Plague flail

Wolf Lord Loki

Just a quick question. Ive read the rules a few times and i Just wanted to clarify something in my head

The rules says something to The effect excess damage carries over to adjacent models.

So given its a d2 weapon would that mean each successful hit/wound could potentially kill 2 regular marines?

Giving a regular plague marine a upper limit of 6 kills?

I have a unit thats 6 strong with one blight launcher so far which I wish to reinforce to 7 to get the most out of the unit being 10 power.

Would you recommend:

1) unit of 7 geared for close combat (1*axe+ mace, 2*flail, champ as boxed, 3*expendibles)

2) unit of 7 with 2*blight launcher + 1*flail, sarge and 3 disposables

3) 2*flails, 1*blight, yadda yadda

I personally don't play using power level, I don't believe Death Guard have enough options to benefit from it. Having said that...

If your plans is to use them up close and personal I would take 2 flails as they do 2 wounds per hit which carry over to other members of the unit. If the cc weapons are just in case you get into cc I would bring another boltgun.

I know this is off topic, but...

When I played with power level it was the only game I've lost since 8th came out. Our codex wasn't out yet so I was stuck using the index against Ultramarines and Salamanders with assassins. I called the game after turn 3 then asked them to add up the points cost of their army. I had just over 2,500 points and they had over 5,000, it was far from an even fight.

When I played with power level it was the only game I've lost since 8th came out. Our codex wasn't out yet so I was stuck using the index against Ultramarines and Salamanders with assassins. I called the game after turn 3 then asked them to add up the points cost of their army. I had just over 2,500 points and they had over 5,000, it was far from an even fight.

How many power points did you both have? When we've played power it's been ok. Conversely when playing points there's been only 1 or 2 power difference.

Is it possible they just took way too much stuff?...

I think they might have cheated a little bit. If it was 1k difference I could believe that but the only way I can see such a vast difference happening is if your guys had not upgrades or special weapons and he had everything going

I'm not accusing them of that, but they were up from Texas (even had matching gaming club shirts on) and we were playing at our local GW store doing the campaign and it was the mission where there was no terrain on the board. They were both cool guys and I like to think it was they both had codex armies with more options then my index army. It just turned me off playing Power Level games.

They are assault weapons so you can advance and fire them, then once in combat they can be the ones you remove first. Plus if you know you won't be shooting, the two plague knives become viable. Edited by McElMcNinja

I'm not accusing them of that, but they were up from Texas (even had matching gaming club shirts on) and we were playing at our local GW store doing the campaign and it was the mission where there was no terrain on the board. They were both cool guys and I like to think it was they both had codex armies with more options then my index army. It just turned me off playing Power Level games.

A shame, Power can be a lot of fun in the right environment, I have much preferred using it in my games of 8th but then my group are pretty casual and not really in to competitive list building, we just like getting our favourite models on the table.

I assume they forgot to add power level points for extra models in the squads. I have seen people forget that (just paying the base power level points for each squad), and when they do they get an approximately 2x sized army compared to one who pays power level points for additional squad members too.

I don't like power levels myself, but if people make their squads as if they were using points (not maxing out on everything), they work pretty well. But points are not difficult to use either, so I much prefer them.

I like power levels but then im not a win at all cost type of player.

I only started death guard in 8th Edition and it gives me some freedom to experiment with out constant rebalancing of the army.

I have a 7 man squad of plague marines. I only have to remember one points value regardless of if im trying out a close combat squad, a shooty squad or something in the middle.

Plus vertually all our elite supporting characters are the same Power level. Noxious Blightbringer didnt pull his (considerable) weight next time i'll try a Fowl Blightspawn (who i TOTALLY didnt convert out of the same model...)

Which leads me back to flails in a roundabout way. Whats the make up of the units you guys are using them in?

I will be fielding a 7man unit so my power level is unchanged. How have you equipped your flail squad?