Lone wolf Astartes

b1soul

Are there any stories about an Astartes who is not a member of a chapter, warband, etc.?

I guess what I'm thinking of is...an Asartes who lives/operates as a private individual. Maybe he doesn't want to fight and lives alone on a frontier world or he hires himself out as a mercenary to shady traders or smugglers. Surely some Asartes have abandoned their organisations/gone AWOL in the past?

I'm not sure whether Khârn qualifies or maybe some Alpha Legionionaries who have essentially become solo operators after extended non-contact with other AL?

EDIT:

I recall some Black Shields built their own mini-empire...but for all intents and purposes, they could be viewed as a renegade warband. I'm thinking of truly lone wolf Asartes or Astartes who live more unconventionally

Edited by b1soul

Karnulon in Daemon World is an ex-Word Bearer, but he isn't really portrayed as an Astartes in the book. Zso Sahaal is also pretty much on his own, doing his own thing in Lord of the Night, but he hasn't renounced his legion. I'm sure there are plenty more, would have to go digging through the old short story anthologies; plenty of quirkiness there.

Edited by Qkhitai

There’s the old lore about Fallen Dark Angels who regret their actions during and after the Horus Heresy, who operate as “masterless men.” Astelan was originally billed as such a warrior in Angels of Darkness, but the Legacy of Caliban series has since recast him as ...

... a sort of mastermind in league with other Fallen and the Death Guard.

There's a couple I can think of there's the alpha legionnaire in Dan Abnett's Pariah, and I think the book is called Atlas Infernal(?!) about an inquisitor, he has a marine apart of his war and too, a lamentor maybe, I'm not too sure, I think his story is his chapter has been labelled excommunicatos and just does his own thing now...

There's a couple I can think of there's the alpha legionnaire in Dan Abnett's Pariah, and I think the book is called Atlas Infernal(?!) about an inquisitor, he has a marine apart of his war and too, a lamentor maybe, I'm not too sure, I think his story is his chapter has been labelled excommunicatos and just does his own thing now...

A Relictor techmarine, yeah. He was off doing his own thing from the rest of his excommunicated chapter. He served another radical inquisitor before Czevak so he had clearly been doing this wandering thing for a while.

Was Teke the Smiling One in Abnett's Pariah a lone wolf kind of guy, dealing with the Glaws, or did he represent a warband/the larger EC legion? I can't recall.

There's a few examples of former Thousand Sons doing this. Sort of makes sense for a sorceror and it's questionable as to whether rubricae really count as 'company'.

- Ahriman: Exile has that eyeless oracle Manukara, so mutated/daemonic that he's not even astartes. He lives on his own as a seer on a daemon world, offering his visions to anyone who visits, cut off from his legion and any warband.

- Ignis from Ahriman: Sorceror was (i think) a solitary wandering siege expert before joining Ahriman's Prodigal Sons. Pretty sure a robot bodyguard doesn't count.

- Chariz Terenoch from The Wonderworker, who set himself up as an exclusive sorcerous weaponsmith on a daemonic ocean world. He has his rubricae bodyguard but they're not a warband and poor conversation anyway. He essentially lives alone until being inducted into the Black Legion by Khayon.