the fewer drops but also because those units can get into position much better when disembarking from that shoe box. If you would want to go for pure output, there are better options, even among Primaris, than a second Repulsor.

Totally agree. I think I should have explained my view a bit more that it is purely Dark Angels specific. UM would definitely benefit from any kind of Primaris Marines because their strong Chapter tactic and not to mention Guilliman being such a beast force multiplier.

I can see the diminishing returns debate with 3 Repulsors but that's what play testing is for. I'll let you all know how I go once I get back from Mexico.

I will still be keeping all three for my display cabinet anyway, I really do love the model.

• 2 months later...

Well as I promised I have been testing the triple Repulsor extensively. I've played about 10 games with this list mostly ITC Champions missions but a bit of Maelstrom also. All opponents took competitive lists.

My list:

Dark Angels 1997

Battalion Detachment

HQ

Azrael 180

Primaris Lieutenant 74

Power Sword

Techmarine 57

Servo Arm

Chainsword

TROOPS

(5) Scout Squad 55

Bolters

(5) Scout Squad 55

Bolters

(10) Scout Squad 150

Sniper RIfles

FAST ATTACK

Dark Shroud 149

Assault Cannon

ELITE

Redemptor Dreadnought 202

Heavy Onslaught Gatling Cannon

Onslaught Gatling Cannon

2x Storm Bolter

Icarus Rocket Pod

Redemptor Fist

DEDICATED TRANSPORT

Repulsor 340

Heavy Onslaught Gatling Cannon

Onslaught Gatling Cannon

Ironhail Heavy Stubber

Twin Lascannon

2x Fragstorm Launchers

2x Krakstorm Launchers

3x Storm Bolter

Repulsor 340

(as above)

Repulsor 340

(As above)

The list played quite well and was refreshing to play something that moves around a lot (as opposed to my 3 predator list in the past). I won 6 out of 10 games.

The games I lost were mostly to me making bad decisions (mostly pushing forward to kill things rather than move back/out of LOS to try and maintain my lead). One of the games I just got swamped by Reapers and smite spam. As you can see the list has nothing vs smite spam except to try and stay away.

I don't think 3 Repulsors is a points sink. The look on my opponents face when you are throwing out an insane amount of dice to do the shooting phase for one of the Repulsors and then saying "ok...now I can do that two more times"" is priceless.

The 4++ and -1 to hit makes them incredibly durable and flying around the board capping objectives was great rather than relying on my Scouts to do it. I never ran into any problems with my characters trying to keep up which is good.

However.....

I do now very much agree that I should run some Primaris to ride inside for some extra fire support. I think a 10 man unit of Hellblasters to complement the new DA stratagem that is coming out giving all Plasma +1 Damage will synergise well. Was also tossing up 3 units of 3 Agressors or fill the Repulsors completely with 29 Intercessors but I think I need the extra oomph from the Hellblasters as the Repulsors have a lot of the small arms covered.

The Redemptor was nice but way too slow to keep up and not that great when he got bogged down in combat so that's a good chunk of points there that can go towards the Hellblasters.

I also found this list doesn't need as much bubble wrapping vs assault units thanks to the -2 to charge that comes standard with the Repulsors. The 11" charge on deepstrikers to get into combat with them puts most people off. That with the insane amount of re-rolling overwatch combined with the fact if you don't kill one it will just retreat and shoot you again, I only saw one of my opponents try it and it didn't end well for him. I do have to watch out for coming up against any deep strike units that can move again (Warp Time and Swarmlord Tyranids).

Anyways I will be testing out some more triple Repulsor with the changes once the new DA codex comes out as I need to see if the DA specific unit's points values change at all. I'm still painting up the Repulsors also. 

The Repulsor is an excellent unit in terms of firepower, but perhaps drop one of them and fill the other two with Hellblasters and Intercessors? The Redemptor is OK but I much prefer a Chaplain Dreadnought :-)

Perhaps run a Spearhead detachment with 3 Squads of Hellblasters as your heavy choices?

Primaris Marines are well priced now, and these Tanks resolve their mobility issues.

You're lucky with DA, the hit modifier and Invul bubble is exceptionally useful!

Edited by Ishagu

Ishagu and Ulfgrim are absolutely right.

It's useless to plan for the role of a unit before a game, or to analyze in a vacuum.

The felt need to 'get its points back' by killing stuff is one metric, but not the only one to use a unit. If stuff gets their points back but the game is lost, the game is still lost.

Even fire magnet or distraction has value. The Repulsor is quite wonderful in its versatility, and the harder it is for the opponent to read your plan during deployment the more advantage you can get.