What to buy from FW?

Grim Dog Studios

Apologies if this isn't really the correct section of the forum, but I thought I'd rather seek the advice of my Ultramarine brothers as seen as you play the same army. 

Me and my friends are visiting Warhammer World this weekend and I'm looking at spending some ££ at the FW store, but I'm not entirely sure what to get that fills any gaps in my currently small collection. I've so far only played a few games of 8th (never played before despite being in the hobby for 15 years), so don't have a real gist of my army fully yet. My group plays Power Level, normally at 100 PL but we have plans of playing up to 150 PL on the odd occasion.

This is what my current collection stands at (mostly built but not all):

Captain

Two Lieutenants (one with JP)

Chaplain

Librarian

Apothecary

2 x 10 Man Sternguard Squads (One with two plasma guns, the other two heavy bolters)

5 Cataphractii Terminators

Contemptor Dreadnought with Kheres assault cannon

3 x 10 man tac squads, ML and plasma guns and combiplas + power sword on sergeants

Regular Landraider

2 x Rhinos

Sicaran Battle Tank

My current plan was to buy either a Leviathan Dreadnought or a Sicaran Venator, as my price range I'm willing to spend is about £80. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I don't want to spend £80 on something I end up not using very often!

Many thanks,

Jay

Edited by Centurion Jay

Many thanks for all the replies and suggestions all!

Seems like the Leviathan wins it, now to just decide on what weapon options I'd like to start with. Going to magnetize him and eventually get them all but only going to start out with two.

How about a Chaplain Dreadnought?

Whilst the rules for him are pretty good, I'm just not a massive fan of the boxnaught. I suppose if I do end up wanting one down the line and could convert a Chaplain Contemptor.

consider the fire raptor too. Its very good against ínfantry and rhino-based vehicles

Little bit pricier than what I'm wanting to spend, and I've heard the raptor and storm eagle are absolute pains to put together. Don't think my hobby skills are up to that yet haha!

Kheres-equipped Contemptor Mortis Dreadnoughts are quite nasty too. Also twin assault cannon turrets for Razorbacks if you really like assault cannons.

Second the twin Kheres Contemptor, but I would suggest just getting the LRC Sprue for the Razorback turrets.  Unless you really like FW turret look.

Second the twin Kheres Contemptor, but I would suggest just getting the LRC Sprue for the Razorback turrets.  Unless you really like FW turret look.

If you can, absolutely. When I was looking very recently it was cheaper to buy Forgeworld rather than the Land Raider Crusader turrets, given ridiculous eBay/bitz site pricing.

I suggest getting the forgeplanet twin assault cannons. I think they look way better and more "realistic" than GW and FW, with the ammo feed underneath and no barrel guide bar reaching the muzzle (real life gatlings don't have that).

I tried two of them for my Razorbacks. very happy with them, good cast, and relatively fast delivery (5-6 days from Poland to Sweden):

http://store.forgeplanet.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=60_69_81&product_id=52

Edited by Imren

I suggest getting the forgeplanet twin assault cannons. I think they look way better and more "realistic" than GW and FW, with the ammo feed underneath and no barrel guide bar reaching the muzzle (real life gatlings don't have that).

I tried two of them for my Razorbacks. very happy with them, good cast, and relatively fast delivery (5-6 days from Poland to Sweden):

http://store.forgeplanet.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=60_69_81&product_id=52

Sorry for off-topic, but in terms of ballistics, what would be effect of the guiding barrel-extension on the assault cannons when compared to the ones used in contemporary military?

Kheres-equipped Contemptor Mortis Dreadnoughts are quite nasty too. Also twin assault cannon turrets for Razorbacks if you really like assault cannons.

I do have plans to get the Kheres contemptor at some point, wanted for one for a while!

Didn't end up going to warhammer world in the end, so I instead ordered the Leviathan from the FW online store!

Second the twin Kheres Contemptor, but I would suggest just getting the LRC Sprue for the Razorback turrets. Unless you really like FW turret look.

If you can, absolutely. When I was looking very recently it was cheaper to buy Forgeworld rather than the Land Raider Crusader turrets, given ridiculous eBay/bitz site pricing.

It is one of the sprues that GW sells direct still, so I took that option and had it shipped to my local GW. Was cheaper than FW, at least here in the States.

It is one of the sprues that GW sells direct still, so I took that option and had it shipped to my local GW. Was cheaper than FW, at least here in the States.

Yeah, You can get almost four and a half sprues paying the US price ($19.75 USD each) for what you pay converted from NZD here in New Zealand (converts to $28 USD each!) which makes Forgeworld versions of units often about the same price, or sometimes a cheaper alternative to buying Games Workshop plastic!