Things you got wrong in 8th edition.

Ok time to fess up about all the stupid ideas I had about 8th.  Im 25 games in and I think I need to confess my sins/errors so far.

1.  I thought drop pods were going to be great.  When GW was profiling the new rules for 8th i thought drop pods would be terrific because of the lack of scatter and not needing to roll.  I was dead wrong.  Deep strike denying and the points cost make pods pretty bad.  Maybe not vespid bad.. but bad.  

2. I thought 10 man squads would be a no brainer for space marines.  Ok so I had this thought when the indexes came out.  I figured marines would be somewhat durable in cover with a 2+ and that mitigating morale would be easy, just use the stratagem bypass it.  I also thought that infantry was a more efficient platform for special and heavy weapons.  I was wrong about the 10(mostly) for a couple of reasons.  Firstly, I didnt anticipate how good razorbacks were going to be and since they only hold 6 guys you cant really play razorbacks with 10 man squads.  Secondly,  with the possibility of turn 1 charges, you kind of want to be spreading out and keeping potential losses to a minimum.  If you have 200 point squads sitting around they just get blasted or ripped to pieces with ease.  Big squads might work in certain marines lists but for the most part MSU is still better. 

3. I thought scout bikers got nerfed!  So I've been writing bad poetry on this forum about scout bikers recently but when i first looked at their index profile I was not that impressed.  They lost all the utility they had such as teleport homers and melta bombs.  I didnt quite understand how good their shooting is.  Being a new player I'm still in that phase where you want to put every last bit of bling into every squad so anything without tons of options doesnt register immediately for me.  

4.  I thought terminators would be good.  Turns out they cant weather any shooting.  5 assault terminators costs 260 points and would get totally messed up by plasma scions, double plasma tacticals, devs with grav,plasma, assault cannons, lascannons LOL, or just volume of fire from whatever.  Furthermore, they arent good against much.  2 attacks hitting on 4s is not good against anything but heavy stuff.  That means 5 assault terminators cannot reliably kill a 10 man tac squad per turn without reroll support which increases the points to make them work.  

Ok im done being wrong for now.  Who else was wrong?

Haha good initiative man ! :D Fun stories so far !

On my side :

1) I thought vehicles would be more resilient. Guess again. Multiple damages and potshot wounds are very strong. Fliers losing snapshots is a big hit (pun intended)

2) I thought infantry would be less resilient, but the changes to AP actually make marines very worth it!

3) I thought a combined arms approach was going to be effective, it's turn into a more statistical game. Not angry about it, it's just different.

4) I thought Venerable Dreads would suck, guess again.

5) I thought I would use this opportunity to make more friends...

And then I come up with 1000 points lists with 20 Marines and 2 Stormravens :D

1) 7th edition armies don't translate to 8th edition at all. I've yet to figure out how to include my 1850 7th edition list as an effective 8th edition force.

2) Vehicles in the codex being worth their inflated costs. This is something I am still having difficulty reconciling. Though, some of the Forge World vehicles actually seem to work fairly well for me so far.

3) playing a marine army without Gulliman. With each new codex, not being an Ultramarine player feels more and more like a punishment rather than a reward for individuality.

4) Thinking 8th edition rules might work. I know, I've spouted that the rules suck since GW started talking about them, but I am still to find any real fun with this ruleset, which is somewhat depressing...

1) 7th edition armies don't translate to 8th edition at all. I've yet to figure out how to include my 1850 7th edition list as an effective 8th edition force.

2) Vehicles in the codex being worth their inflated costs. This is something I am still having difficulty reconciling. Though, some of the Forge World vehicles actually seem to work fairly well for me so far.

3) playing a marine army without Gulliman. With each new codex, not being an Ultramarine player feels more and more like a punishment rather than a reward for individuality.

4) Thinking 8th edition rules might work. I know, I've spouted that the rules suck since GW started talking about them, but I am still to find any real fun with this ruleset, which is somewhat depressing...

2)  I wouldnt presume to know your experience with vehicles in 8th but I feel they are much better if you have the right vehicles.  Lists with 1 vehicle...however powerful wont be that good since that one vehicle is going to get popped on turn 1 because the opponent wont have anything else worth targetting with their lascannons/melta/plasma/whatever.  Any marine list with 2-4 razorbacks and a couple of dreads is going to be decent.  Even more so if you are smurfs with girlyman.

3) :(  Yeah that does suck somewhat.  But... if you are true to your army then it is a bit liberating.  Ultramarine players probably have a harder time making lists without guilleman than we do not having him at all.

4) Whether or not you think the rules are good.. would you say they are more accessible for new players like me!?

Most of my predictions about 8th have come about pretty much as I thought they would, but the few I had gotten wrong I got way wrong.

1. Orks would be the first Xeno Codex released. (Certainly didn't expect the Eldar first)

2. Psykers would no longer be a focus with individualized powers. (Predicted they'd be better, but less desired by most players)

3. Loss of templates would be a benefit to the system. (I farking hated templates and how any of them worked, but they were more effective than now)

4. Forge World Rules would stay out of 40k for a time. (I wish)

I thought Shrike eliminating overwatch would make him more effective as a CC character. He just dies ​IN CC, instead of on his way there.

Same here with my Captain who uses the RG warlord trait. Four attacks just isn't enough any more against anything but MSU Marines.

I thought Shrike eliminating overwatch would make him more effective as a CC character. He just dies ​IN CC, instead of on his way there. 

This actually made me laugh out loud at my desk just now. Well played sir, well played.

On that note, why the hell does Shrike not have +1 W, +1 Save, and another attack? He's a Chapter Master now, he is priced like one, why not have one's statline?

Give me a break...

Edited by ltvyper

...that pistols can shoot while in CC. In none of the games played so far have I (or my opponent) remembered that even once. Guess that's an implicit gentleman's agreement...

That's a huge one to remember, as it often swings a fight in my experience. Assault Marines that can shoot down an extra Ork or two who's got three attacks is a big deal.

...that pistols can shoot while in CC. In none of the games played so far have I (or my opponent) remembered that even once. Guess that's an implicit gentleman's agreement...

I remembered!  I shot a demon prince in the face with a grav pistol.  He made his save :<

That's a huge one to remember, as it often swings a fight in my experience. Assault Marines that can shoot down an extra Ork or two who's got three attacks is a big deal.

How did your assault marines make it to the next turn against ork boyz?  

I remembered!  I shot a demon prince in the face with a grav pistol.  He made his save :<

There were 10 and only 3 orks left? 

The first game that my buddy and I played of 8th Edition, when he was reading the new Deep Strike rules (for Necron Deathmarks) he thought they could warp around the board (ie: re-deep strike every turn).

I didn't bother to read the rule myself, and I didn't own that Index. Seemed plausible to me, so I went with it.

:facepalm:

There were 10 and only 3 orks left?

I killed enough in my shooting and charge that the rest were blunted and only killed four of my ten man squad.