Good Sportsmanship? What would you do?

Khornestar

I wouldn't expect a player to deploy and move so as to allow my Terminator squad to teleport in and target his characters unopposed because it's cinematic and fun for me. If you're okay doing this sort of thing then go ahead and do it. It's your fun not mine.

If you have a problem with modifying your game to handicap yourself just so your opponent can get one up on you, which looks like you do since you raised it here, then simply say no.

The 3rd way, if you're afraid of offending someone (and in this circumstance I wouldn't be) I'd say think how you could benefit too. Allow him to have such an easy deploy but ask in return if you can have your Terminators come in for a reserve in close at 6" to represent a counter attack.

Nah, I didn't have a problem with doing so once. If it happened again, that would be a different story. I was more curious how everyone else approaches the game in terms of the other player's experience.

yeah, see the thing, this is a social game[*gasp* J-man used the forbiden S word], so when your opponent plays next time he is going to have a powerful leverage to do it again, against a different person. And lets say he isn't some hardcore play ever day dude, if he gets it off 5-6 times, this maybe a year or half of playing. Generaly stuff like that ends or can end bad. Am all being civil, but we have a saying here[which probably does not translate well in to english] about it.It goes like this,  You can kill people by being nice, and nice people can get you killed.

To give an example from a few years ago, about a cheater at a big tournament in US. People knew he cheated before and in other games, but they were just too nice to point it out in smaller tournaments or private games, and then were suprised that the dude that did this his whole gaming career not only tried, but pulled it off at GT level tournament. If someone said no to him a few years before this wouldn't have happened. So while one does not have to think about the big picture everytime, sometimes it is worth doing. Hell you can even play game or do something with strange "house rules", but at least point it out to the opponent, that this is not the norm and such actions are not something to be expected most of times. It is better for future that way.

My response would have been to scrap the mission altogether and to use one of the narrative ambush missions out of the book, or to create one from scratch.

This.  At the point where OP said the guy wanted to change deployment to allow infiltration, that's the point where you realise your expectations of the game are different to your opponent's.   The skill here is to pause and try to agree what your're game actually is.

I'm very happy to play games where each side tailors their list (shock horror!) and the experience to make a game that is fun for both. 

For example this one recently, I took an armoured column of vehicles filled with infantry to represent a convoy being ambushed, and my opponent has just surrounded me with drop troops and  barricaded my exit with vehicles.  I lost, but it was cinematic and fun. 

4doZMal.jpg

However we had pre-agreed to play a narrative game. I wouldn't have taken this list to play Maelstrom. 

The problem only comes if your opponent thinks he's playing a tournament style game but wants you to change your deployment to make it easier for him.  Er, no!