My *totally unexpected* return

Everyone who's surprised to see me back raises their hand.

*absolutely no one does*

I thought so.

I've taken breaks before, but since my two last posts stated I was going for good, I figured a thread about my return was necessary, if only to stave off comments such as "I thought you left?" I was sincere in these said two posts, but opinions change, and mine in particular is especially fond of doing that.

So I 'officially' left the hobby three months ago because I was less than impressed with the setting of Warhammer 40,000 turning into an ongoing story that reads to me as 'Age of Sigmar in SpaceTM,' when that update to Warhammer Fantasy already felt like a copy of the Emperor's Great Crusade so thinly-veiled it probably qualified as negative disguised.*

Well, saying my impression of the 'New Warhammer 40,000' has improved since then would be a lie so blatant the Ruinous Powers themselves would feel like I'm trying too hard, but I missed the community here, so even though the physical side of my hobby won't extend beyond 'assemble and paint the hundreds of models I have sitting around in my cupboards and even my wardrobe, maybe' for a long time, I decided to return.

This still counts as a new start though, so I'll try to make my posts more worth reading than they used to be and, (let's live dangerously) actually think before I post. :ph34r.:

* personal opinion, as 'reads to me' and 'felt like' imply.

*Raises hand*

I haven't seen your last 2 posts but I noticed your absence. So I was surprised to see a thread pop up with your name on it.

Welcome back and I hope you'll find the enjoyment in the new setting, since it's a pity to quit the thing you love because of a new edition.

Edited by GreyRavenC

Welcome back, Raven. Though the current state of matters might not enthuse you, there is always thirty years worth of depth to explore - both as a game and the lore behind it. ;)

Thanks everyone for the welcomes.

I hope you'll find the enjoyment in the new setting, since it's a pity to quit the thing you love because of a new edition.

Lore comes - and sometimes - goes so I don't worry about it too much as it's only one part of the hobby.

hough the current state of matters might not enthuse you, there is always thirty years worth of depth to explore - both as a game and the lore behind it. :wink:

Truthfully, I didn't actually quit Warhammer 40,000; I just retreated to my old White Dwarfs, codices and army books since the Warhammer 40,000 I'm interested in won't be updated anymore.

I'm still unsure which of Age of Sigmar or the New Warhammer 40,000 is worse as far as I'm concerned, but that's not the point of the + COMMUNITY + board, so I'll just say I have no reason to enjoy 8th edition and several not to.

We'll need you to present yourself for some purity tests, naturally. Can never be too careful...

A judicious precaution indeed, considering the setting I was spending my time with during my absence. The purity tests may prove deadly, but as I was working on inserting Warhammer 40,000 into it rather than the other way round, I may still have hope. ;D

• 2 months later...

I noticed you weren't around. Glad you've returned :-D

Sometimes I think it's best not to take the lore too seriously, and instead enjoy the fun Hobby and the community we are a part of.

By the way Raven, are you based in the UK? I could always use another player for my Silver Tower board game evenings :-D

• 2 weeks later...