Dealing with Primarchs

lash144

I really would not recommend to rely on a single Shadowsword if you really want a Primarch dead in one turn. Sure, a Shadowsword does a lot of damage on average, but you don't always get average. For reliability you need to roll a larger number of dice. That means more guns with more shots.

The Volcanon cannon can easily roll 5 shots, hit 2, wound 2, with both getting saved by Magnus' invuln. The chance of a shadowsword doing nothing against a Primarch is quite high.

Hellhounds are sooo much fun, park in your opponents face and DARE him to destroy it, you can re-roll the exploads dice for fun :tongue.:

If you have the points, add track guards. Nothing beats your opponents face when your 1 wound hellhound is still moving 12" and autohitting with its flamers, heavy flamer is a must! 

Do wonder if this has derailed the post though..............

However there is a use for them vs primarchs, if they are out in front, they may charge them and kill them in a turn = mortal wounds on the units within 6", or he ignores them and you roast something else with those lovely 3d6 (your taking the heavy flamer right?) autohits

I don´t know if I´m the biggest fan of the HF on a Hellhound, since it´s not working well with the range of its main gun. And since I play Tallarn, I can still stick a Heavy Bolter on it and drive by ;)

I really would not recommend to rely on a single Shadowsword if you really want a Primarch dead in one turn. Sure, a Shadowsword does a lot of damage on average, but you don't always get average. For reliability you need to roll a larger number of dice. That means more guns with more shots.

The Volcanon cannon can easily roll 5 shots, hit 2, wound 2, with both getting saved by Magnus' invuln. The chance of a shadowsword doing nothing against a Primarch is quite high.

Yeah thats also what I am worrying about. I just crunched some numbers and if you just look at the average and calculate a points for wounds value its pretty ridiculous how far ahead the Shadowsword is.

I also don´t like the reliance on one model.

Maybe I´m adding some AdMech Dunecrawlers with Icarus Arrays / Neutron Lasers in a Spearhead. Those look quite tasty and would make a good addition to my mechanised force.

Lascannon spam?

Shadowsword?

bubblewrap the previous two so they can't charge you with warp speed?

Best way for dealing with those two is shooting that causes multiple wounds

Edited by noigrim

The answer, as we all clearly know, is the humble lasgun. 12 Infantry Squads or so, backed up with FRFSRF from their brave and brilliant officers, will clearly send any warp monstrosity running. If that should fail (hey, occasionally the enemy is lucky) then surely you are blessed by the Emperor with a fine opportunity to demonstrate your soldiers' proficiency with the mighty bayonet.

We were already given the best weapon in the galaxy. You just need enough of them. :)

The answer, as we all clearly know, is the humble lasgun. 12 Infantry Squads or so, backed up with FRFSRF from their brave and brilliant officers, will clearly send any warp monstrosity running. If that should fail (hey, occasionally the enemy is lucky) then surely you are blessed by the Emperor with a fine opportunity to demonstrate your soldiers' proficiency with the mighty bayonet.

We were already given the best weapon in the galaxy. You just need enough of them. :)

This man makes a fine officer!! Follow his lead, boys!!!

You aren't even wrong. In my game the Lasguns stripped of several wounds. Definitely more than my Lascanons.

The one time I have faced Mortarion so far, I finished him off lasguns. It was a glorious moment. Of course, other stuff did most of the work.

Have you tried Old Grudges warlord trait? That thing is amazing vs these kind of problem units like Primarchs or Knights. I know you'd have to give up Grand Strategist for it but in these specific games it's so worth it.

I had forgot that was a thing! that changes a lot!