thunderfire cannon

Aegir_Einarsson

As in topic title. Anyone use them?

I'm curious, because is quite cheap, we have techmarine inculded, we don't need LoS, and we have stratagem that halves move, charge, advance -> tremor shells. With fast armies, like tyranids it might be quite usefull.

As I don't want to start another topic.

If you use devastators which options do  you give them?

I thought about 2xLC, ML, HB -> again quite nice stratagems -> flakk missile,or hellfire shells, both with Signum could be helpfull, and also ML and HB, will down the cost of the squad.

And third question: Lieutenants -> as cheap as possible, or some nice equipment. And stationary in deplyment zone to buff some shooting, or with jump pack for some mobility?

To me, Lieutenants are prime candidates for a power fist or thunder hammer because of their 2+ to hit (becoming the standard and not-too-shabby 3+ when equipped with the aforementioned weapons). Add on a storm bolter for cheap extra shots and Bob's your uncle. :tu:

Regarding Devastators, while you can split fire, I would tend to still keep the squad focussed on one role and doing it well. One missile launcher with flakk missiles isn't going to do much damage at all, for example, and a heavy bolter mixed in with lascannons seems a bit weird. My suggestion would be to take three lascannons if you want anti-armour or four missile launcherd if you want to use the flakk missiles stratagem to full effect.

Can't really comment on Thunderfire cannons because I've never used them but I've heard that they're a solid option if deployed and used correctly.

Well I ordered 2 Thunderfire stand-ins from Kromlech for Xmas, so here's hoping ;)

And yeah, Fist or Hammer with S Bolder seems optimal for Lieutenants. Whether or not they need a Jump Pack depends on what you plan to buff with them. If not fast or deep strike units, then no.

As an alternative for mobile buffs, a Marshal on a Bike can be very handy, especially with our fancy hat relic.

Devastators are heresy.

I don't think you can go wrong with LTs. The points for the utility aura are almost always worth it. If he kills something it just makes him a better all star. I think the normal LTs MCBolter > Stormbolter.

Thunderfire Siege Cannon I think loses out vs every other unit currently because you have to spend soooo many points on the Techmarine JR and all his extra gear. I'd rather play a Whirlwind of some sort or a razorback or any number of other, tougher/killier units/models. 

If the thunderfire ever changes to something like 3d6 shots or a Techmarine without all the extra crap he'll get bumped to top shelf.

I saw new preview of chaos deamons codex.

And there are some interesting things.

If you go mono khorn all units that 6" of character can re-roll charges.

If you go mono slaanesh all units 6" of character can charge after advance.

In that case trener shells are put in new position.

Also i thought about some things And it can be usefull against orks, marines bikes, berzerkers, nids, And gives us some tactical flexibility.

I run my devs with las Cannons most of the time.

Agree. Lascannons means never having to say you're sorry.

I only have 3 lascannons painted right now, so they are married up with one MM. My other Devastator squad runs 4 gravcannon, which are pretty brutal.

TFC vs. WW: I run WW's for their indirect fire capabilities, which is rare for straight C:SM. My WWs have been doing good work for me in 8th.

• 2 weeks later...

Whirlwinds aren't heresy imo. For proof, see the makeup of the Donian Crusade from Index Astartes Black Templars, at the bottom of http://games-workshop.com/w40k/ia/w40k_ia_bt.html

As for Devastators, I just call them heavy Crusader squads. Shove the codex up your holy passage Ultramarines, if I need to deploy heavy weapons I certainly will!

Still, I rarely use Devastators since I don't really have many heavy weapons and I like to deploy my heavies on vehicles. However, I've been toying with taking a small dev- I mean, Heavy Crusader squad with 5 men, one with lascannon, one with missile launcher, and a cherub. That gives me a cheap heavy support that can still help in cc if needed and helps fill a brigade.

Edited by Ebon Hand

I call mine Longbow Brethren, 

​The Whirlwind has had an interesting history in the Chapter. Index Astartes listed them as in the crusades, whereas Codex: Armageddon, (released only about a month later) said no Whirlwinds or Devastators. That continued into our own codex. No idea what happened after that. There are however, several fluff references to them.

I've always seen the operation of Whirlwinds in the Black Templars in a similar way to how the clans in Battletech view indirect fire roles, although I admit this is headcanon to reconcile the fluff conflicts.  They view it as skilless or spineless at worst, gloryless at best.  A duty for newer recruits, disgraced initiates or damaged/aging veterans that is officially seen as an important duty but widely regarded in the ranks as distasteful and undesirable.

So I reason that the Black Templars have a few whirlwinds in some crusades, but the demand for them is low as our style of warfare and temperament means that artillery isn't always the best choice if our troops are engaging up close to the enemy.  It can't be denied that they would inevitably be needed for some terrain and siege situations.

What you mean indirect Honda?

Tfc Also don't need LoS

I apologize if I was incorrect. It used to be that TFCs had more templates, but required direct LOS, whereas WWs were mobile and did not.

Am I having firepower flashbacks? (note this is different than "flashbacks of Firepower")

I call mine Longbow Brethren, 

​The Whirlwind has had an interesting history in the Chapter. Index Astartes listed them as in the crusades, whereas Codex: Armageddon, (released only about a month later) said no Whirlwinds or Devastators. That continued into our own codex. No idea what happened after that. There are however, several fluff references to them.

In codex 4th Edition there were (fluff) whirlwinds in it but not in the rules.

My interpretation is that Templars have that weapons but dont use them often. Like they hate to fight (old fluff) with witches but in some stories they have to.

I believe in one of the black templar comics an initiate was telling the value of heavy weapons as the CC squads drew out the enemy, and that everything had a place in the crusade.  Or something along those lines.  So I wouldn't say heavy weapons support is heresy, but just uncommon as it is up to the marshall or castellan leading the crusade.  Also in the BT short story where the small crusade is fighting against a khorne chaos horde, and they kept on doing a fighting retreat until the bloodlust of the heretics got the best of them and turned on each other, where then the BT went in and mopped up.

The Thunderfire Cannon is ineffective in this edition for its points. It was amazing last addition- now it fires too few shots, has too few hits, and does too little to warrant consideration unless one really, really, really just wants to use them.