Iron Hawks by THUNDERFISTS

THUNDERFISTS

Greetings,

Below is the start of my Iron Hawks chapter of Primaris Marines. I was looking up known chapters and my eye was drawn to these lads with the white faceplates and striking red details. All of the current information I could find boils down to them 1) helping the White Scars and 2) helping the Salamanders fight a Daemon. So, a group of very helpful and versatile chaps then.

Iron Hawks Astartes

Working from this image (source: SM Codex 6th Edition) I've made up my first two Intercessors:

01 Iron Hawks

(some sneaky and blurry reinforcements in the background)

Without a sufficient backstory or known founding chapter, I'm free to explore my options. The obvious two are either Iron Hands or Ravenguard, but those seem almost too obvious. White Scars tactics on the other hand brings to mind the mobile strike force that I feel Space Marines should exemplify. I do love Dreadnaughts though, so Iron Hands might just make it in anyway. Gotta play around with that idea before fleshing out more backstory.

I've ordered Raptor shoulder decals from Shapeways so that should be here after the holidays and then this project can really get off the ground.

Working battlecry: "Caw Caw!" ...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Been very, very distracted from this project. The Custodes and Knights have all been (mostly) completed, so it's high time I gear up these metal bird boys again.

First is my Lieutenant, with his fancy plumed crest and totally-not-30k back banner 

Lt

Accompanying him is the ETB Redemptor Dreadnought, aptly named ZYDRUNAS. Internet points if you get the reference.

Redemptor Dread

Then we have the sneaky boy scout squad.

Scouts 1

With super stealthy black capes for maximum tacticality.

Scouts2

And finally a group shot of my Primaris with one test Reiver. I painted these without referring to the source material, so now I have to go back and give them white Raptor icons, not red. Boooo

Squad

In terms of backstory, I actually like the idea of a White Scars descendant that decidedly does not gravitate towards its primogenitors tactics. You're telling me that over 10,000 years and 26+ foundings that few, if any, successor chapters have diverged from the original Legions? Just because you're great great great great great great great great great great great great great grandfather knew how to play the fiddle doesn't mean you have any inclination of skill with a violin yourself, knowwhatiamsaying?

And again, doesn't have to Whites Scars, but my point is I actually think it would be neat-o if a Chapter was decidedly different...and maybe even contradictory...to it's founding Legion's habits. To use the WS example, maybe a successor chapter used to emulate the V Legions' tactics, but then one fateful day got caught on defense in a siege and got their :cuss handed to them. Captain so-and-so who survived but saw his men slaughtered was then tapped to found chapter X and made sure to learn lessons from that day. Fast forward another 3,000 years and two more foundings later and the grandsons (so to speak) of Captain so-and-so are particularly inclined to more slow-and-steady tactics and outlooks on things, rather than their blood pumping with Jaghatai Khan's veins.

Perhaps Captain so-and-so's men were slaughtered b/c they were outgunned in close quarters, while the other chapter fighting with them's Dreadnoughts helped out in those situations. Hence you have an "iconoclast" mindset among a White Scars descendent.

The fun of an unknown chapter is that you can do whatever you want, so I think it would actually be kind of cool to have offshoots and variations rather than the same ol' themes.

Models looks great, btw.

Zydrunas Zavitkus :happy.: The big power belly really resonates with me.

squad redone

Ah, much better. The white really pops on these guys, and brightens them up a lot.

Plus I completed my Plasma Pistol/Powerfist Captain at the same time. A very simple conversion with only a little heresy thrown in...

Captain left

cap right

Archived