30K(ish) UM 2nd Co and Support elements

Cruor Vault

When 8th released it spurred me to get back into 40K.  I stopped playing shortly after 6th released due to the increasing stupidity of the build I was seeing (Super Friends, Riptide Wing, etc) and I sold almost all of my armies off.

Seeing as I was entering 8th without an army and there were now rules for my favorite primarch in 40K, I decided it was time to finally build myself an Ultramarines army!

I've been drooling over the MkIII and MkIV plastic kits for a long time. So I decided to theme my army as a force set sometime after the Heresy has ended and the 2nd founding has taken place.  This let me keep the Heresy style equipment, but gave me an excuse to assemble my units into combinations that would be tabletop legal in 40K.

I've been building tons of models, but I've been very very bad about painting them.  Pretty much the only thing that has spurred me into action is the Tournaments I like to attend typically have strictly enforced 3-color minimums.

I've got a mix of FW units and more modern GW plastics.  

bhLIZt.jpg

Some of my less finished stuff.  I absolutely LOVE Devastators, so much so that I have 50 of them!  This is one of my main units that I like to take to friendly tournaments at my local store.  I find that mixing the heavy weapons (2x Grav, 2x Lascannon) lets me choose my target priority a little better.

Sadly this unit has only been painted to the barest minimum standard.  One layer of paint on everything, no shading, no washes, no highlights.

ddH4pq.jpg

Here is one of my characters, a slightly converted librarian from the (6th edition?) starter kit.  I used this guy as a test for the method I use to do the blue on these guys.  I'm thrilled about how the robe came out, but I'm pretty happy with the sword and hood.

Ha2etp.jpg

I've got a lot of other stuff completed that I did as test models.

Here is a Vindicator that I think is on its.... (4th maybe?) color scheme.

cOw68P.jpg

And this is one of my Land raiders.  I blocked out the white panels to indicate its attachment to 1st Co.  At some point I need to go back and add a vehicle number and a couple more decals.

ZbSRjB.jpg

IBdOgC.jpg

I originally painted this Storm Raven years ago when I was going to use the 6th edition Deathwing rules to make an Ultramarines 1st Co army.  That army never really got started, but I had this half painted thing sitting around when I was looking at getting back into things for 8th.  I decided to repaint it and update it to the new color scheme as a test for the new army.

I also have this ancient Land Raider, I'm pretty sure this thing is one of the first Land Raiders sold in the US back when the kit was originally released in 3rd edition.  It's been painted over at least 3 different times for various armies including Salamanders and Lamenters.  I figured I'd use it as another test model and surprisingly it turned out great!

gJaCkJ.jpg

I use an airbrush to do the blues and a few other things (bases, weathering, etc). 

I use Vallejo Imperial Blue over a Ghost grey primer.  I then highlight the model heavily using Vallejo Magic blue, once that is done I do an extreme highlight of Lightning blue.  At this point things are pretty extreme looking and the models are nearly turquoise before I lightly mist Vallejo Ultramarine Blue over the model.  This has to be really lightly done, too little and the model keeps the strange turquoise color, too much and the highlights i've built up are lost.

Once the paints are thoroughly dry I apply a really nasty Gloss varnish (All-Clad).  The gloss provides a great base for the decals and also helps the pin wash flow over the model more smoothly.  When decals have set I apply a Semi-gloss varnish to seal them on and conceal them.

After that everything else is done by hand.  I use the GW Air Ulthuan Grey to do edge highlights on the blue.

This is a partially completed Techmarine on a bike I build when the indexes came out.  Sadly his rules aren't all that great so he's been repeatedly pushed to the back of the painting line.

S2DnRA.jpg

I did this Jump Pack Chaplain (sans Jump Pack) as anther test.  I've always found black armor to be really tricky to make look good.

W26Bif.jpg