Brigade? Battalions? What detachments are you using?

NatBrannigan

I've always run a Brigade just because I like how easy it is to fill one with Guard. But how is everyone comprising their army these days?

Pre codex I never got through my Command points, mainly because I'd forget about them. With all the fantastic new Stratagems in the Codex this won't be happening any more but are you getting through 12 in a game? Are you finding the flexibility of a pair of Battalions better than the extra CP's?

Just curious really!

I too think that 2x or 3x smaller detachments are much better than a Brigade now. We have various ways to improve/recover CP, so no need for that +9. The flexibility allowed by different regiments and detachments is both funny and effective, while the Brigade which with the index was silly easy to field is now clumsily rigid since you cannot mix in units with different doctrines.

1 Brigade + 1 Battalion + whatever else I need to fit a particular unit ( if I can, I'll make it a battalion).

I would love to have an expanded Fast attack section.  While the uses of the scout sentinel have been discussed a number of times on this forum, they still seem a bit of a tax. I'll manage with 3, but just can't go spending 300 points on sentinels just for 2 Brigades

For 1k points, I generally have 7-10 cp depends on level of vehicles (at least one battalion)

For 2k points, always a Brigade (I love hellhounds) + usually a scion battalion + maybe a supreme command/ spearhead detatchment

With Harrowmaster. At 1.5k I can run a mean Stormie Batallion and a decent Guard Brigade. Up to 2k let’s me fine tune the heck out of them. I am very proficient at burning Command Points unlike some other more efficient Regimental Commanders here.

At some point I’ll monkey around with multiple Batallions and one or two of those alternative one-point Detachments.

I tend to use a mixture. Brigades and Battalions are my go-to detachments, especially if I'm running one of my infantry armies. 

Which one I use typically depends on whether I want to include Sentinels or not (since they're the only FA choice I own). It used to also depend on whether I wanted to include Commissars or other elite choices (but since I've recently converted 3 Astropaths, lack of Elites is unlikely to be an issue anymore).

Once or twice I've messed around with Vanguard-based detachments (with lots of Veterans and/or SWSs), but otherwise these rarely form the core of my army.

If I'm using a Brigade or Battalions, I might also include the following detachments:
- Supreme Command Detachment (either to squeeze some extra HQs into a brigade or, more recently, to fit some Inquisitors into my army).
- Vanguard or Patrol Detachment (to add a small MT force).
- Auxiliary Detachment (to include an Assassin, though if I'm including the Supreme Command Detachment for Inquisitors, I can put him with them instead).

I'd like to get some Rough Rider conversions or stand-ins so that I can take the Brigade more often (I think they'd fit in better with my infantry armies, as well as keeping them all-infantry).

You can get a battalion in your list for something like 225 points. It's pretty insane not to start there.

Then I fill out a spearhead or vanguard, depending on what I'm trying to achieve.

After that, I look and see if it would all be better as a brigade or if I just need to pad out the rest of the list with the empty slots in the battalion.

If I still have points after that, then I add all my luxuries in whatever manner nets me the most CPs.

Blimey!

So literally every possible combination is used, fat lot of use you lot are! ;)

That's actually good news because clearly GW have got the balance here spot on (and with that a light frost starts to develop in hell!).

The Fast attack slots seem to be the sticker here and I do know what you mean. I'm using 2 5 man (horse) rough rider squads and a single sentinel at the moment. They're fine I guess, do a job most of the time. Sometimes that job seems to be arriving from Outflank, failing a charge and then dying but that's probably more down to command incompetence.

I haven't considered using different Regiments in different detachments yet because all my models are clearly Praetorians, who in turn are clearly Mordians, so I wouldn't feel comfortable using them as anything else! That is a neat idea though.

I try to match my detachments to the regiment most well suited for that detachment's task.

My spearhead detachment consisting of mostly heavy weapon teams is Cadian for the re-rolls with the Take Aim order. My missile launcher squads hit on 4s but re-roll all misses and there are nine of them shooting each turn. It's very effective. This detachment sometimes gets Earthshaker Batteries added to it. They are immobile, so the re-roll on 1s is a really nice addition.

My infantry last time ran as Steel Legion, but I think I will try Vostroyans for them next time. I will bring two tank commanders with punishers in that detachment for the increased range on the punisher cannon. 30" punishers sound really mean, especially when they are hitting on 3s. The infantry getting rapid fire at 15" and 30" total range seems like it will be very effective. My experience has been that infantry in rapid fire range with FRFSRF are incredibly devastating (both to myself when I play Alpha Legion, and to my enemies when I play guard).

My scions either get placed as infantry to fill out another battalion, or are formed into their own battalion. A lot of that depends on what else I want to bring in my list and how many detachments we are limited to in the game. My local group doesn't have a problem bringing more than 3 detachments, but it still feels kind of cheesy sometimes when you show up with 5.

Pre-FAQ I brought a detachment of Tallarn using the two punisher Tank Commanders and a unit of Sentinels to ambush. It's not as potent now that you can only ambush with one vehicle, but putting two Leman Russes and 3 lascannon sentinels behind the enemy really forces them to think about where they want to push their forces. You could still kind of do this by taking a unit of Leman Russes and ambushing with them as a unit, and then two leg squads (Veterans with plasma maybe?).