UM captain load out

harrybo

Hey guys,

Just sorting through my bits to make a sweet looking Ultramarine captain with a jump pack.

But with so many wargear options I'm not sure what to arm this guy with. Sanctic Halo is obvious but as to weapons I can't decide.

My new captain would be mostly dropping in to support deep strikers such as vanguard vets or even rapid movement to intercept something dangerous from my deployment zone.

So what do we think is an effective load out for a captain with jump pack?

Thanks in advance!

I've become a fan of Power Axe and Plasma Pistol. They're relatively cheap, decently effective, and give you some range if you're trying to hide from being the closest unit. You won't be a monster, by any means, but they're pretty reliable.

I used the Legion Moritat with dual plasma pistols model, replaced one plasma pistol with a bolt pistol (unfortunately no dual plasma pistols for Captains) and glued a chainsword from the Mk3 plastics to his back. That gives me a Captain with jump pack, plasma and bolt pistols, and a chainsword which I always upgrade to Teeth of Terra. I'm building a squad of dual plasma Vanguard to accompany him into battle.

A good all-round armament I'd say would be combi-plasma and relic blade.

Power axes are alright of course and nice and cheap.

However, doing D3 damage will be very useful for a character. Take the Relic Blade. Always.

I say this presuming you are taking the Santic Halo since it is totally amazing. Totes.

Edited by Captain Idaho

I do have a relic blade going spare from a vanguard box set so that's decided then, average of 2 damage per wound scored is pretty decent.

Now I just need to decide on his ranged weapon. Will it be plasma pistol or something a little larger?

I'll try to get some pics when he's done.

Storm Bolters make nice, cheap firepower for characters. Master-crafted Boltguns are also good, as AP-1, 2D is great, particularly on BS2+/rr1s platforms.

Also, I'm quite an advocate for keeping characters nice and, relatively, cheap. While Relic Blades are certainly good, a Power Axe or Sword costs so much less. Axes particularly, as S6 doesn't help immensely against MEQs; while AP-3 vs -2 means literally half as many saves for 3+ (6+ vs 5+) it's still pumping up their cost substantially (an Axe is roughly 7% of the cost of a Captain, a Relic Blade is roughly 29% of the cost of the Captain!); and the damage increase from Axe/Sword to Relic Blade is definitely great, it's still often irrelevant vs elite infantry, and a d3 cannot be relied upon to happily carve through heavier (read: 3W) models.

A Captain with Axe/Storm Bolter costs 79pts; Relic Blade jumps that up to 95pts. Maybe it's just be, but the Axe feels nicer when your Captain finds he doesn't want to move forward in a given game, but still has perfectly reasonable punch if/when melee comes his way.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Don't worry too much about finding a sword for a Relic Blade as axes look perfectly good as one. ;)

There is something to be said about cheap and cheerful on a backfield, shooting character. In that case get a power axe.

If you have the Relic spare the Teeth of Terra is best though.