40mm Bases for Independent Characters?

DuskRaider

Hey folks, quick question... is there a reason our Independent Characters (Blightbringers, Foul Blightspawn, Putrifier, etc.) are on 40mm bases instead of 32mm? They're still Astartes sized and not wearing TDA. Are we obligated to mount them on 40mm bases? I'm painting up my scenic bases so it's kind of important.

Thanks!

Are we obligated to mount them on 40mm bases?

No; there are no rules on base sizes anymore, so you can mount things on whatever you want, within reason. However (as radionausea says) all distances are measured from the bases, so you get an extra 8mm of aura coverage from a 40mm. I'd suggest that's such a small distance as to be completely immaterial, but others will disagree.

Personally, I'm of the opinion that characters should go on the same size base as their normal infantry counterparts and as such I put my own Plaguecaster and Blightbringer on 32mm bases, and my Lord of Contagion on a 40mm base.

Plague casters actually come with a 32, and the snap together LoC that's coming out is on a 40mm.

There isn't really a set metric anymore beyond "cinematic feel" , but I personally like staying with accurate base sizes since it's the last metric after LoS went out the window

Right, I feel odd putting Power Armoured models on Terminator bases. I'm not really concerned about a perceived aura boost, in fact it sounds kind of lame to me. Like modeling for an advantage, although now that TLOS has gone out the window that's less of a concern. 

Alright, I'll stick with the proper base size for what the model is equipped with. Thanks guys!

I feel the bigger bases look a look better and more cinematic. Space Marines hardly fit on the bases they used to come with, which looked rather silly to me.

To get back to your question, wasn't there a rule that stated that models have to go on the bases they come with?

Otherwise what's stopping you from putting them on large Knight bases to better spread the aura love?

To get back to your question, wasn't there a rule that stated that models have to go on the bases they come with?

That rule was in the last couple of editions for sure (and potentially further back than that), but doesn't exist in 8th.

In any case, that particular rule wasn't free of ambiguity either due to the fact that units changed base sizes over time. It was only a couple of years ago that 32mm was introduced, so you might have your Tactical Marines on 25mm facing someone with a new army on 32mm and both were "correct".

It also wasn't all that uncommon for you to a read a post by a returning player being accused of "gaming for advantage" for fielding their 2nd edition metal Terminators on 25mm bases, despite the fact that those where the bases they were provided with at the time and, per the rules, completely legal.

I've been putting my characters on 40's for awhile now, but as a modeling thing. I like the characters to stand out as such, and a slightly bigger base does help them stand out in the crowd.

Edit: I play mostly small friendly games so we all give each other done leeway, do it works out fine in my group. So I guess it's really how competitive is your meta

Edited by TURBULENCE

Currently my meta is myself, my son and about 4 friends lol... my current FLGS scene is way too competitive and I prefer narrative and relaxed. Like I said, I just feel weird mounting power armoured dudes on a 40mm, although I do see how it would be better for scenics... hmmm... I may have to think on it more. It's odd too because if you look at the Lord of Contagion & Typhus, they're on a 50mm but the new LoC coming out in the box is on a 40mm. GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER, GW!

I think the rule of thumb should be, use whatever size you think looks coolest. Because there aren't any rules about it anymore, nobody has any grounds to pull you up for using 32 instead of 25 or 40 instead of 32.

That said, if you want the characters to stand out but aren't sold on using larger bases, you could always build the bases upward with some cork chunks or something to make them stand taller than their comrades.

I like it that there isn't any rules on what size base your minature has to have as I like having my characters all being on larger bases so I can make them stand out more plus I can squeeze a few more Nurglings on the base as well

Same here. So long as the model doesn't look lost on a larger base I prefer characters are upscaled. You can do more with the base and it also helps them stand out.