Lieutenant Builds - 8th edition

Chaplain Gunzhard

Am I being daft or something? How can the sanguinary ancient be the warlord when he isn't a hq choice?

Any Character can be your Warlord, not just your HQ choices.

If you want a Warlord trait that is. If you don't care about that, any model can be your warlord.

Any MODEL can be your Warlord. If you nominate a CHARACTER as your warlord that model gains a warlord trait. This means that random guardsman 6,275 can have the distict honor of being your warlord and gain the coveted cocentric circles to bear into the battle...much to the chagrin of his friends.

That's what I said.

The downside to him NOT having the character rules is that he doesn’t have the rule saying he can’t be targeted. That Random guardsman’s squad would be target #1. But in games where your list is all mech...

Back on topic: I keep my Ltd light and clean. Standard issue and maybe a power weapon.

I think the 2+ to wound with reroll is excessive - I'd stick with the sword on him to deny my opponent rolls. The only time the Ap-3 is irrelevant is against GEQ where you wound on a 2+ anyway.

Unless you want him for monster hunting where you need to get every wound through to 2+ rerollable is needed.

I think the 2+ to wound with reroll is excessive - I'd stick with the sword on him to deny my opponent rolls. The only time the Ap-3 is irrelevant is against GEQ where you wound on a 2+ anyway.

Unless you want him for monster hunting where you need to get every wound through to 2+ rerollable is needed.

In which case you probably wouldn't wound on 2+ anyway. ^^

Am I being daft or something? How can the sanguinary ancient be the warlord when he isn't a hq choice?

Any Character can be your Warlord, not just your HQ choices.

If you want a Warlord trait that is. If you don't care about that, any model can be your warlord.

Any MODEL can be your Warlord. If you nominate a CHARACTER as your warlord that model gains a warlord trait. This means that random guardsman 6,275 can have the distict honor of being your warlord and gain the coveted cocentric circles to bear into the battle...much to the chagrin of his friends.

That's what I said.

lol, sorry was on my phone I tried to reply to the other guy.

I magnetized my brother's lieutenant so that he could run him with any of the ranged options and then either a power sword, power fist, or chainsword. I figure the chainsword option for following the DC in, power fist for going after big baddies with SG/termies, and the powersword fo an all-around fighter.

• 4 weeks later...

Adding some thoughts to the lieutenant.

I think he is a great HQ option on the cheap. If you don't want to add a captain or an extra sanguinary guard and you need a cheap HQ he does a great job for his points.

Some load outs I've been thinking about are as follows, depending on if you take the priests or not, a lightning claw and storm bolted, a power axe and combi-plasma or a power axe and storm bolter. If I ran him with a jump pack I'd probably probably take a combi-grav or combi-plasma. Honorable mentions are hand flamers just because they are a single point!

If I'm bringing a priest the sword option is better. However I wouldn't have a problem still taking the axe simply because he may go somewhere the priest is unable to follow.

While I've found the sword to be great, I have gravitated to the axe simply for being able to wound T4 on 2s in the first round of combat. Plus I don't always have priest in my lists, or they have a more priority target they need to be near, and I feel losing a priest is much more of a loss than losing a Lt.

Played a Lieutenant with Lemartes and a 15 man blob of DC, 5x power swords 10x chainswords 15x bolters, and it was very brutal for my enemies. They hooked up with Mephiston's Drop Pod a turn or two later and the remnants got their rage unleashed and it was almost as if they were back at full strength.

Re-rolling 1s to wound was critical in maintaining damage against the DG army I was up against. I'm not sure whether the math supports wounding on 3+ without rerolls or 4+ rerolling 1s but my dice have sure voted :laugh.:

Edited by NTaW

Rerolling ones for either hits or wounds ends up with the same bonus of a 1/6th increase in overall success. Rerolling for 3+’s makes it seem more potent as you have more initial failures (by percentage) rerolled, but it’s really the same overall outcome. Edited by Paladin777