I'll be buying the Lemmy model.  He's almost an auto-include in my army now.  

My current line of thinking is Lemartes with 2 squads of 10 JP DC with a light sprinkling of power weapons/fists as points allow. Deploy 1 squad on the table and put the other with Lemartes in reserve. Use Forlorn Fury to move the deployed squad forward before T1 and get them close to a nice target with a few models hanging back. On T1, drop the 2nd squad and Lemartes in the same area. Use DoA to charge with the squad that arrived from reserve, the squad that used FF should be close enough anyway. Both squads should make the charge, especially with Lemartes providing rerolls. If you are lucky, Lemartes may manage the charge himself in which case both squads will pack even more damage.

Not a great plan in that it stands the highest risk of leaving Lemartes out alone and easily targeted.  Also uses a crapton of command points, which Blood Angels aren't exactly swimming in to begin with.

I think the previous example of just dropping two squads with Lemartes, hoping at least one makes it into melee, and then using DoA to ensure Lemartes makes it in with them seems a more sound and economical approach.

Agreed - using Forlorn Fury is too unpredictable  - by which I mean you need to deploy the DC unit before you know your'e going first. There is absolutely no point in moving a unit up the field before the game starts if you're going second - most armies can kill 15 MEQ without breaking much sweat. I suspect the best use of Forlorn Hope is a DC Captain, hiding behind terrain, or behind a screen, hoping to go first and use Forlorn Fury, but if not, using Wings of Fire to bring him down beside the big block of DC and Lemartes who deep strike in Turn 1.

Not sure on this, but judging from your post above it seems to suggest a possible and slight misunderstanding of FF. (?)  While you're 100% right about the fact that most armies  can kill 15 MEQ easily, and you're also right about the initial placement of the DC, we can however choose to use FF after seeing who goes first! 

If you have multiple units in reserve, you can get a bunch of things rerolling or having charge bonuses. 

1. Mephy-Pod hop with wings and quickening

2. Descent of Angels with Vanvets/ASM

3. DC reroll with Lemmy

4. Angels Wing Character

Woe betide any player not using chaff screens.

I do understand this, just didn't express myself clearly enough. Apologies. 

The problem of course is that, even if you know you're going second, and decide not to use FF, you still have 15 dC on the board that can be easily shot off the board by most lists. Now of course you can trying and hide them, or keep them out of range, but IMO, its' just easier to keep them in reserve. 

I *think* we have to go all-in in this case. Let us say 30 scouts (6x units of 5 men), DC with forlorn, pod with mepphy or just libby with wings + quickening and one unit that used DoA gives lots of options for turn 1 mayhem. 

In 1.5 month I´ll be flying down to Denmark to play BA in a GT. I really want to play that kind of army. And have found a brigade I like. The problem is points are really tight and I can´t squeeze Lemartes in to buff my 15 strong bolter+chainsword DC unit.

Captain with jp, thunderhammer and bolter (no SS, can’t find points without compromising other important units)

Libby dread with SB

Sang priest with jp and power sword

(AS Elites I bring the SG ancient)

Options are reducing the DC unit by 3 models, dropping some gear in other and reolace the libby dread with Mephiston and a pod. Or getting the dreadnought drop pod for the libby dread

I enjoy using him to get my 15 man squad a successful charge.  He's quite the beatstick when deployed against the right opponent/army.  His low wound count is a bit annoying at times, but I typically use him as a counter charge when my opponent commits their warlord to wiping out my DC squad.  If that doesn't look likely to happen then I try to space the models in a way that at least one remains within 6" and he can still fight a separate unit. 

On a totally different note, does anyone still use his old metal model?  I do.  Mostly out of not wanting to shell out the cash for an updated version.  The metal one was so wobbly at one point I just quit using him.  I fixed that with a 32mm base when those came out though.  I still like the model, but it is so lackluster when compared to the new one.  Maybe one day I'll "lose" him and need a replacement.

I never picked up the 1st gen Lemartes model as I thought it didn't look very good, I just proxied the old metal DC chaplain instead. Now my painting has come on slightly in 20 years so I finally splashed out on the new Lemartes to lead my DC.

I never picked up the 1st gen Lemartes model as I thought it didn't look very good, I just proxied the old metal DC chaplain instead. Now my painting has come on slightly in 20 years so I finally splashed out on the new Lemartes to lead my DC.

​I received him as a gift many years ago.  I wouldn't have bought him either because he has such a funky looking stance.  He looks like he's posing for the Ginyu Force from DBZ.  

I also have 5 of the metal DC marines with JPs as well. They're quite the hot commodity at my local gaming store.  We have a lot of BA players up there, and someone always asks to buy/trade for them.

Edited by Calistarius

I really dislike GW resin. I bought the jump pack chaplain model (latest one with wings), removed the infernus pistol, and replaced with a bolt pistol. Would most people be ok with me using this lightly converted model as Lemartes in any games I'd play, both tournament and casual? The model has Death Company "X" markings on it and all, so it's almost begging to be used as an "easy" Lemartes conversion. I believe it checks all the Counts As conventions I could find online, and I think it looks way cooler than the actual Lemartes model. Thanks for your thoughts on this.

WYSIWYG is as much a thing in 8th as it was in 7th and most older editions. It's recommended and generally respectful towards your opponents but not a real rule.

As long as you show all his equip so it's clear what kind of unit it is and what it can do it should be fine. So skull helmet, jump pack, crozius and bolt pistol.

• 4 years later...
On ‎12‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 2:59 PM, Jolemai said:

bl.php?text=Blood%20Angels%20Unit%20of%20the%20Week%20Series&fontsize=25&bg=CE0018

Welcome to part one of the Blood Angels Unit of the Week Series!

Following the release of the 9th edition Supplement, there is no better time to discuss all the units we have access to. Each week a different unit will appear, with the idea being that we discuss how best to use that model on the battlefield. Where part one will focus on the unique BA units and part two will focus on BA units that are new to this edition of the Codex, part three will discuss how to get the best use the generic units from the past that are still with us (and that many of us have in our armies still), and part four will discuss the Legends units that we still own and love. Finally, part five will be dedicated to the reinforcements from Forge World.

Note, this isn't to lament any nerfs, etc, from previous editions; the rules are as they are so try to unlock its potential for those who wish to use them all the same. Similarly, this thread is only for using the option being discussed; it matters not if you feel something is a better choice as such comments aren't constructive to the topic and shall be removed.

Without further ado, here's this week's entry:

sml_gallery_62972_10568_1098.jpg Lemartes

sml_gallery_62972_11847_9313.jpg
Lemartes, Karhedronuk

What are you thoughts here folks? How best would you use Lemartes?

• To compliment a list, or to build a list around? Will the Chapter Approved changes affect your list(s)?
  • Which Death Vision do you favour here (access via Stratagem) 
  • How are you buffing this unit? Will it babysit anything?
  • Stratagem synergy of note?

Over to you.

Thread updated. Here we have another unit that is seeing discussion recently following the buff to the Fury of the Lost secondary. How are using him/foresee using him for the rest of 9th edition/post Nephilim?

His merit post AoC for a Angel's Sacrifice choice went up, especially as he synergises well with the DC (which some lists are seeing more than the token Forlorn Fury unit as they try to maximise the Fury of the Lost secondary - which Lemartes can also contribute to) - I had him tank an Avatar of Khaine which was glorious :biggrin:

He's a good choice for the 3++ Death Vision (requires stratagem though) in this instance.