Running Legion of the Damned in 8th edition

bkde

They're expensive points wise, their weapon options aren't great...buuut they're so cool.

Does anyone have any experience running them in 8th? Thinking of running two small squads (5-7) with a multimelta to drop onto objectives.

I too am interested in the LotD for this edition. I'm guessing it's now a case of a ten man squad, plasma gun and stormbolter & power weapon (of choice), but what heavy weapon? MM will be at -1 to hit, HF will only be useable from the second turn on the table...

I wish they could still take a heavy bolter... My old out of print LOD squad heavy bolter seems to be illegal now.

On whether they are worth the cost, that depends on what you want. A vanguard with a Jump pack, a bolt pistol & storm shield imitates a Legionnaire profile, but for 4 points less cost the Vanguard loses the bolter, the ability to ignore cover, and the special and heavy weapon options (which also ignore cover). Vanguards can take close combat weapons instead and benefit from chapter tactics.

With the comparison above, I think they aren't too bad or over costed. I certainly used them a lot in 7th to delay big units and tank hunt. The biggest detriments are their cost and not getting chapter tactics, so they are probably best for when you want a squad that operates independently.

Edited by Ebon Hand

Welp...somehow I managed to scoop up 20 of them (two full squads, and painted!) so I have two squads, one with HF/flamer, one with MM and flamer...

I really like the idea of running a large-ish squad (7?) with MM and dropping then in a ruin or cover first turn. That 2+/3++ makes them a pain to remove. I also like the idea of a larger squad (again, likely 7) with the flamer/HF. Drop them in around turn 3, or as to act as an emergency reserve. I was planning to run them alongside a Sisters (Celestine/dominions/seraphim force with a knight and assassin as backup)

Something else to use them for is to hold objectives. Also, never underestimate the humble bolter. I've seen them take out Storm Ravens. But I would use them to block choke points, hold objectives and prevent enemy movement. Keep them cheap. Just give them bolters and sit them on objectives or in front of your opponent's assault units. They will last a good long while with even just the 3++. I wouldn't use them for alpha strike anymore as there are better units for that.

Just my opinion. Though a melta or multi-melta wouldn't be a bad addition to them. Just try and keep their points down. Squads of five for objective holding or squads of ten if you plan to block choke points and roadblock with them.