End of an era for BL?

Olis

For months I've heard people almost begging for BL to stop milking the storyline. ( I wasn't one of them, but I admit the storyline got a little thin once in a while). Now it's happening so hold on and enjoy the end of the ride.

There is a ton of material to draw from for BL. I personally look at this moment as bitter sweet.

Unification of Terra next please!

You know I was just thinking this. The HH seems to have been wrapped in many questions and mysteries that now seem to be clearer.

The unification wars are another one of those eras wrapped in questions and confusion. Even asking a simple question as "Where is Albia?" Can get you 4 answers. Would be nice to have clarification.

They couldn't do that without at least rolling out early canon versions of the II and XI, and I think those should be left alone.

If they want to keep interest in HH products, I guess Scouring, Primarch and some 31st/2nd/3rd stories will be the way to go. Some First Black Crusade stuff would be neat - flesh out a Black Legion warlord like Vortigern and showcase the Astartes while they still have a few jetbikes, javelins, suits of Mk IV etc. And it lets GW show off Chaos stuff without everyone having to queue up to fight Guiliiman.

Edited by bluntblade

Unification of Terra next please!

You know I was just thinking this. The HH seems to have been wrapped in many questions and mysteries that now seem to be clearer.

The unification wars are another one of those eras wrapped in questions and confusion. Even asking a simple question as "Where is Albia?" Can get you 4 answers. Would be nice to have clarification.

They couldn't do that without at least rolling out early canon versions of the II and XI, and I think those should be left alone.

If they want to keep interest in HH products, I guess Scouring, Primarch and some 31st/2nd/3rd stories will be the way to go. Some First Black Crusade stuff would be neat - flesh out a Black Legion warlord like Vortigern and showcase the Astartes while they still have a few jetbikes, javelins, suits of Mk IV etc. And it lets GW show off Chaos stuff without everyone having to queue up to fight Guiliiman.

Primarch Project only happened after the unification war. So the story could end right before the primarchs are fully realized and the ii and xi are still in the air.

The Astartes fought in the Unification Wars, and in The First Heretic we see Ist Legion gene-seed being invented while the infant Priamrchs are in their vats.

On the other hand, Lexicanum has the Unification Wars lasting centuries at least. So every scribe at BL could be occupied for decades until they run out of non-Lost Legions stuff to write...

Lots of places they could go.

I'd personally love more series ala the beast series.

The Badab War

The wars for armageddon

The age of apostasy

The first tyranid war

Lots of backstory things worth writing about

All of those sound good, but TBH I'll take anything at all that isn't Dark Imperium-/41K-related. I mean, ideally they'd go right back to doing what made BL popular in the first place - producing original stories that added to the setting without having to namedrop and reference the wider setting constantly, and expanding some of the popular ones into series of their own - but they seem to like the "hook 'em & cook 'em" strategy of a planned series that provides semi-predictable revenue, so my hope is limited to them doing series I'm actually interested in reading.

Age of Apostasy seems like the next logical 'big thing' that happens next, but given how small a role Space Marines play in the current fluff, I'd be surprised to see a full-blown series about it. I also think a series on the Unification Wars would kill a lot of the mystique surrounding the period (and indeed the Emperor), so I doubt we'd see that either. 

Given that we've finally advanced the storyline past 999.M41, I think it's most probable that we'll see more fiction aimed at pushing the storyline further into M42, rather than going back and exploring 'historical' events that most of the younger player base don't care about/have never heard of. And I'm cool with that. Even though I'm not on board with 8th edition or any of this Dark Imperium nonsense, I'd rather see BL/FW/GW focus on going forward, rather than going back to butcher plot threads and interesting ideas that should serve as open-ended spring boards for players to create their own stories. I used to love the idea of the Badab War, back in 2nd/3rd, when it was a collection of old RT images and scattered fragments of fluff in short stories/IA articles, but the FW books really killed my interest in it. A BL series on the war, probably the likeliest of any pre-M42 series, would only annoy me even more.

That being said, I actually wouldn't be adverse to seeing a series on the Gothic War. As an event with a whole game system, a handful of novels and a video game to its name, it is already pretty established - but nevertheless not fully explored. A novel series tied in to a re-release of BFG... well, one can dream.

Thank god its ending, its had a good run but enough is enough.

It also showed that people can be interested in different Eras of the universe...so can we get an Age of Apostasy series? Getting some focus on the Ministorum and the founding Sisters of Battle would be wondrous.

Ran

^^^ I cant agree more with this. 

I just really want ADB to write a HH Blood Angels book.

I want him to write anything, every book he has wrote is a masterpiece, I bet he could even polish a turd that guy!! 

Edited by Slave to Darkness

I disagree that this means the HH series will be over soon.

I think it means they're planning an outline of events to the end of the Heresy, but it might be 5 years till we get all the stories up to the death of Horus. They take a while to write and release.

The story of the end of the Heresy is not the end of stories from the Heresy.

Imho.

I'm vaguely scared of what no longer having a novel series around and active will do to the Heresy community. We've been taking more than a few blows recently what with everything that's happened these past few months, and honestly, this is something we've never really experienced before. Black Library's Horus Heresy has been a cornerstone of the 30k community since, well, before it was really a community, and I'm not sure anyone could be entirely certain what import it carries with us. So... I dunno. We're living in interesting times.

What does it mean for the 30k community?

Nothing really, we run on a different timeline given the fact that we use Black Books.

I do see your point to an extent, but I think your'e giving the main BL series far too much credence as being the main cornerstone of the 30k game. I LOVE the series, but Id make the argument that better looking models and a better rules set (at least when it come to 7th) as the cornerstones of this community.

Mixed feelings. Nice to have a clear finish but kinda don't want it to happen.

I'm sure the writers will be able to return to the setting on occasion though.

Also like to see the Scouring but the Beast Arises has me excited to see what new material they might go with.

I'm vaguely scared of what no longer having a novel series around and active will do to the Heresy community. We've been taking more than a few blows recently what with everything that's happened these past few months, and honestly, this is something we've never really experienced before. Black Library's Horus Heresy has been a cornerstone of the 30k community since, well, before it was really a community, and I'm not sure anyone could be entirely certain what import it carries with us. So... I dunno. We're living in interesting times.

What does it mean for the 30k community?

Nothing really, we run on a different timeline given the fact that we use Black Books.

I do see your point to an extent, but I think your'e giving the main BL series far too much credence as being the main cornerstone of the 30k game. I LOVE the series, but Id make the argument that better looking models and a better rules set (at least when it come to 7th) as the cornerstones of this community.

People were gaming in the Heresy before BL started the novels and FW made it a thing, we will continue afterwards. 

Not exactly a bad thing.  The Horus Heresy had become the Anti-Song of Ice and Fire.  Instead of George R. R. Martin not finishing the novels people wanted to read to get to the end of a prescribed story arc everybody wanted to see happen, the Black Library just churned out at lest a couple dozen novels not worth reading to stretch out the prescribed story arc people just wanted to read the end of, lol.

Not exactly a bad thing. The Horus Heresy had become the Anti-Song of Ice and Fire. Instead of George R. R. Martin not finishing the novels people wanted to read to get to the end of a prescribed story arc everybody wanted to see happen, the Black Library just churned out at lest a couple dozen novels not worth reading to stretch out the prescribed story arc people just wanted to read the end of, lol.

Yeah dont remind me how many Isstvaan novels we had...or Salamanders >_< it was like if Dany never left Essos...it just dragged on.

There were some phenomenal ones here and there but they became scarcer and farther between. Perhaps the siege will reinvigorate the 30k hobby/lore after the passing of Alan Bligh and 8th edition.