Loading a transport for murdering stuff - new codex

Crimson Ghost IX

I tried that last gameday and had the Repulsor taken out turn two by 6 lascannons and the squad inside killed piecemeal by guard infantry. I happily conceded after that.

It is not a good combination at all...two many eggs in ones basket.

But ultimately if they can get to where they need to be...just like everything else they can be effective.

Krash

What did you do about those Las Cannons? Did you deploy correctly or use terrain? What other threats did you present to the opponent?

A repulsor full of guys will attract attention every time. You need to find ways to mitigate this or add redundancy.

the auto launchers are a terrible idea.

The primaris units are not good enough in melee or close ranged shooting to justify not firing with nearly 1/4 of the average army for a turn.

if the auto launchers had imposed a penalty on the repulsors own to-hit rolls? they'd be okay, but they're terrible as it stands.

That's why I said “if“. It's kinda impossible to say how things are 100% the time but I agree that usually it's a terrible idea.

So now that I got my abacus working for the new points and such.

Think I have decided to use 3xRazorbacks over 2XRhinos of troops.

Soliciting your thoughts on :

3 units of

Razorback with Twin Heavy Bolter and Storm Bolter @ 89pts

5 Sternguard @ 149pts

Sgt with Power Sword and Special Issue Bolter

2 Grav Cannon

2 Special Issue Bolter

714 points* for 3 units (or 238pts each.)

Leaves lots of room to build an army around I think and is armed for pretty flexable encounters with the Sternguard choice.

Means going Batt+V+V for 8 cp

Support it with jump troops, some fire support elements, perhaps a DCDN...

Room to carry 3 chars yet. Perhaps Corbs, LT, Company Ancient. OR Mephiston etc.

Or could just bump to 6 sternguard and go with some or all jumper characters (Might be a better idea *nod).

Can the olde BA vet marines still mech it up too or should they hang it up for something else? 

---

(Just happens to be similiar points to big repulsor unit earlier not direct comparison due lacking chars etc).

• 2 weeks later...

Going to be getting my Caestus on the table full of Terminators when possible (or something) - should be fun, especially considering that insane Magna Melta.

Fly up the table; Melta something; Missile something else; RAM a FLYer.

Dude how has the Caestus been serving you? :) Has it improved with 8th? I haven't seen its stats or rules yet.

It was totally and solely responsible for the devastating winning streak I suddenly had when I used it. Well that and the Legacy of Glory for ignores cover on its Magma Blaster.

2d6 hits Melta, range 18"? That'd be pretty tasty!

Maybe a little easier to get in range too, now that shots are measured from the hull and the Caestus has its hull sticking out a few inches in front of its base, whilst the twin Magma is stuck in the centre where it used to have a narrow LoS channel.

That Ram rule too, lol I would love to see how that works now.

Hmm and termies are cheaper now too...hmm indeed :D

In the wake of the the point drop on drop pods, I decided to give them a try again and I have been pleased with the results in the three games I have used them in. I don't think the are as strong as they were in last edition but adding 1 or 2 to an army can be quite effective as they give flexibility for early game positioning and protect your squad from alpha strike.

Summary of my results:

Game 1: Drop Pod, 8 tacticals (melta, combi-melta) & foot libby

Game 2: Drop Pod, 5 tacticals (melta, combi-melta), Tycho, Company Champion

Game 3: Drop Pod, 5 tacticals (melta, combi-melta), Tycho, Lieutenant (maul & bp)

In game 1, the libby was able to get a big smite on a land raider on the turn they dropped and the meltas each killed a centurion while the pod secured me the right side mid-field objective for the game.

In game 2, the pod grabbed me the left mid-field objective and the guys inside got out, killed 4 of a 10 man GK squad in cover and, miraculously, all made their 9" charges to clean up the GK squad and claim the center objective.

In game 3, the results were not quite as good but still solid. The tacticals and Tycho got into position to cripple 2 Dark Eldar Bombers with only a little help from nearby Baal Predator and the bolter marines managed to clean up a kabalite warrior squad. The tacticals all died in my opponents next turn but it took 2 venoms and 2 kabalite squads to kill them so he didn't have enough left to kill the two characters. Tycho and the LT then went on a bit of a rampage, killing 2 venoms, 1.5 kabalite squads, a haemonculus and an archon (enemy warlord) over the next 4 turns. This was the first time I had used a captain and lieutenant together and I was very impressed by their synergy (even though I forgot to reroll my wounds of 1 in turn 1; Doh!).

I'm still enjoying my Storm Raven. Dedicated anti tank/air is a pain but supported by dreads and razors it gives the anti infantry firepower nowhere to land.

I think armor lists will always have a place especially in a infantry meta. I think the tough spot is the lists with just a couple of armored targets. Just enough for the cursory anti armor weapons that all lists bring to have effective targets but not enough to force poor target priority choices is a bad place to be.

Proliferation of primaris might see a bit of a swing back to multi wound weapons all over and may hurt dedicated armor list viability.

Well that's my ramble regarding my general thoughts on armor in 40k. still a tad groggy from Christmas cheer

I just picked up a Storm Raven. I've posted about them before but have yet to use one in game. I can't wait. I'm thinking of loading it up with my DC dread. I don't know who I'll bring along. Maybe a foot melticide assault squad to start. I'm sure there are better but that will get me into place with some bodies.

I opted for anti-horde in terms of weaponry. I've got the typhoon missiles, assault cannon, hurricane bolters. I may replace the typhoon missile launchers with mutli meltas.

I also run razorbacks and am considering a flamer unit of tactical marines to rush forward, or foot melta assault marines. Lots of building to be done still.

My own Storm Raven is nearing completion and I am also wondering what to put in it. Mephiston seems like a great choice but I need a few more bodies with him. I had a couple of 5-man meltacide assault squads on foot that I built to go in drop pods in 7th but Pods and meltas don't synergise so well now due to range. Putting the 2 squads in the Raven would solve that problem and give some relatively cheap punch to acompany Mephiston while a DC Dread hangs on below. A 5-man assault Terminator squad would be pretty punchy but a lot more expensive.

Hey guys,

There's been a bit of discussion in this thread about the Repulsor and the Stormraven but not a lot of love for the oldschool Land Raider.

I'd kind of like to take one of these for the fluff value (we're supposed to have above average numbers of Land Raiders compared to other chapters) but is there still a place for a ground transport when we have such easy access to comparable flying vehicles? I know I'm reluctant to take a super-expensive vehicle and push it forward into charge range - but maybe if we're supporting it with enough counter-charges from infiltrated scouts and board hopping death company it's not such a risky gambit.

I love my Stormraven but it attracts an incredible amount of fire, to the degree where I'm planning to send it across the board virtually empty (current plan is just a Dreadnought and maybe a company champion). Deploying a Stormraven and a Land Raider full of assault terminators would certainly force some target prioritisation (they'd be more useful in the Stormraven, they'd get in faster, but that removes the decision and makes the Stormraven the obvious target again), but it would also eat something like 600 points, from memory, so it's not a decision to be made lightly.

(I'm such a slow painter that I spend way more time painting and considering these dilemmas than I do actually playing the game, so I'm hoping more regular players will have a better idea of it in practise!)

Well imo if you take a Landraider you could just as well take a Stormraven instead.

Also I'm not sure about the above average amount of Landraiders. Especially after the Devastation of Baal event. I think the only thing we have above average amounts of currently are Scouts lol

Well every good unit does. At least the enemy hits worse than he would when shooting something else. You only have a problem if it's the only threat you have on the table.

Great point again. You need to make sure that when you bring a threat to the table that you bring multiples of it. So even if you're opponent brings anti-what ever it won't be enough to stop your threats.

I had good success putting jump troops inside a land raider back at the dawn of 8th under the index.

... as Lemartes alone was not cutting it previously for 9" drop charge etc.

Turn1 advance land raider and shoot.

Turn2 jump out up the table and close into the enemy.

Actually I lost alot, but we were all learning the new edition the idea didn't totally suck at all...

Transports have a way of getting closer charges than 9 inches (2nd turn) while shielding their peeps from enemy action.

They also apply pressure while the game develops nicely.

The change to auto go first for the first player done deploying changed this for me mostly.

Remember also I was doing this before we got all the great codex stratagems allowing drop with more reliable deep strike charges, wings, and forlorn fury etc.

I have changed to Rhino / Razors moving up close support and jump troops dropping in at list building stage lately.

All transports are asssault transports before movement in 8th edition - also taking teeth out of the land raider smile.

With the Strats we have now the Land Raider and indeed StormRaven (although DCDN delivery) seem less attractive to me for BA.

I currently think they are mostly not needed / slightly too expensive fire magnets basically.

Land Raiders are still cool tho; and I own 3, so they will get on the table eventually, but I can get quite a bit of other armour for their cost.

I suppose I would rather 2 Rhino and a Pred -or- Razors and a Vindicator or something for the points cost.

Fewer eggs in one basket and shtuff, although Crusaders are still tempting.

By all means use them, they don't totally suck or anything and keep regular opponents guessing at what you might do next game.

I am just having a hard time justifying their deployment myself right now and would rather use a few Rhino for beta strike support etc.

Edited by Crimson Ghost IX

Hey guys,

There's been a bit of discussion in this thread about the Repulsor and the Stormraven but not a lot of love for the oldschool Land Raider.

Great call. I own 1 landraider, the version with the assault cannon and flamers. I've had my eye on including an assault terminator squad and my terminator chaplain. I've just not completed those yet. 

I've considered driving those boys up the field because I'm not confident I can get a 9" charge in, and they're so slow that missing that charge would leave them seriously out of position. Possibly for the rest of the game.

I'll drive them up, and then drop a squad of DC/SG or a shooty terminator squad in behind our target. I'm opting for 3 TH/SS and 2 LC.

I agree that a land raider is a very viable option for transporting your unit(s) of terminators. I plan on having three in my Custodes list. But they also have the venerable land raiders with fnp rolls... so.. 

My terminators will either drop in or walk up the field. Don't forget that TH+SS termies can teleport in and soak up fire while your other units do their thing. 

Picture a ten man TH+SS terminator squad with a obligatory JP priest in their midst as a distraction carnifex. 

Dunno...with the amount of Lascannons in the meta right now I wouldn't bet my money on Landraider at all to be honest. Not to mention that Terminators aren't exactly the most optimal elite choice either. It's more something for casual games I'd say.

Dunno...with the amount of Lascannons in the meta right now I wouldn't bet my money on Landraider at all to be honest. Not to mention that Terminators aren't exactly the most optimal elite choice either. It's more something for casual games I'd say.

Ehhh... perhaps. But using it all together you can build a list that makes those TH+SS terminators quite scary.

Yup. Amen. That'll work for our group no problem. We're not seeing Morty/Magnus, 5 Demon prince lists where we play.

For competitive lists you should be running BA as a detachment anyway I'm guessing. Or add RG to your fire base. Or take an AM/IG Brigade with lots of mortars or non-LOS shooting units with huge bubble wrap and lots of tanks.

Not trying to be negative either, our group just really isn't min/max even though we play to win if that makes sense.

Yup. Amen. That'll work for our group no problem. We're not seeing Morty/Magnus, 5 Demon prince lists where we play.

For competitive lists you should be running BA as a detachment anyway I'm guessing. Or add RG to your fire base. Or take an AM/IG Brigade with lots of mortars or non-LOS shooting units with huge bubble wrap and lots of tanks.

Not trying to be negative either, our group just really isn't min/max even though we play to win if that makes sense.

I really like this post..

I hear ya. 

Although I like my buddies paying out the nose for those Lascannon generally, as they are a bit suboptimal at killing say... jump troop squads.

The lascannon platforms commonly make good targets for say... jump troop squads also.

So perhaps it is good to dangle fresh meat once in awhile to keep em highly invested in long range anti tank weapons =).

Or perhaps I have just gone too far down the rabbit hole of my own meta. *nod.

I still think I would rather 2xVindicators and a Rhino for the points of a Land Raider tho. (But I am hauling foot vets so that works for me).

Whatever you are taking you have to integrate it with your overall force to suit your overall plan obviously.