Spaz's Raptors

Spaz

Thanks everybody for all the compliments! I really appreciate them. The heads are a mix from a few different kits, I believe the Sternguard, assault marine, and vanguard veterans sets. I altered some by cutting off the service studs and had to cut down the neck on all of them to achieve a proper fit.

@thewarriorhunter- Thanks! It just felt wrong to not have their faces camoed. The tiger stripe is super easy, it’s just a green glaze applied after finishing the face as normal.

@Brother Quixote- Thank you! I just painted them with the base color and then stippled the highlight color in some areas to add texture. Finally I highlight where I normally would in a feathered? Manner. Hope that helps.

• 6 months later...

It's been a while since I've updated this thread and figured its long overdue. Slowly chipping away at the collection.

Scout squad number 1:
med_gallery_100599_14015_200368.jpg

Scout squad number 2 (this Pic came out kinda bad, my apologies):

med_gallery_100599_14015_172696.jpg

Leviathan Dreadnought:

med_gallery_100599_14015_1131105.jpg

And finally a foot slogging Chaplin:

med_gallery_100599_14015_269032.jpg

That's all for now, life's been a little crazy but that's the only way to live.

Thanks for looking.

Thanks for all positivity guys. I’ll try and update this thread more often. Life’s been... life. Lol

@thewarriorhunter- It’s from fallout hobbies, saved me a ton of time.

@Cordova- Too many skulls to not have one.

@Johanhgg- Unfortunalty I haven’t, and I’ve resigned to just staying in my dungeon, painting. Lol. My time is also becoming more scarce, so...

camo-effect?

Camouflage should not be in a regular and recognizable pattern. The human eye is naturally drawn to patterns, meaning the hexagons will make the Leviathan easily seen.

Now, if you argue the hexagons are physical components of an archeotech device, like the "hex snakeskin" in the titular car from Viper, I'm willing to believe that, but the artist should paint the hexagons in different shades to highlight the mystery. (I initially thought the hexagons were part of a "structural integrity field" or energy shield generator, but if that were the case, the hexagonal grid should be brightly colored, to emphasize the energy the archeotech device outputs as it performs its duty of protecting the interred Raptors hero.)

I dunno Bjorn, as you know, the idea is to break up the sillouette of the subject. Think about the paterns navy ships use on the water.

A more popular version is to blend in with the surrounding environment.

I mean, can a dreadnought really blend in?

@Bjorn Firewalker- It’s simply to break up the pattern or silhouette. Black was used as brown or a different shade of green blended in too much.

Pretty much what @InquisitorDracos @thewarriorhunter and @RaceBannon said.

Neat tank pic.

Ok, that's neat :yes:

Yet, sort of not what I was suggesting because of a tall walking thick block of robot compared to a buried low-profile brick with a stick.

You know, apples to kittens :P

Regardless, it is following the greatest rule: that of cool ^_^

@Johanhgg- They do. Just ensure the stencil edges have no gaps or air bubbles (they have a light adhesive on the back) and keep your paint a little thicker than normal, not globby but not runny. A little bleedthrough can happen, also be careful about applying a very think coat of paint, the stencil may take some with it. I’ve been playing around with some without the use of an airbrush, it works.

Archived