Deth Guard Green and brass - help me figure out the colors!

landondavisfisher

Try as I might, I still have not quite figured out how they achieved the studio DG colors, and I'd like to think I'm a pretty good painter.

I've gotten close with the green, with DGG - Camoshade - Drybrush Elysian Green - Ogryn Camo edge - Krieg Khaki edge, but it still looks too... green-y? I don't know. The models in the codex look lighter and paler. Anybody been able to achieve that look or pretty close?

As for the brass, I'm totally lost. GW materials (Dark Imperium inserts, Morty's box, etc) show AT LEAST three different *suggested* methods for painting the brass trim, all of which do not do the trick any help is appreciated!

Did you shade with Agrax Earthshade? To achieve the studio color, start with DGG, then ink it with Agrax Earthshade. Layer up with Elysian Green than Ogryn camo for highlights.

For the bronz trim, start with Blthsasar gold, shade with Agrax Earthshade, then edge with Sycorax Bronze. Some Oxide for effect. I also like a light drybrush of silver, but by light I mean REALLY light.

Did you shade with Agrax Earthshade? To achieve the studio color, start with DGG, then ink it with Agrax Earthshade. Layer up with Elysian Green than Ogryn camo for highlights.

For the bronz trim, start with Blthsasar gold, shade with Agrax Earthshade, then edge with Sycorax Bronze. Some Oxide for effect. I also like a light drybrush of silver, but by light I mean REALLY light.

So an actual layer of Elysian Green? Maybe that's what I've been missing - I've just been doing a very subtle drybrush of EG before moving onto my edge highlights. Thanks!

meCgaIO.jpg

This is the official DG green recipe, from the twitter of multiple eavy metal painters. They did not use Agrax Earthshade on their models

Have anything for that bone they used? Been trying to mimic it with a variety of screaming skull, zanders dust, and (i forgot but a dark tan one) with agrax shade. I just cant get it right.

Also is the metal a brass or copper? I want to say coloer but I could be deceived.

Edited by Caldersson

I might have those recipes saved on my PC if they've posted them, but I'm not home right now. Your best bet is to ask the 'eavy metal painters directly on twitter: they keep detailed track of the recipes they use (so they can replicate it across the range when a multitude of different painters are doing it) and they're generally top blokes. They'll probably help.

Max

Tom

There are others on there as well

meCgaIO.jpg

This is the official DG green recipe, from the twitter of multiple eavy metal painters. They did not use Agrax Earthshade on their models

That's not necessarily true. Unless GW lied on their booklets included with the Plague Brethren box the instructions I have says: Death Guard Green, Agrax Earthshade, ogryn camo, kireg khaki

So an actual layer of Elysian Green? Maybe that's what I've been missing - I've just been doing a very subtle drybrush of EG before moving onto my edge highlights. Thanks!

Yes, a thin layer of Elysian painting just up to the recesses where the Agrax settled into. The shade gives nice depth in the cracks, then the Elysian brings the green color more depth. Thin the paint with water and do 2 coats to get the depth you want. Duncan dry brushes in the video, but layering gives you the green I think you are looking for. 

This is the recipe Duncan uses in his tutorials. looks great in the final product. These videos have really helped me be a better painter.

https://youtu.be/29Yg2ukwpTo

There are lots of ways to do it, so go with what you feel comfortable with.

Edited by Mack

(snip for readability)

That's not necessarily true. Unless GW lied on their booklets included with the Plague Brethren box the instructions I have says: Death Guard Green, Agrax Earthshade, ogryn camo, kireg khaki

Sorry, but it is true. Don't take a simplified guide in a mini-booklet over the official recipe list straight from the painter where possible. They've been putting different colours to the actual recipes on boxes, in booklets and in WD magazines for decades now. Load up the GW paint app and you'll see a list of colours that supposedly gets you the red on a Khorne Berzerker model painted well over a decade ago - there are a lot of other examples like that. It doesn't mean you can't get a similar look with Agrax Earthshade, but that is not what they used on their models, which is what OP was asking for.

To add, the subtle streaks you see on DG models are also Athonian Camoshade. And finally, on the twitch livestream around the time of Dark Imperium, Max (the lead painter) said the DG green was specifically designed to go with Athonian Camoshade.

(snip for readability)

Sorry, but it is true. Don't take a simplified guide in a mini-booklet over the official recipe list straight from the painter where possible. They've been putting different colours to the actual recipes on boxes, in booklets and in WD magazines for decades now. Load up the GW paint app and you'll see a list of colours that supposedly gets you the red on a Khorne Berzerker model painted well over a decade ago - there are a lot of other examples like that. It doesn't mean you can't get a similar look with Agrax Earthshade, but that is not what they used on their models, which is what OP was asking for.

To add, the subtle streaks you see on DG models are also Athonian Camoshade. And finally, on the twitch livestream around the time of Dark Imperium, Max (the lead painter) said the DG green was specifically designed to go with Athonian Camoshade.

Taking the recipe from Duncan's video.

(snip for readability)

Taking the recipe from Duncan's video.

Duncan is not a member of the 'eavy metal team, and he does not paint the models you see on the website and in their magazines. OP asked for the studio DG colours, which come from the 'eavy metal team.

This isn't a slight against Duncan or anybody who uses his tutorials, but it's still a different result.

Edited by Marshal Loss

Dude, I really don't care who you got it from. I can look at the pictures and clearly see agrax earthshade in the recesses of the Plague Brethren marines. I know 'eavy metal does not always use the same scheme, so *maybe* they use athonian on some.. I'll even give you most of the DG range. That said, I can absolutely see agrax earth shade on other models. 

OP, don't know how you've done the brass but in my booklet they list: screaming bell, followed by agrax earthshade, followed by fulgurite copper, followed by stormhost silver.

Something to keep in mind. All of the 'Eavy Metal painted models are going to be varnished before theyre displayed (and problem using purity seal or something similar). If you're judging your minis with out having some type of matte varnish on them then they will be a different shade. 

Edited by Bloody Legionnaire

Ah sorry, I clearly don't have the expert vision of the Agrax Earthshade detector. I'll be sure to ignore the actual painters who did the army in future given your familiarity with the process - I don't know what I was thinking, assuming that a dedicated miniature painting team would be sure to work out recipes in order to achieve a consistent result across the range. Thanks for the illumination. :teehee:

Edited by Marshal Loss

Duncan and the painting books, I believe, are for the masses. It's simplified and easier painting that most people can quickly grasp. (aka tabletop quality)

'eavy metal are the studio painters that, again I believe, takes more skill to perform. (studio quality?)

There isn't a slight to either one but they are meant to be displayed to different groups. If I took a new painter and said "Hey, here is the 'eavy metals paint recipe and paint supplies" they are going to be more overwhelmed than if I said "Here is Duncan painting video and paint supplies."

Now with that out of the way.

Marshall Loss, Please let me know if you have the recipes. I am not one to use twitter so I will see if they have written anything in the past that is openly viewable. Thank you.

Edited by Caldersson

Well yeah it isn't exactly exactly rocket science. I'm not insulting anybody who wants to use Agrax Earthshade to get an easier result, but they're obviously far more likely to put that on the box as opposed to use this thinned shade in a particular way, and then mix these particular colours to get a fine shade again used in another particular way.

The whole point of the citadel paint system on boxes and in booklets etc is to have easy steps for people to follow without mixing their colours or doing anything remotely complicated, so TImmy can see the Plague Brethren box and know that he has to buy these four colours to get something close to that result. There are a lot of brown/green tones going into the recesses of those models. Nothing wrong with the system, but it's still very different to the process to get the actual models on the box. I'm just grateful that the painters are kind enough to share their recipes directly with fans of their work.

Edited by Marshal Loss

The whole point of the citadel paint system on boxes and in booklets etc is to have easy steps for people to follow without mixing their colours or doing anything remotely complicated

Yeah I remember back when I was playing 7e WHFB the range of paints was much smaller and mixing paints to get the color you want was the norm. I was kinda overwhelmed and amazed when I came back to the hobby and started with 40k...so many paints for specific purposes where I used to just use some random paint in the right color. :D

Marshal Loss sent me a message with Mortys trim color.

Base coat: Hashut/Doombull 9:1

Shade Agraxx

Deep Shade Mix= Khorne/Black 1:1

HL Base Mix

HL Retributer/Stormhost 1:1

Final HL Stormhost

@marshall loss: I attempted to send you a thank you note. I dont have access to a pc as I am moving right now, but the BnC mobile site is saying you blocked me. Just wanted to say thank you.

Edited by Caldersson

Lord Marshall sent me a message with Mortys trim color.

Did he now

@marshall loss: I attempted to send you a thank you note. I dont have access to a pc as I am moving right now, but the BnC mobile site is saying you blocked me. Just wanted to say thank you.

Relax I use an archaic forum app made by a friend that basically auto-ignores when I delete a message (as my university has an IT team that seeks to hunt down and destroy all joy in the universe if you're staff there for 'productivity reasons'). You're welcome

Edited by Marshal Loss

Not on the Green, which is what we were obviously referring too.

Besides, if I were a mocking man, I'd simply quote this with a few minor additions as a riposte:

I know 'eavy metal does not always use the same scheme, so *maybe* they use athonian agrax earthshade on some.. I'll even give you most of the DG range. That said, I can absolutely not see agrax earth shade on other models.

Rock on, Agrax Earthshade whisperer, rock on

Something to keep in mind. All of the 'Eavy Metal painted models are going to be varnished before theyre displayed (and problem using purity seal or something similar). If you're judging your minis with out having some type of matte varnish on them then they will be a different shade. 

Actually, the 'eavy Metal team does not use varnish at all as a final clear coat. 

The Eavy Metal team mixing their own batches of paint has been an open secret for awhile. They work up schemes then mix a big pot and share smaller amounts of them around the studio such as the first list with DG green as a new paint to keep schemes consistent. Well as consistent as you can be because they all paint slightly different ways.

There is the story of a brown mix one of the team mix from about ten colours and end up with a stock brown, until you start to thin it down when it has a different tint to anything else. I know a GD finalist that works like this too, he just sees the colour used or the mix needed almost by instinct. Ask him to explain it and he can't but boy his paint is on another level.