Back again with Golden paints review!

Gibbous

Finally received the Golden Paints in the mail! I ordered from Michael's on the 16th, those aren't here yet(don't use Michael's online crap).

I ordered from Amazon Monday and have the Violet-Green, Green-Blue, Green-Orange, and Pearl in today!

Here is a review video, they look a lot better in person, and are SICK:

https://youtu.be/o90UTzqXEfM

I'll post a follow-up in a minute of a sword I repainted while this was uploading.

Edited by Major_Gilbear

Awesome dude! Thanks for these.

I also bought similar paints from Liquitex but their interference paints were only available in single color not the multicolors Golden had so either: Red, Blue, Green, Purple, etc.

Finally received the Golden Paints in the mail! I ordered from Michael's on the 16th, those aren't here yet(don't use Michael's online crap).

I ordered from Amazon Monday and have the Violet-Green, Green-Blue, Green-Orange, and Pearl in today!

Here is a review video, they look a lot better in person, and are SICK:

https://youtu.be/o90UTzqXEfM

I'll post a follow-up in a minute of a sword I repainted while this was uploading.

Cool!

Any chance of a doing a review here on the B&C? It's the sort of topic I imagine many would be interested in, and not everybody is able to watch YouTube videos (at work for example...).

Cool!

Any chance of a doing a review here on the B&C? It's the sort of topic I imagine many would be interested in, and not everybody is able to watch YouTube videos (at work for example...).

No problem man! Using my phone, please accept any spelling/grammatical errors...

First off, other than the Pearl, these paints are transparent. When I say "x" amount of coats, they are very THIN coats, so don't be overwhelmed. I'm not using a bucket of paint for this! I'm using ONE drop of paint for every 5-6 coats!

Second, I am far from a professional painter. In fact, I'm relatively novice, but am learning quickly. I've only been painting for about 3-4 months. I am open for any and all Constructive criticism, ideas, or suggestions! If you want me to try something, just ask.

gallery_102722_13952_262668.jpg

On to the meat and taters!

The Iridescent Pearl is more of a BRIGHT/flashy, silver color. It is more flashy than Stormhost(?) Silver. It's like painting with tin-foil. I tried using it as a base for the other colors, but the flash it gives off seems to drown out the interference paints. I did one or two coats of pearl over white, then about 20x coats(seriously) of green- Orange and was barely able to see the green.

As I was doing this, I thought I'd try a couple coats of waystone green over the top and it made a nice effect. Over the waystone, I put 5-6x coats of the orange-green, which was the first and only time I was able to see the orange. (Pic below)

gallery_102722_13952_199439.jpg

Green-Orange - This was my least favorite of the 4 colors. Still some descent effects, but not as much as I would have liked to have seen. On all of the Interference paints, I tried with multiple bases. Green, Blue, Red, Light Grey (Abandon Black + Ceramite White), Yellow (Averland Sunset), didn't really do anything. Mostly just made them shiny. Although, you could see the opposite color, it wasn't string enough for my taste. GO worked best with Black, Dark Grey (again with the AB+CW, just darker), Yellow, and White. Over yellow, it is a neat looking effect with the green standing out. The Black is a very, very slight orange on one angle, with a nice green on the other. Slight Pearl effect over white. Dark Grey has a nice effect as well, it mashes it almost purple in some angles. Grey was probably the best for the GO.

gallery_102722_13952_1215999.jpg

Violet-Green - Second place out of the interference colors. This is REALLY interesting over black! It starts to show after about 3x coats, but gets a really good violet green color change at 6x coats. Black base will show all 3 colors at different angles! White is ok, takes about 10x coat for effect to show. Mournfang Brown turns more of a violet tent, kinda cool. Over Zandri Dust, the green comes out and gives it a more ethereal effect which was surprising to me. I thought that was really cool, the pic doesn't do it justice (pics below).

gallery_102722_13952_697127.jpg

Green-Blue - By FAR my favorite of the interference paints! Over white, this one has the best pearl effect. I think the iridescent pearl looks great over white with one coat, but it's more shiny than pearl. The GB on the other hand, SICK! It was what I was looking for. Takes 8-10x coats over white. Over black, you get the full range of colors, Green to Black to Blue. Over dark grey, GB really pops! If I could only pick 1, this would be it!

gallery_102722_13952_426357.jpg

Other Notes - Don't put Dull Coat or 'ardcoat over these paints. It just kills the effects (yup, gotta try it or I'd be well into finishing a model and have to start over).

I wanted to try making a sword I had painted a little more c other worldly" on a Librarian Psycher. I did a VERY light bade of the Pearl, then put around 6x coats of BG over the top. I think it turned out really nice, pics don't do it justice.

gallery_102722_13952_79605.jpg

Finally, different light sources tend to change the effects a little. I paint under a desk lamp with white light. For most things this works quite well. I'd move my test pieces into florescent light, and it would be completely different looking. Then this morning, while writing this, I put test pieces under a regular light, and again different from both the white and florescent.

I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on these or ideas you may have for me to try. I'd like to "find" more cool effects to share! Thanks for reading and Happy Thanksgiving!

Edited by Major_Gilbear
Phrasing!

Thank you for your review - very helpful, especially as it's a topic that's come up a few times before! :)

I agree with you that the blue-green looks the most convincing - might be interesting for a more insectile Nurgle army, or perhaps for a metallic version of a Sons Of Horus force.

I wonder if applying a couple of coats of gloss varnish at the end would (1) help to smooth out the brush stroke texture a little, and (2) improve the reflective colour-changing properties of the paint effect?

It may, I was wondering the same thing. All I have right now is Dullcoat and 'ardcoat though (which just kills the effect, don't do that, lol). Also, when I started I wasn't thinning the paints out. I was just kinda slopping them on. Especially the base coats. I'll do some more serious painting this next week and tinker with some things. I'll post some more pics when I have a finished product. Thanks for commenting!

Edited by Gibbous