Post Dark Imperium books

They will have to commit to something soon. Can you imagine five years from now STILL reading about oldmarines being wary of the Primaris

Personally I'm already done with that, though I respect the fact a lot of people want to read about it. 

There's a weird disconnect because this is a transitory period. Some of the fandom are still locked in the idea that the Gathering Storm is 'current', and others wrongly believe we're in M42. I'm sure there'll be releases over the next 12 months that sort out exactly where we are in 8th Edition. 

I'm about a century or so past the birth of the Great Rift, so the Dark Imperium is essentially post-apocalyptic 40K and the other half is the same as ever; Primaris Marines are just a type of Space Marine that doesn't need remarking on every five minutes; Guilliman being around is old news if you believe it's true and ignorable/mythological nonsense if you don't; and an entire generation or two of humanity has lived and died with the Great Rift in the sky. It's normal to them. It's just the way things are, and they have their own rituals and superstitions about it.

I like that, and I think that people expecting great explanations of how things came about shouldn't be too hopeful anyway. The setting isn't about exact historical accuracy and facts. Primaris were created by one of the Emperor's direct assistants over a long period and that's all there is to it.

One thing I'd like is for new characters and an expanded range of models however. It's been a year now lol

They will have to commit to something soon. Can you imagine five years from now STILL reading about oldmarines being wary of the Primaris

Personally I'm already done with that, though I respect the fact a lot of people want to read about it.

There's a weird disconnect because this is a transitory period. Some of the fandom are still locked in the idea that the Gathering Storm is 'current', and others wrongly believe we're in M42. I'm sure there'll be releases over the next 12 months that sort out exactly where we are in 8th Edition.

I'm about a century or so past the birth of the Great Rift, so the Dark Imperium is essentially post-apocalyptic 40K and the other half is the same as ever; Primaris Marines are just a type of Space Marine that doesn't need remarking on every five minutes; Guilliman being around is old news if you believe it's true and ignorable/mythological nonsense if you don't; and an entire generation or two of humanity has lived and died with the Great Rift in the sky. It's normal to them. It's just the way things are, and they have their own rituals and superstitions about it.

Emperor’s Legion has Badab and Gathering Storm running concurrently. Like, you actually know Chris and speak to him, so I’m sure you knew that, but it was news to me when I was going through trying to find hard dates.

*Sigh* Managed to calm down a little. I had a stressful week, sorry about that one.

And while that is you prerogative, A D-B, it's kinda clear that this also isn't a unified trend amongst writers. Take Dark Imperium, for example: Entire parts of that book are written as if the events in question just happened, rather than portraying them as something that took place more than century ago.

There seems to be disconnect between authors regarding whatever the novels after Gathering Storm should portray the new status quo, or is the new status quo still forming and we are still in the transnational period. The fact that books that take place during, or directly after it are published at the same time as the ones that take place century after it doesn't help the matter in the slightest.

And then there is the stuff like Devastation of Baal and Codex: Blood Angels being in direct contradiction to one another, while being published, what, a month apart? I cannot, in good concience, say that this has been handled well. This new period of 40k history seems to be plagued by the same mistakes that HH is plagued by: Individual novels and new fluff can be considered good in a vacuum, but when taken all together there appear to be holes in editorial oversight in editorial management, leading to the impression of putting the cart before the horses: Being more concerned with individual works, rather than the greater whole that is made of those individual works.

I might be overtly harsh on it, because some works push ideas I really don't like, to put it bluntly, but I don't let that colour my assessment of things.

Also, I find the transnational period to be infinitely more interesting then watching the already formed new status quo, but that is a matter of personal preference. I will say this: I find it similar to what I consider the greatest mistake GW has ever made when it comes to Black Library fiction, which was writing Horus Heresy before showing the Great Crusade. I would much prefer slower pace, and proper foundations.

Oh, and I would like more nuance, more complex morality rather than an ambiguous one, and a pony, if we are on my wish-list.

*Sigh* Managed to calm down a little. I had a stressful week, sorry about that one.

And while that is you prerogative, A D-B, it's kinda clear that this also isn't a unified trend amongst writers. Take Dark Imperium, for example: Entire parts of that book are written as if the events in question just happened, rather than portraying them as something that took place more than century ago.

There seems to be disconnect between authors regarding whatever the novels after Gathering Storm should portray the new status quo, or is the new status quo still forming and we are still in the transnational period. The fact that books that take place during, or directly after it are published at the same time as the ones that take place century after it doesn't help the matter in the slightest.

No, no. That's not what I mean. Those novels are about the transition period. Dark Imperium, especially.

I'm talking about what I suspect will be the score going forward. Novels take a long time to write (unless you're Guy Haley) so we're not seeing them yet, but in terms of the overall setting, it's roughly a century past that transition period.

Emperor’s Legion has Badab and Gathering Storm running concurrently. Like, you actually know Chris and speak to him, so I’m sure you knew that, but it was news to me when I was going through trying to find hard dates.

Hard dates have always been nonsense in 40K. Like, using them has always been against the function of the setting, but they were an acceptable evil for player-facing convenience at times. I wouldn't be shocked to see them finally done with now the setting is taking into account how the galaxy actually works.

I was down on some of the new lore, up on a lot of it, but regardless of emotional investment or preference, finally doing time right in the setting is objectively evocative and accurate.

...and confusing!

No, no. That's not what I mean. Those novels are about the transition period. Dark Imperium, especially.

I'm talking about what I suspect will be the score going forward. Novels take a long time to write (unless you're Guy Haley) so we're not seeing them yet, but in terms of the overall setting, it's roughly a century past that transition period.

Then I misunderstood you, I apologise.

Tell me this though, if you can: is there an actual plan to reconcile BL portrayal of Primaris as superior replacements to the original Astartes, and studios stance on both types still being created at the same time? Because that is the most glaring discrepancy by far when it comes to them, my personal annoyance at the manner in which they seemingly off-handedly solve a major plot thread of my favourite chapter notwithstanding.

Simple yes or no would suffice.

Hard dates have always been nonsense in 40K. Like, using them has always been against the function of the setting, but they were an acceptable evil for player-facing convenience at times. I wouldn't be shocked to see them finally done with now the setting is taking into account how the galaxy actually works.

I was down on some of the new lore, up on a lot of it, but regardless of emotional investment or preference, finally doing time right in the setting is objectively evocative and accurate.

...and confusing!

I don’t understand what you mean

I'm hoping for more books set in...

Cusp of GS

GS

early Indomitus

Mid-Indomitus

Late Indomitus

Post-Indomitus/Dark Imperium

I think everyone wins if authours have flexibility to write about the time-setting most appealing to them.

What say you fellas?

To be honest I'd prefer more books to be set in the most "current" time period as it doesn't feel as well established as it could be yet.

ADB mentioned that things like the great rift are now a normal thing that people have lived with for their entire lives, but that's not as clear at the moment.

We've had books that take place during gathering storm, but I wouldn't mind a few additional stories about the Indomnitus Crusade.

Well the Great Rift is “normal” in the sense that it’s been around for 200 years and that’s longer than normal human lifetimes.

I’m also hoping for more novels around key events through the whole timeline. Fleshing out from just prior to the GS through to the “new now” would be good.

Still hoping for a Fall of Cadia and beyond novel dealing primarily with Abaddon, personally. We got Cadia Stands, but it doesn't deal with the Black Legion as much as you might think. A proper novel of the events involving the Rise of the Primarch, before Guilliman comes to Terra, would be appreciated too, especially since it could "fix" a bunch of the issues people bring up about it all the time.

Well the Great Rift is “normal” in the sense that it’s been around for 200 years and that’s longer than normal human lifetimes.

I’m also hoping for more novels around key events through the whole timeline. Fleshing out from just prior to the GS through to the “new now” would be good.

I think it’s 100 years.

I'd love to have a novel about an entire Primaris chapter working along a "No way Primaris for us" chapter, set within the Indomitus Crusade.

All the induction stuff aside, I'd rather see something like this. A chapter, consisting of "newbies" compared to the "older and more experienced" chapters, trying to find their place among all those hardliners and vets. One that has to find its own way/ place. What are they? "Just" a successor chapter? Do they see superior yet they are indeed inexperienced and thus inferior? Do they give a crap about their heritage and go their very own way?

Just one interesting example would be enough for me as both, source of inspiration and diversity.

And a novel dealing with the 13th Black Crusade. I mean, it was THE most anticipated assault of all time, yet there's not much to it. What of Abaddon? He was destined to march towards Terra after the Fall of Cadia. Now, 100 years later, what are they doing?

Surely every faction will get a post GS novel to show the current state of play for all humans and Xeno’s.

That’s what I’m hoping for. Like what do the Orks make of it. Has ghazkull gone full beast mode yet, what are the crying Eldar saying about their end times dance (rhandra dandra?) do the ethereals have a plan? Etc etc

I can't wait for the Tau encounter with Guilliman. The Tau are tactically great and I'd love to see them out-maneuvered by a force led directly by the Primarch.

For me the roll out of the new time setting has been a massive let down, Dark Imperium did not cut it, they needed to either have 4-6 novels drop in rapid succession to explore the new setting from various pov ( as in races/factions) and at minimum 1 proper sourcebook. 

Saying half the high lord have been replaced, the navy has been restructured and all the existing rules for half a dozen major organisations DOESNT HELP me.  Why start a new sisters of battle army if i have no idea how the church has been changed/views events/is reacting/ etc.  Are the orders even the shame? Are their new ones?

Why do a new imperial guard regiment if the shadow of massive changes to them because of Guiliman or Imperium Nihilus etc is ever hanging over me. 

I am not asking for a blow by blow account for every chapter/faction. But a wide top to bottom overview of where things are, a foundation they can then expand and evolve but which gives players a sliver of safe ground to work on.  Warhammer is about more then Space Marines, no matter how much BL and GW at times forget it. 

I mean its been HOW long? And we still have no real idea how the Mechanicus is handling the absolute INSANE amounts of tech heresy being conducted in this new age.  Saying oh there is a novel being work on that will look at this 3-5 years after the change hits means nothing to me.  A basic overview either thru multiple books ( like a beast arises series) in the first year, or actual sourcebook was needed and they in my view fluffed it. 

ADB and some other authors keep saying its been x amount of years in universe so its old news, i reply what news? We know practically NOTHING about that time period, and you want to explore what happens after? After what? I dont know and i have read pretty much every post gathering storm book there is.  There is a difference between not giving away too much and not giving away ANYTHING.  Rushed and poorly planned out. With the usual amount of overall control and planning BL and GW cannon is know for  unfortunately. 

Yes but all the information on the setting didn't come from one book, and it won't be updated in one book.

2/3 years from now everything will be a lot more detailed.

Until a recent book we didn't even know who the high Lords are, in fairness. Some people we know nothing about were replaced by some people we know nothing about lol

Hold up. If RG spoke with the Emperor, and Cawl has his blessing, as far as the Mechanicus is concerned all the new stuff is by the will of the Omnissiah himself, and anything short of complete acceptance is Heresy?

As some other people, i too, have the feeling that the Gathering Storm and the Dark Imperium events and the books describing them have been rushed, most notably because of the commercial push that GW enforced on the Primaris line.

In some way, it wouldn't surprise me, if some books were offered some kind of "side-stories" to explain several holes in the main story.

To argument my point of view, i will pick as a main Blood Angels reader, the Devastation of Baal that is set up in the Gathering Storm events mostly, with an ending in the Dark Imperium. Recently i came to re-read both Dante and Devastation of Baal, and quickly, i found several proof of a lack of time in the writing of Devastation of Baal.

The most notable of it, was the lack of Allies from the whole Imperium. Quid of the Imperial Navy, the Astral Militarum, the Adepta Sororitas, the Imperial Knights...etc (I don't think of the Mechanicus, since they are not on good terms with the Blood Angels themselves, yet desperate time calling for desperate measure, i could have easily imagined the Blood Angels Techmarines trading the Baal Predator STC for help...thus ending a millenia old grudge). On this aspect i think that the events of the Devastation of Baal should have required two books instead of one, thus making Dante the first book of a Trilogy.

When looking at the Gathering Storm as a whole, i believe that the whole settings could or should have been done like the Beast Arises serie, with 12 Books. But also that this serie of Books should have been released in 2019-2020, thus giving time for writers to think about the Gathering Storm and the Dark Imperium events.

Yes but all the information on the setting didn't come from one book, and it won't be updated in one book.

2/3 years from now everything will be a lot more detailed.

Until a recent book we didn't even know who the high Lords are, in fairness. Some people we know nothing about were replaced by some people we know nothing about lol

So what 4-5 years after the setting came out? Sure glad you are willing to wait half a decade to get the basic info but i am not.  And dont compare the dark imperium setting to the entirety of 40k, there are not the same. GW pulled a 100 year time jump, they should not need 5% of that in real world years to give us the basic info. Otherwise why bother time jumping? ( well to sell space marines +1 yes i know). 

A sourcebook or a series of novels would not have been that hard to produce or make for what they billed as the future of the setting. 

As per high lords if you did not know what the high lords were till recently that is fine, but they are neither a new revelation in the background or their role in the imperium. In fact their nature and infighting is a core staple of how and why the imperium is the way it is. Having a outside figure strike at the very heart of imperial power in a aggressive and power gathering way and hand-waving it is nothing short of insane.  Heck the beast arises shows us exactly how many of the high lords would react to this sort of situation .

Hold up. If RG spoke with the Emperor, and Cawl has his blessing, as far as the Mechanicus is concerned all the new stuff is by the will of the Omnissiah himself, and anything short of complete acceptance is Heresy?

Yeah i can see it now, hey martians my dad telepathically told me that your entire religion is wrong, the treaty of olympus is invalid and you all work for me now. Anyone who disagrees is also a heretec.  Brilliant stuff, especially considering the mechanicus long and storied history of respecting imperial figures of authority and power, in addition to their open minded nature to their religion. 

Also i dont think we know what the E told RG, and considering RG thinks the primaris are cawls bastards i dont see where this image of ANYONE blessing the project in its current form comes from. 

This is not to say they cant explain it away, or better yet make a compelling and fun story of all of this. Simply that it needed to be done yesterday, not in x amount of YEARS.

Archived