Armor of the Space Wolves During the Heresy

Rommel44

Hey mates. Planning on going the route of going Space Wolves at this time and as it stands, I plan to field them utilizing the Forgeworld Models or the GW Horus Heresy models in order to double-dip in both 40k and 30k. With that being the case, where the Space Wolves primarily in the Mark III Armor during the Heresy, or did the utilize the Mark IV Armor at some point? Have a feeling which route to go but I just wanted to clarify first and foremost mates and I appreciate the help.

Your army, your choice.

No, seriously; if you want to mix Mark III and Mark IV in the same squad, and even onto the same models, by all means, please do so.

I personally recommend whatever combination of Betrayal at Calth and Burning of Prospero to get whatever armor mark parts you find fun to use, and mix and match to taste. Kit bashing is often its own reward, if you have a vision. And, again, if you have a vision, or, need help with one, either start a thread here and work on creating your force's fluff, or, wait for the further perspective of the other players in this section of the forums to weigh in, and make of their advice what you will.

I use a mix of mark 2, 3 , 4 and 5. Although 2 and 5 are very sparing.

From Inferno we gleaned that Space Wolves had limited numbers of Tartaros terminator armour compared to Cataphractii plate.

Images from Inferno show a mark 2 and a mark 4 Wolf kitted out, I think the mark 4 armour was recent but highly customised and the mark 2 was a veteran

I the wolf King, at the very beginning was a section about the Einherjar, and they appeared to be wearing mixed (mark 5) armour

Note though, Inferno was based pre-heresy (technically). The Wolves resupplied with everything they could want at Beta-Garmon, prior to assaulting Prospero, so you could throw in loads of mark 4 if you wish.

After Prospero, the Wolves took a hammering (Alaaxes) then headed to Terra briefly, before returning to Fenris. Presumably they restocked on kit at both locations, then took another hammering (Yarant). Not too much is known after this but I reckon the Wolves would have pieced together what they could, so mixed armour is cool.

It will really depend on when in the Heresy you want to set them, or even slightly post heresy (scouring era, then you could add mark 6 and potentially mark 7 in very limited numbers)

I use mark 4 for Seekers (cos they are sneaky and mark 4 was meant to be the most advanced of the armour types at the time of Prospero and slightly beyond)

A mix of 2,3,4 & 5 across my jump pack assault marines (attrition rates)

A mix of marks 3 and 4 in my tactical veterans (to show the guys using what they like)

Mainly mark 3 for my heavy support (older wolves with big guns using heavier older armour)

Personal favourite is mark 3 

The FW torso's look great on all the armour marks although mark 5 legs do look a bit weedy, but the Sarum helms look brutal.

I have found the FW torsos blend better with the mkIII plastic kits. The mkIV legs lack the bulk and it looks a little off at times.

Honestly I’d start by getting the combo box set off the GW web store. Plenty of marines. Two units of terminators a few characters and a contemptor is a lovely start to any HH army.

As was said above. It’s your army so do with it what you want. I would defiantly advise picking up a squad of grey hunters as they have a good selection of bits that you can easily work in with out making the Force look overly 40k.

Hope that helps bud. Don’t forget to show us how your getting on as you start your project ;)

• 5 years later...

So, if I wanted to play 13th in HH, would I use any Chaos pieces? They went into the Eye, right after Prospero burnt? 

And, if so, there weren’t a lot of Chaos Marks on the armor yet? Mostly the same armor as Loyals, but different colors?

Or, would that have happened too far in future to properly model on my army?

The Burning of Prospero was one of the earliest engagements of the Heresy so I would not expect to see any Mk V yet. You can probably run any mix of Mk II, III and IV. I remember one of the old pieces of lore that Horus prioritised deliveries of Mk IV armour to those Legions that had pledge their support to him between Davin and Istvaan III. Horus believed he had no chance of swaying Russ to his side so I would expect the Wolves to still have lots of Mk II and III armour. That is just my personal headcanon though so feel free to model them how you like.

Thanks, Karhedron!

I haven't actually played any HH yet, so I'm tip toeing in. Do you think that me painting pieces of my Dekk-Tra's armor in traitor colors would fit with the game? or am I jumping too far ahead?

I'm also thinking of using the same army to play 40K and am building a Bulveye Graybeard as my Wolf Lord/Jarl.

2 hours ago, Grantyr Greymantle said:

I haven't actually played any HH yet, so I'm tip toeing in. Do you think that me painting pieces of my Dekk-Tra's armor in traitor colors would fit with the game? or am I jumping too far ahead?

When in doubt, always refer to the First Rule of Modelling!

1. They are your models so paint them how you like. :thumbsup:

22 hours ago, Karhedron said:

When in doubt, always refer to the First Rule of Modelling!

1. They are your models so paint them how you like. :thumbsup:

Agree, agree, agree!  It's your hobby, your money so do what you want, you'll enjoy it way more if you like the colour scheme, armour style, weapons etc.  Remember the Wolves wipe their bottoms on the rules books. :biggrin:

OK, this is in wet cement, so possibly might change, but I think I'm getting there…

My Jarl will be Bulveye Greatbeard, gonna give him a combat shield even though he has an iron halo, just cause it looks cool on the model. He'll be wearing artificier armor, as will my Deathsworn Pack.

My Praetor and his Vargyr will be wearing cataphractii armor.

The Huscarls, special weapons and vexilla carrying wolves in my Slayer Packs will be in Mk 3, with the rest of the packs in Mk 4.

My Stalker Pack will be in Mk 3.

My Seekers will be in Mk 6.

And my Long Fangs (sorry, can't bring myself to call them "Heavy Support Squad") will be wearing Mk 5.

Two of three wolves in each pack will have traitor colored (no Chaos marks) armor pieces.

Hopefully, I'll be able to comfortably field this army in both HH and 40K battles.

Pretty sure you could use the chaos backpacks from the 40k chaos marines, just de-chaosify them a bit.

Think all legions had access to that style of backpack as they were designed for void style combat, but had much poorer radiation protection to protect the user compared to the standard backpack.

Also sure that in hh7 inferno, the vlka were given access to any and all wargear they felt they needed for going to Prospero, so they would likely have had access to all marks of wargear, they'd just have customised it on the journey from beta-garmon to Prospero.

However in all cases rule of cool applies so go with what you want to do.

Also, I like what you are cooking up so far.

Since this thread is about SW players interested in HH armour, I will post this here:

Apparently the brand new mkVI furry-like wolf helmets that caused so much derision have been removed from the store, they don't appear in a search and the link to the page returns a 404: https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-GB/space-wolves-mk6-heads-2022