imperial agent/inquisition codex gone for good?

angrom

Hey,

The latest few rule releases and lazy codex was giving me the feeling than sooner or later we will suffer the same treatment as squats.

with the new chapter approved it seems even more obvious.

side dex like arlequin and genestealers cult got updates but no sign of any imperial agent or inquisition.

So it seems like we will no get a dex this time and I fear GW is trying to buried us.

What do you think?

It's also possible any army not in chapter approved will be getting a codex in 1Q2018.

GW will know that if they give an army an update in chapter approved and then released a full codex for that army a month or two later they would get a lot of flak about it.

I think the armies in not in chapter approved will be the first in line to get an updated codex for 8th Ed in 2018 which is why they don't have updates to tide them over.

Well, they won't get squatted and we will "always" have the index at least as long as 8th edition lasts.

I'm not too upset ... sure, I would like more, and would love something along the glory days of Codex: Witchhunters and Codex: Daemonhunters, but the index is not bad and I still remember the old 3rd edition days before the aforementioned codexes and it was fine. Lord Inquisitor Soulis in fact began his life as an Inquisitor from the Heroes of the Imperium "list" at the back of the 3rd edition rulebook. And the current index gives more options than the Heroes of the Imperium "list" did. So if we just have the index indefinitely I'm okay with that.

As Captain Krash says, I'm not totally sure we NEED a full codex.

My impression is that, worst case scenario, we'll have an index type list at minimum. I think GW can be believed when they say they learned from Squats and they will not do that to people again.

Simply put, the likelihood that GW is going to squat any army, any faction, is practically nil. The reaction to squats being squated being what it has been over the last while, and the recent fluff changes suggesting that the squats aren't even squated anymore, suggest that squating a still extant faction, with models you can buy, that exist in the fiction in a big role, is practically nil.

If we don't get a new codex, then that just means we use the Index forever, as Nicodemus says. And that's not a bad thing. They're enough solid rules.

There are a few Imperial mini-factions (Inquisition, Assassins, Custodes, SoS) which could easily co-exist in a Codex, even if they don’t form a natural army together, so that’s what I’m anticipating.

I’m certainly interested to see how they handle Acolytes in a Codex. Treating them as mini-characters (2-3 wounds) with a better stat-line (WS/BS 3+, 2A) would help to distinguish them from guardsmen/Scions and make them more believable Inquisitors in training or Harlon Nayl-types.

One thing that struck me about last December’s Codex: Imperial Agents is that a lot of it seems like a dry-run for 8th edition: indeed, some things only seem to make sense from an 8th ed perspective. The creation of multiple micro-factions is the main example.

One feature of C:IA which never made much sense to me was the Inquisitorial Henchmen Warband formation, which allowed the inclusion of a unit of your appropriate Chamber Militant but with no obvious formation benefit. From an 8th edition perspective, I could anticipate a rule which allows you to incorporate <Ordo> units with their respective Chamber Militant into a single detachment without loss of the benefits of being single faction (e.g. Grey Knights could still get their +1 to cast/deny if included in a detachment with Ordo Malleus units.

No way in hell they're gunna squat us man. I wouldn't be worried about them getting rid of a HUGE part of 40k lore, I'd be more worried about them glazing over us in Codex:  IA when it comes out. The =][= provides GW a great place to add YOUR DUDES to the existing army. If they were any sort of smart what they would do is give us a hugely customizable character box ala Space Marine Commander to build your own custom inquisitor along with a super customizable Acolytes box. It would also be dope as hell if they included more units, but honestly they aren't necessary, inquisition can already pick and choose what they want from everyone else. Really they're missing out on a huge market with this. 

"One feature of C:IA which never made much sense to me was the Inquisitorial Henchmen Warband formation, which allowed the inclusion of a unit of your appropriate Chamber Militant but with no obvious formation benefit. From an 8th edition perspective, I could anticipate a rule which allows you to incorporate <Ordo> units with their respective Chamber Militant into a single detachment without loss of the benefits of being single faction (e.g. Grey Knights could still get their +1 to cast/deny if included in a detachment with Ordo Malleus units."

This actually makes a ton of sense tbh. I could easily see them doing something like this. Also it would be super cool to have orbital bombardments on inquisitors like Karimazov had, as a warlord trait