black library books on audible

hummus

didnt know if people were aware but some audio books are available on audible now

could be quite a saving on the heresy books

Indeed. I was always curious to the model of distribution then 3rd party service (in this case audible) provide same titles but cheaper than the main provider.

All the titles are indeed cheaper than at blacklibrary.com

Only if you're already subscribed. Otherwise it is 35€, or 30 pounds, regardless of length on almost everything. Pretty ludicrous when you consider that The Beast Arises clocks in at half the runtime as most other novels.

It is the Audible subscriber discounts that really make a difference.

Only if you're already subscribed. Otherwise it is 35€, or 30 pounds, regardless of length on almost everything. Pretty ludicrous when you consider that The Beast Arises clocks in at half the runtime as most other novels.

Honestly DC, it's only thanks to you and Punishing Pete almost spelling it out in Black & White in the other Audio Book thread that made me realise i can save myself a boat load of cash via Audible! After i re-purchased Helsreach @ £2.99 the other day i then signed up to their £7.99 subscription service... 1 free book a month... no strings attached... and the first months subscription is free??? Yes sir, I'm all over that!!

Honestly DC, it's only thanks to you and Punishing Pete almost spelling it out in Black & White in the other Audio Book thread that made me realise i can save myself a boat load of cash via Audible! After i re-purchased Helsreach @ £2.99 the other day i then signed up to their £7.99 subscription service... 1 free book a month... no strings attached... and the first months subscription is free??? Yes sir, I'm all over that!!

which seems a mile better than the price range at BL main site. Subscription plan seems to apply a very economy options to your wallet.

I'm really salty that the Helsreach deal was seemingly UK exclusive. The German store didn't have it, but I'd have jumped on it (especially after that cool Helsreach animated series that's been showing up on Youtube lately).

There's really no downside to staying subscribed either, since credits just pile up until you spend them (though you'd have to spend them if you decide to cancel (not pause) your sub for good. I've been keeping a credit ready for months earlier this year, waiting for Legend of the Galactic Heroes 4.... which then didn't get an audiobook because of unimpressive sales. Yup, still annoyed about that.

And then there's the matter of getting everything else at a deep discount while actively subscribed, and being able to get audiobooks even cheaper if you buy the ebook version for Kindle (and the two are properly linked by the publisher). Great bang for your buck.

I'm really salty that the Helsreach deal was seemingly UK exclusive. The German store didn't have it, but I'd have jumped on it (especially after that cool Helsreach animated series that's been showing up on Youtube lately).

There's really no downside to staying subscribed either, since credits just pile up until you spend them (though you'd have to spend them if you decide to cancel (not pause) your sub for good. I've been keeping a credit ready for months earlier this year, waiting for Legend of the Galactic Heroes 4.... which then didn't get an audiobook because of unimpressive sales. Yup, still annoyed about that.

And then there's the matter of getting everything else at a deep discount while actively subscribed, and being able to get audiobooks even cheaper if you buy the ebook version for Kindle (and the two are properly linked by the publisher). Great bang for your buck.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm just wondering how everyone who's been signing up to Audible is getting on with their new purchases / freebies?

I have been a little surprised with the sound quality of the audiobooks. Audible specific codecs / drm aside the actual quality sounds very tinny / hallow and appears to top out at 64kbps. That is shockingly low quality compared to purchasing directly from BL who's mp3's sound warm and enjoy bit rates between 192 & 320kbps. It's a blessing that none of BL's Audio Drama's have been added to Audble yet as they would truly suffer from such a drastic drop in quality to near dual mono levels!

Audio is my primary consumption method for all things 30 > 40k due to a busy work schedule and having 2 kids (& a bossy wife :whistling:) to look after! I am really considering going back to purchasing directly from BL again where a CD set is not available via on-line stores such as Amazon, Goblin Gaming or Element Games etc as my enjoyment of Dante was marred by the reduced quality.

Has anyone else noticed this and if so how did it affect your listening experience?

Edited by JH79

I'm just wondering how everyone who's been signing up to Audible is getting on with their new purchases / freebies?

I have been a little surprised with the sound quality of the audiobooks. Audible specific codecs / drm aside the actual quality sounds very tinny / hallow and appears to top out at 64kbps. That is shockingly low quality compared to purchasing directly from BL who's mp3's sound warm and enjoy bit rates between 192 & 320kbps. It's a blessing that none of BL's Audio Drama's have been added to Audble yet as they would truly suffer from such a drastic drop in quality to near dual mono levels!

Audio is my primary consumption method for all things 30 > 40k due to a busy work schedule and having 2 kids (& a bossy wife :whistling:) to look after! I am really considering going back to purchasing directly from BL again where a CD set is not available via on-line stores such as Amazon, Goblin Gaming or Element Games etc as my enjoyment of Dante was marred by the reduced quality.

Has anyone else noticed this and if so how did it affect your listening experience?

I've not, at all.

Currently listening to Shattered Legions off Audible. I listened through Helsreach off Audible the week before last, and the week before that ploughed through The Binary Succession (AMAZING, go get it now if you haven't), Dark Compliance and The Eye of Night (both very good) off of CDs.

I didn't notice any difference at all in sound quality. (Though as a non musical person, I'm also sceptical [read: cynical and curmudgeonly] about people's ability to tell the difference in sound quality.)

Currently listening to Shattered Legions off Audible. I listened through Helsreach off Audible the week before last, and the week before that ploughed through The Binary Succession (AMAZING, go get it now if you haven't), Dark Compliance and The Eye of Night (both very good) off of CDs.

I didn't notice any difference at all in sound quality. (Though as a non musical person, I'm also sceptical [read: cynical and curmudgeonly] about people's ability to tell the difference in sound quality.)

Interesting. It could be something to do with my conversion of the Audible audio file to chapterised MP3's. I manage everything through iTunes and like to ensure all of the editable book data is as consistant as possible... i then also name each of the chapters with the corrisponding Part and Subtitle Headings. I listen via either my iPod Classic (Full Library) or iPhone (selected easy listen titles for on the go 40k goodness!).

I've not tried actually listening through the audible site of the 3 titles i own through it but the preview clips i spot checked of other titles i already own sound so very down sampled. The Talon of Horus is deep and warm from BL wile the same clip on Audible is less so and much flatter. I must just be a bit of a fussy :censored:  lol :happy.:

I do have Binary Succession and yeah, it's absolutely amazing! I'd say for me it's possibly the best AudioDrama release of the year from BL in terms of both story and production, though I've not got Eye of Night or Blackshields yet. Dark Compliance was great, but seemed to be lacking something to warrant easy repeat listens. Hopefully it'll grow on me as i generally love most of everything that John French touches! In fact i'll try it again now, anything to distract from a morning of spreadsheet monotony!

Oddly, Audible.com usually sticks with 64kbps audio. I'd guess this is a holdover from the old days of very bad recordings being converted to digital and an attempt to keep filesizes low, because "it doesn't matter if it is only speech".

On Audible.de, on German audiobooks, you usually get 128kbps versions. It would probably be possible for BL to supply higher-quality encodes but I doubt they'll bother going beyond the audible standard for audiobooks. Now, if they ever start putting audio dramas on there... it'd need to be a given. There's just too much going on in those to get by with a mere 64kbps.

The main thing that has changed since BL became part of audible is the length of my wish list! Can’t say audio quality has annoyed me, im probably not too fussy and my headphones aren’t the most expensive. Couple of days to go and Fabius Bile will be mine, I think unless I change my mind.....

One thing was slightly annoying, in Helsreach the double quotes from the princeps was silly and gratingsa nd in black legion the ‘you speak irrelevancies’ was even more annoying. But these are probably just converting text to audio issues.

I'm still waiting along with everyone in the US to have Amazon USA be able to sell kindle versions of BL books. It was supposed to start the beginning of this year and it still isn't available.