Sternguard effectiveness and equipment

Xenith

Hi all,

I'm looking at adding another couple of sternguard squads to my army using the Mk4 and mk3 box sets and was looking for ideas on equipment, so how are people running them these days?

With the box set equipment, I was thinking 5 guys all special bolters, however are these now outclassed by intercessors in terms of fire and staying power?

Is the role of sternguard now back to multiple combi weapons?

I already have one unit with 4*combi grav and 1* heavy flamer

I'm not a crazy list builder, so looking for something thematic, but not redundant.

These will be in a BA army, so serge will get some kind of power weapon

I run mine in 10 man squads with Special Issue Bolters, deepstriking with Lias. Large squads are better if you're planning on using the Masterful Marksman strategem (especially with the Storm of Fire warlord trait) and it only works with SPBs. They've never disappointed me so far. 

Stormbolters are very good too, but I'd rather stick them on company veterans for the bodyguard rule, together with a chainsword since they need to land closer and are in a more dangerous position.

If you're going for combi/special weapons I would stick to company vets due to same cost but higher ratio of special/combiweapons and the afformented bodyguard rule.

Keep them cheap and cheerful. A squad of 10 is pretty good with the +1 damage stratagem :-)

Imo if you want special weapons you can do it more cheaply with Company Veterans. Nothing is stopping you from running 5 Company Vets in MkIII/IV armour that are all armed with Plasmas for example.

Sternguard vs Intercessors

Survivability - Intercessors hands down - 2 wounds vs 1 wound

Firepower - Sternguard hands down - that extra -1 armor plus Masterful Marksmen knocks them out of the park

I habe used Bith each have their rolls, also remember that Intercessors have Objective Secured and parking 10 on an objective whether in 2 squads or one is hard to dislodge, plus they have decent firepower and range base to help a fair amount of the board. Sternguard are crazy good at pushing footsloggers off the board and can help remive vehicles from the board as well.

I enjoy running a ten-man Sternguard Squad with a Lieutenant, Librarian and Ironclad in a Stormraven. It's a bunch of points (about 6-700!) but it's got everything you need.

Volume of fire from Hurricanes and SIBs; quality fire from the SIBs; accuracy buffing with Wisdom of the Ancients; wound buffing with the Lieutenant; armour cracking from the Raven's big guns and the Ironclad's Chainfist (plus Might of Heroes); and the mobility of the Raven gives you good deployment options.

And I'll second SIBs on Sternguard, Masterful Marksmanship is an awesome Stratagem.

Edited by Kallas

Ishagu makes some good points, and I agree Sternguard now excel with just their base bolters

Grav and flamers / heavy flamers are also a good option for them too

If youre thinking Plasma your probably better off with Hellblasters though

Unfortunately Sternguard are still expensive slow & squishy MEQ's so I wouldn't spend too many points in on them

Good stuff guys, this is really r reaffirming my decision to go with squads of 10 plain guys with special bolters - the temptation is always there to put a couple of heavy bolters or flamers in the unit as they look cool, but these are probably better off elsewhere in the army.

Glad to see sternies are still valid choices with their base bolters.

Another thing to note is that if your list is already good for anti-tank (which usually means a lot of lascannons) then sternguard can take care of any other type of target. This is assuming you have a 10man squad with the stratagem.

Edited by Tamiel

Company Vets do special weapons better, and Devastators do heavy weapons better. What Sternguard have going for them are the Special Issue Bolters, the option to take Heavy Flamers, and the ability to have up to 10 guys with special/combi-weapons in a single squad.

Special Issue Boltguns are the best all around option, being relatively cheap and effective, with the Stratagem as a way to bump their damage output further. Imperial Fists get a second Stratagem in Bolter Drills to make this an even better option for them.

Heavy Flamers are OK as a deterrent against being charged, and can do some decent damage if you get close. Their viability really depends on the terrain and what you'll be facing off against.

The ability to take 10 special/combi-weapons together is only really a benefit for Salamanders with the Flamecraft Stratagem. The Heavy Flamers can also help here but aren't strictly necessary. This squad requires transport to get close and can get pretty pricey when fully decked out, but they can shred most anything you can fire them at.

Sternguard are the heart and soul of the Griffons Triumphant, my Imperial Fists Successors. SIBs are extremely effective. A Sternguard Drop Pod attack is one of the best in the game.

And one of the very few remaining uses for pods, unfortunately :(

Edited by Firepower

Ok the decision is pretty much unanimous!

Next squads are all bolters in old marks of armour.

Idaho, you suggest a heavy flamer per 5 however others suggest maximum bolters for the stratagem - I think BA can still take heavy flamer Devs, so are they needed here? I can always magnetise the forge world flamers.

Base Sternguards are nice if not remarkable. Good support when dealing with infantry like an upgraded Tactical Squad.

Combi Sternguards are really good Fire support if you want to drive a point home on a specific task, but are really going to be prioritized and they are a bit of a glass cannon.

Really both have their uses