Raising a Regiment - 234th Armageddon Steel Legion

Mordian Glory

Nice looking army you have there. Might even inspire me to make a PLOG of my Steel Legion.

Could you post a picture of a death korp next to a metal steel legion mini so I can see the size disparity??

Cheers!

PL

I dont have any pictures right now, but I can take some and upload them later :) I can tell you though that they match up really well. The old Steel Legion models are a bit smaller then the current Cadian Plastics and so are the FW Death korp. 

Nice report. Kinda inspirational, too. I'm going to have to give some serious thought to making a full mechanized army.

I am really enjoying playing all mech, but it is a big shift from foot guard. Even tough i am all armoured my list sometimes feels more fragile, as each loss is a much more noticeable loss in firepower. The biggest thing I am learning is it is very important to get your infantry out at the right time. I often get them out too early and they are very easy for the enemy to kill.  

Greeting Commanders,

Even with a mad weekend and work I am on schedule for finishing this weeks Armoured Fist Squad. I have finished the infantry and now just need to complete the Chimera.

When this unit is finished I will have my first platoon! As always pictures below for loyal servants of the Emperor:

PfkVjhD.jpg
1DUpP8K.jpg
1o9mJtH.jpg
BtJUYfW.jpg

Good job on the models.

Great work overall, really love the earth tones and the red patches for contrast.  Look forward to seeing the full platoon shot!  :smile.:

Thanks for the positive feedback guys :biggrin.:

I have now completed the 3rd chimera, which finishes off 1st platoon! This gives me about 500pts of fully painted Steel Legion and I am starting to get a good feel for how the army is going to look on the table top :smile.:

Work on 2nd platoon has already started. I have started 1st squad Bravo platoon, the chimera is built and base coasted and I have done the Tan on the infantry. Hopefully I will be able to get the unit finished this weekend and remain on schedule.

But for now, as always, pics below for the loal servants of the Emperor:

DgnZgaP.jpg

qPXkTk0.jpg

JIJhJNs.jpg

12Qm1xc.jpg

7wyJZYF.jpg

k5lRHvT.jpg

ZivU0fk.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Good job on the Chimera.

Look in good

Thanks for the nice comments, I think the 3rd Chimera might be my favorite so far :D

I know it has been a couple of weeks since my last update, I have been busy as hell with work and not been able to get as much painting done as I would have liked. Fortunately I was able to redeem myself in the eyes of the Emperor the weekend with a proper good painting session!

I have now completed the infantry section of the 4th Armoured fist Squad (the chimera is built and base coasted) and also completed 2 of 3 Armoured (the last one is also built and base coated). I really like how the sentinels turned out and even though I only planned for 3 of them I really want to get some more :D There is still some final basing i need to finish on the sentinels and 3 of the infantry, but for the most part these units are finished.

As always, pics below for the loyal servants of the Emperor:

EaDlaZI.jpg

6OvIylQ.jpg

qjMgf6K.jpg

GVJTimp.jpg

5klEelb.jpg

NHFnEBu.jpg

6wz39Ls.jpg

0XDqb9z.jpg

F4IlF9d.jpg

L2QFKBZ.jpg

OR5F8Q9.jpg

6s0yWwD.jpg

aIlV1Te.jpg

Man5XuM.jpg

F6UIgNY.jpg

LVauK6e.jpg

tvAu80G.jpg

Mordian Glory...I didn't know for some stupid reason you were the same from youtube, I must seek the emperors forgiveness for my lack of understanding, I shall run to the commissariat immediately. Love your work, thanks for your steel legion WIP!!!

Krash

Excellent subtle conversion work and shading on the sentinel!

A fine looking army.

Thank you :)

Mordian Glory...I didn't know for some stupid reason you were the same from youtube, I must seek the emperors forgiveness for my lack of understanding, I shall run to the commissariat immediately. Love your work, thanks for your steel legion WIP!!!

Krash

Haha no worries! I tend to put my painting stuff on the B&C as it helps to keep me motivated :)

The commissariat only accepts apologies in the form of painted models - so you'll need to be following Mordian's sterling example :wink:

Amen Brother! Painted models for the win :)

• 2 weeks later...

Happy New Year Commanders!

I know it has been a few weeks since I last updated this thread, its been a busy xmas and new year. But fear not my duty to the Emperor has not been neglected.

The first Chimera of Bravo Platoon has been finished, just 2 more Armoured Fists Squads to go!

So far I have painted 4 Chimeras, 40 infantry, and 3 Sentinels, which puts me about half way through the army :D I still have to get 2 more chimeras, 20 more infantry and 4 Leman Russes.

I have played lots of games with proxy models with overall army and it has done really well, dont think I have lost a game :)

As always, pics below for the loyal servants of the Emperor:

J5KELiK.jpg
N6icPaq.jpg
Sz6MIrU.jpg
Tnm4zw8.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Greeting Fellow Commanders,

It has been many moons since my last update, but fear not for I have been working hard in the name of the Emperor. Since my last vox message I have acquired nearly all the models I need for the 234th! All have been built and many base coated. I have also been playing lots of games with my "Tournament List" and I have been doing well, the 234th are undefeated in the last 2 months! 

This weekend was the first chance in a while I had to just sit down and paint some models, I focused on the squad leaders and my second company commander, Major Krennic. Many of the character figures (officers and sgts) I am using are converted or from 3rd party companies. The fluff I have come up with for this variation in uniform is that the 234th is built around a core of hardened senior officers and NCOs, who have access to personalized and superior equipment. This helps explain some of the non Steel Legion re-breather units, masks and coats. The Junior Officers and enlisted men tend to have higher casualty rates and thus many of them are fresh faced and only have their standard issue equipment.

I am doing a big push on the infantry at the moment and want to get another 2 squads finished. I predict it will be another 2-3 months before the founding of 234th will be complete. As always pics below for the loyal servants of the Emperor:

9yMSKcR.jpg
Jkkm6Yv.jpg
i6fKUEI.jpg
OkSBXn8.jpg
RJxeZxZ.jpg
ro0sgX7.jpg
ekwdV6m.jpg
iKciIst.jpg
mTf05X7.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Greeting Commanders,

It has been many days since I last updated this thread, but fear not for I have toiled hard in the service of the Emperor. 

I have been taking part in the Trooping the Colour painting event and have been posting updates there instead. However to avoid this post having any gaps I will share what I have painted below.

I have completed 2 more Infantry Squads and 4x Grenade Launcher Command Squad. I have another 2x chimeras and 4x leman russes to paint which will cover all the armour needed for my 2000pts list! Once these models have been painted I need to buy 2 more infantry squads and a plasma gunner from GW and the army will be completed :D I can see the light at the end of the tunnel and will be pushing for the burn to finish this force off soon.

I also have completely redone all the bases for the army. I was finding it really hard to recreate the rusty sand consistently on each model, so i bought some industrial pattern resin bases from ebay. it was £1.60 for 10 so I went ahead and bought 100 of them, not bad for a tenner :) link to the bases here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/INDUSTRIAL-FACTORY-EFFECT-25mm-ROUND-PLASTIC-RESIN-BASES-x-10/362218888482?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Overall the quality of the bases is pretty good and the patterns/design on them is nice. I have 2 small criticisms. 1) they are not all the same height, there is a couple of mm difference between some of the bases. this is not noticeable when playing on the tabletop. 2) Even after washing and scrubbing it was almost impossible to brush paint onto the bases. I got round this by buying some ironbreaker spray paint and spraying all the bases.   

I also repainted all the helmets to be green. I liked the white hats on my Mordians and Cadians but it just didnt feel right on the Steel Legion. I wanted them to look like a little more realistic and with some kinda of camo. I also wanted my colour scheme to be similar to the original Armageddon colours, but not exactly the same. I think I have managed to capture this look. 

But in the mean time, as always, pics below for loyal servants of the Emperor.

ee6AH5S.jpg
0TLZh5h.jpg
31xm0xa.jpg
fwxFrc7.jpg
gIJz2Mo.jpg
HAAVjIb.jpg
TW9haUK.jpg
rA0EQyD.jpg
6Mjlh1R.jpg
Noph0xL.jpg
n2tKGWp.jpg
5EN3Z81.jpg
6ENUcgh.jpg

• 2 months later...

Greeting Commanders,

It has been many months since I last updated this thread, but as always I have been working hard on the 234th. I can happily announce the army is now 95% complete and I am able to run a solid 2000pts army. I still have a hellhound, a manticore and a couple of infantry squads to buy/paint, but that is all I have left to do on the regiment. Now I am going to focus on doing lots of battle reports the Steel Legion so you guys can see them in action, the first of which you can watch now!

Archived