Is anyone else looking forward to the Astraeus Grav Tank?

Ishagu

I agree that the rules will make or break the potential purchase for most people.

I honestly expected it to be priced the same as a Mastodon so I guess that's a positive lol

My wife has already said she will give me forgeworld vouchers for christmas and birthday and ask her family to do the same, should make this a pretty much guarenteed purchase.

have to admit, I feel a bit like a collector with primaris stuff, never had that mindset with anything else GW related before, but feel like "Gotta Catch 'Em All!"

I just don't think the armor is sensible.  Lots of spots that would catch shots, rather than deflect them.  Sloping armor was a 19th Century invention, hopefully the principle behind it hasn't been lost in that time. ;)

At least this tank can move around the battlefield. A Landraider in real life has no ground clearance. A Stormraven isn't aerodynamic etc.

We can't apply full logic to 40k, a certain amount of "It just looks cool" has to be applied.

Even the awesome Fellblade chassis tanks leave their tracks completely exposed at the front which makes no sense.

If it actually “looked cool”, that might be one thing. Unfortunately, it looks ridiculous. The turret is set too far back. The hammerhead prow is counterintuitive on an armored vehicle. I would have to overhaul the entire chassis before I’d comfortable fielding one, and at that point what would be the point?

It’s an aesthetic garbage pile. Hope the rules are at least OP, because if not, that fugly thing isn’t selling.

SJ

If it actually “looked cool”, that might be one thing. Unfortunately, it looks ridiculous. The turret is set too far back. The hammerhead prow is counterintuitive on an armored vehicle. I would have to overhaul the entire chassis before I’d comfortable fielding one, and at that point what would be the point?

It’s an aesthetic garbage pile. Hope the rules are at least OP, because if not, that fugly thing isn’t selling.

SJ

To be fair, I've heard more positive than negative feedback on the looks. If you dislike, that's perfectly fine. But I do thing it will sell quite alright. I also hope it will, which means we might see more Primaris FW toys in the future.

I can’t do it, I was back and forth for a while. From certain angles it looks outstanding, from others utterly attrocious. It just isn’ta good feel for me. I will just have to stay with a “Relic Hunters” vibe with my guys.

• 2 weeks later...

Now that I've heard the dimensions, I can't imagine ever playing it on a normal tabletop.  It's bigger than most static terrain or even a Knight Titan.  If it were any larger, games could be played on it.

At least this tank can move around the battlefield. A Landraider in real life has no ground clearance. A Stormraven isn't aerodynamic etc.

We can't apply full logic to 40k, a certain amount of "It just looks cool" has to be applied.

Even the awesome Fellblade chassis tanks leave their tracks completely exposed at the front which makes no sense.

40k aircraft don't need to be aerodynamic because they're all basically Scrams. They fly as fast as F-22's right on top of the ocean level. In atmosphere they'd be zipping around like Doomrider after pilfering Walter White's depot.

Now that I've heard the dimensions, I can't imagine ever playing it on a normal tabletop. It's bigger than most static terrain or even a Knight Titan. If it were any larger, games could be played on it.

It's not that big lol

I expect it to be big. It's not there to zoom around the table.

I'm sure it can't - because any table that leaves that much open space with no terrain might as well be just a tank-only battle anyhow. :)

It ignores terrain while moving. It cannot physically occupy the same table space as a building or a ruin.  We're not talking rules here, I'm talking physical volume.  It's scale creep taken to the absurd.

It's no different to any other super heavy and has absolutely nothing to do with scale creep. To use your word... don't be absurd. It will be usable in as many situations as any other super heavy with the exception of nights who have a smaller foot print but the extra height.

I've also not seen a game where something like doesn't just result in moving the terrain.

Archived