Primaris Grey Knights

b1soul

Well, 10K years should be enough to improve your work, right? We got a Wolfpriest who nearly solved the Canix Helix issue within his lifespan.

And with the ressources of Mars at hand, he's got the right tools to do so. Besides, I rather believe that Cawl is an amalgamation of the several genius minds he did encounter in his life. Most likely his most potent adepts or something like that.

Fabius was also successful in somehow in cloning Primarchs.

So, at least for me, this is not that of an issue.

In the “Of Mars” trilogy there’s a tech priest that essentially has multiple brain jars in order to bring together various peoples consciousnesses. This is kind of a progression And improvement on that where he’s in the same vessel and copies himself. It’s still in the realm of “ok” in my head. Plus being essentially an AI means the 10k years old thing becomes a moot point. It’s not like he was ever in danger in a science lab.

If someone can produce a novel where he featured heavily and it delves into his personality then it can only benefit the setting in my view.

Can original Astartes even be upgraded to Primaris?

Now there's a question. Remember how GW works, overall. "Here's a model. Make lore for it."

As a few people have mentioned on GW social media, we've been told that no, Marines can't be upgraded, and it's not in any of the codex material released. There was an informal mention on one of the live streams that they can, but after that we were told not to do it, and it's not in the Codex released after that live stream.

But if they remake the famous special characters like Calgar and Dante, etc.? My guess (and it's 100% just a guess, with no insider info) is that they'll be bigger, and maybe even Primaris-size, and suddenly yes, Marines can be made into Primaris Marines, after all.

tl;dr -- I have no insider info and now I'm wondering why I actually posted.

Edited by A D-B

Maybe it's because you're a gossip? ;)

Seriously, I'm curious, too. At first we all thought that normal Astartes could be "Primarized". Until now, we got no confirmation of this. But as A D-B just mentioned, I can't believe that they let iconic characters die for the sake of new semi-iconic Primaris characters.

I believe the story of a marine being “Primarized” (I do like that word) is something that ADB would enjoy covering as I believe he writes about how characters interact in a thorough way. It would be good to see how they experience the increased power, vitality and even getting used to the balance of their larger bodies.

I could of course be wrong.

It’s a fairly safe guess to assume it will be introduced.

Ultimately they want to sell models and if the models need to be bigger for whatever reason then it stands to reason that logically all special characters will get the new size too.

Can original Astartes even be upgraded to Primaris?

Now there's a question. Remember how GW works, overall. "Here's a model. Make lore for it."

As a few people have mentioned on GW social media, we've been told that no, Marines can't be upgraded, and it's not in any of the codex material released. There was an informal mention on one of the live streams that they can, but after that we were told not to do it, and it's not in the Codex released after that live stream.

But if they remake the famous special characters like Calgar and Dante, etc.? My guess (and it's 100% just a guess, with no insider info) is that they'll be bigger, and maybe even Primaris-size, and suddenly yes, Marines can be made into Primaris Marines, after all.

tl;dr -- I have no insider info and now I'm wondering why I actually posted.

Rulewise will be a cluster:cuss because of the Primaris keyword. I can have a big Helbrecth but he can't ride a repulsor because reasons.

And to use him as count has, I need gear options that are unavailable for Primaris Captains.

That needs sorting out.

I believe the story of a marine being “Primarized” (I do like that word) is something that ADB would enjoy covering as I believe he writes about how characters interact in a thorough way. It would be good to see how they experience the increased power, vitality and even getting used to the balance of their larger bodies.

I could of course be wrong.

It’s a fairly safe guess to assume it will be introduced.

Ultimately they want to sell models and if the models need to be bigger for whatever reason then it stands to reason that logically all special characters will get the new size too.

Yes, if done well it could be interesting to see how they individually handle that transition and "new" life.

Someone "young" like Ragnar" would probably be elevated to even greater heights - but would it be as effectice on someone "old" as Logan, Ulrik or Dante? Would it rejuvenate them? Or have a high risk of failing? Would some reject it?

What's with Lukas? He only has one heart - could that be a risk for the upgrade to fail?

Grey Knights not !yet! getting Primaris could be explained away with Cawl only having main-Legions' Gene-Seed and Recruits for his long-term project.

With them not being direct descendants AND the need of psyker recruits, Cawl could only start work on them after Guilliman's return. He probably didn't even notice much of the Grey Knights' Existence, Working in his secret lab for 10k years.

If chapters have the tech they can make their own Primaris. They don't need Cawl.

Hence I'm sure the GK will use every advantage available to them.

Since Cawl it used the gene seed of the 20 legions, the GK are missing out on the first wave.

Also model wise they are considerable different.

I for one will welcome our new GK overlords.

Edited by Sete

One step at a time. I was hoping the fluff could be revised at some point.

Only children candidtates could accept primaris class upgrades whereas normal grown men could recieve "standard" astartee geneseed. Makes recruitment and seniority alot more viable to chapter recruitment.

...in the fluff, grown men implantation success rate is extremely low

As I recall, a lot of adult Fenrisians and Chogorians (retinue of their primarchs) who tried to ascend were killed by the process

which is exactly as it should be an no strict corners around it. Cawl cheated - but everything has a price in the end.

Fabius will thank Cawl eventually - after all that mechanicus idiot provided the material 'Clonelord' was searhing for millennia :yes: