Watch Captain loadouts

Captain Boyle

Captain should always have a RELIC BLADE over a TH simply because it's a RELIC BLADE.

Is this melee loadout worth it? It sounds interesting, but even with the point reduction from SM codex, the captain will cost 129 pts. 15 points for a +1 invul seems steep.

DW can't take items from the SM codex, they have to use the imperium index (per FAQ). You can only take the appropriate Primaris units, their associated equipment and librarian powers (per downloadable rules and warhammer community article).

DW can't take items from the SM codex, they have to use the imperium index (per FAQ). You can only take the appropriate Primaris units, their associated equipment and librarian powers (per downloadable rules and warhammer community article).

Do you mean the RELIC BLADE? It's an option under the captain's datasheet.

Good question. I hope that somebody could explain what is the right interpretation of rules. My opinion is that if Captain is from DW faction then it becomes DW captain and can only use DW wargear. Relic blade currently is not DW wargear so reqular DW Captain cannot use it but as index: imperium 1 pg. 171 rule says DW Termie Captain can use Relic blade.

Good question. I hope that somebody could explain what is the right interpretation of rules. My opinion is that if Captain is from DW faction then it becomes DW captain and can only use DW wargear. Relic blade currently is not DW wargear so reqular DW Captain cannot use it but as index: imperium 1 pg. 171 rule says DW Termie Captain can use Relic blade.

As per the FAQs and imperial index 1, deathwatch captains can use the space marine captain gear options from the codex or the index with the changes as said in the deathwatch wargear section as that section only adjusts what the affected units can equip themselves with from each list it can take from and as such deathwatch captains can use relic blades as that is a option a captain can take for a melee weapon. Edited by Stargate_wars

The RELIC BLADE is not an option under the equipment list for either SM or DW. It is a special (although not unique) option under the Captain datasheet.

Ok. Thank you (Stargate_wars, Moostick) for clarifying this. I think my Watch Captain just got new ...I mean new old blade :biggrin.:

Yes, the relic blade is good to go. It was a general statement and was leaning towards things like you aren't supposed to use point costs for equipment from the space marine index for deathwatch. If it's in the imperium index, you're good and you use those values. Per the FAQ.

Data sheet gear is assumed with the exceptions being listed on the Deathwatch gear page. Just like HTHs aren't listed in the melee gear but under kill teams and veteran vanguard, it says you can take one :)

Ok. Thank you (Stargate_wars, Moostick) for clarifying this. I think my Watch Captain just got new ...I mean new old blade :biggrin.:

Keep in mind the RELIC BLADE is likely a very poor choice in terms of pts VS efficiency. The reason to take it is simply because it is a RELIC BLADE, which makes it the best melee weapon simply because.

It's probably only overshadowed in that department by the hilarious HTH.

So I don't see why you couldn't take a relic blade (other than it isn't very good.)

You be quiet, you.

With the coming points changes, power fist is probably the best bang for its buck since it has no extra cost for characters. To upgrade to a thunder hammer for a guaranteed D3, it's nearly double the cost.

So I don't see why you couldn't take a relic blade (other than it isn't very good.)

You be quiet, you.

With the coming points changes, power fist is probably the best bang for its buck since it has no extra cost for characters. To upgrade to a thunder hammer for a guaranteed D3, it's nearly double the cost.

Free power fist for characters would be great. On the other hand currently my Watch Captain manages just fine with the power axe and to me Relic Blade weapon profile is just better axe. I know that thunder hammer would be even better but when I now look at my Captain with that long shiny Relic Blade it's not hard to decide which weapon he gets :smile.: After all, he's The Watch Captain, fearless leader and inspiration to others so he needs a well known and feared weapon that can be used to kill Xenos and as a symbol for courage and honor. I think Relic Blade is perfect tool for his job.

Edited by spacewatch

I'm looking  for a captain with JP whose role would be to DS close to a double PPlasma vanguard squad as an alpha strike overheat guarantee...

I'm just wondering what to give him for weapon loadout.

As a CCweapon I'd go for an axe as the +21S is nice (+2 of the Relic blade would bring few advantage as I'd get a bonus only against T3 or T5/6 models which  are either low opponents or pretty rare)

But what for the shooting weapon? Plasma is no because I alreay have lots of in the vanguard squads and I don't want to lose the model on a double1. flamer would be good in case of charge of my character but I's lose the shoot during DS. Melta seems nice as I can shoot a nice S8 during the DS (though no double roll on D)

Any idea?

Combi-flamers are probably good - cheap enough and gives you some extra shots. Feels like it makes up for the lack of SIA. The MC boltgun isn't a horrible choice either... -1 AP and 2D.

The combi-melta is the best choice for damage potential against single targets.

Depending what you intend to deep strike near, a storm bolter would be ok as well: Deep strike near a friendly squad giving them the reroll 1's bonus, add 4 extra shots and attempt to charge with the axe. Or deter things from charging you.

Depending what you intend to deep strike near, a storm bolter would be ok as well: Deep strike near a friendly squad giving them the reroll 1's bonus, add 4 extra shots and attempt to charge with the axe. Or deter things from charging you.

I’ve actually answer that queation yet ;)

I'm looking for a captain with JP whose role would be to DS close to a double PPlasma vanguard squad as an alpha strike overheat guarantee...

I'm looking  for a captain with JP whose role would be to DS close to a double PPlasma vanguard squad as an alpha strike overheat guarantee...

I'm just wondering what to give him for weapon loadout.

As a CCweapon I'd go for an axe as the +21S is nice (+2 of the Relic blade would bring few advantage as I'd get a bonus only against T3 or T5/6 models which  are either low opponents or pretty rare)

But what for the shooting weapon? Plasma is no because I alreay have lots of in the vanguard squads and I don't want to lose the model on a double1. flamer would be good in case of charge of my character but I's lose the shoot during DS. Melta seems nice as I can shoot a nice S8 during the DS (though no double roll on D)

Any idea?

I use a Capt w/ Thunder Hammer and Grav Pistol for this purpose.  He is there to do heroic interventions if my VV gets charged.

Call me a sucker but I still like Artemis. Ever since the Deathwatch novel came out, he’s my guy. I love the grenade for better or worse.

As far as fists, hammers and more ( sounds like a Forgeworld gift shop!), ever since they reduced Fist cost I just can’t justify the cost for hammers and chain fists, which I hate myself for because I’m the guy that wanted heavy hammers on characters because it just looked so cool.

True, but DW's points weren't reduced and we aren't supposed to use C:SM point values unless it's specific for the Primaris dudes we're allowed. So Thunder Hammers aren't so bad, at least until our codex comes out in 6 years.

Artemis is legit, definitely a brawler/front lines kind of guy. And SIA too right? I need to buy him...

True, but DW's points weren't reduced and we aren't supposed to use C:SM point values unless it's specific for the Primaris dudes we're allowed. So Thunder Hammers aren't so bad, at least until our codex comes out in 6 years.

Artemis is legit, definitely a brawler/front lines kind of guy. And SIA too right? I need to buy him...

Right now per the Codexes: your questions answered -

Can I choose to use the rules and/or points for units from my index instead of the new ones in the codex once released?

In your own games, if you and your opponent agree, you can, of course, play with whatever rules you like.

In all future publications and official events though, it will be assumed that you’re using the most recent rules and Datasheets. It will also be assumed that you’re using the most up to date points for matched play, in this case, those included in the codex.

So right now we use C:SM For the points cost till our codex comes out same applies to BA, DA as well as SW and yes Artemis has SIA.

Right now per the Codexes: your questions answered -

Can I choose to use the rules and/or points for units from my index instead of the new ones in the codex once released?

In your own games, if you and your opponent agree, you can, of course, play with whatever rules you like.

In all future publications and official events though, it will be assumed that you’re using the most recent rules and Datasheets. It will also be assumed that you’re using the most up to date points for matched play, in this case, those included in the codex.

So right now we use C:SM For the points cost till our codex comes out same applies to BA, DA as well as SW and yes Artemis has SIA.

That answer is for using the codex alongside the index for the same army, so using an Index tactical squad and an Codex one at the same time or whatever. Deathwatch only get access to the expanded psychic tree, we still have super expensive fists and hammers.