Ready to paint for the first time

Rockythedog

Base or primer colour.

Primer colurs can affect the overall colour, for example a black primer will give you an overall darker tone to your models while white is brighter. Brown is best under gold etc

However if you have primed all the same and used the same paint process throughout then you should see a slight difference. Are we talking about the difference between Russ and Fang paints?

Have you got any pictures?

Okay, just went back and read the original post

Yes each model should look slightly different if you have used different colour schemes

First scheme is how I do my Wolves for 30K

Hidden Content

When I did normal wolf colours, looked more like this (3 years ago)

Hidden Content

35324479920_182f108815_c.jpgP1000773 by Danny Taylor, on Flickr

Edited by Dantay VI

Thanks Dantay.

Was a white primer. One the two with mech grey base, I see no difference to the two on fang base, when comparing to its opposite number with the same layer. I must have put paint on too thick.

I’ll put pictures up when get to laptop later. That Terminatir looks awesome btw

Edited by Rockythedog

No worries. Look forward to seeing the pictures...

It is cool, used the Sons of Horus Justaerin terminator as a base, but recently found out that 30K terminators cannot use storm shields (except salamanders and Imperial Fists). Made that model about 2.5 years ago... Way before Space Wolves got rules in 30K

Hammer is from the GW dwarf range :)

What technique did you use to paint them?

Th epaint isn't too thick, but looks like the pain has gone over the whole model including the recesses which means you lost the shadow effect

Okay, you were just a bit heavy with the wet brush

You want a little less paint on the brush and a slightly llighter touch

When wet or drybrushing you should very very gently tzouch the modelalmost cant feel the model wit the brush

They always do :)

Just be super gentle and make sure the tip is really the only part to touch the model. Also make sure there is almost no paint on the brush, so rub the brush on tissue and when you get to the point that almost no paint is coming off you are good to go.

First stroke or 2 you will hardly see any change in colour, but the more you do it the more colour you build up  so you can control how light or dark you want some areas.

The brush will also catch square edges and textured areas really nicely too. Perfect for Space wolves with all the furs etc.

Like all things it just takes practice, so do not be too discouraged the first time or 2, but you will get the hang of it.

Ok question time. I have seen conflicting information on this. After the base coat, do I layer or do I wash/shade?

Either can work but they will give slightly different effects. On my Blood Angels, I apply the highlighting first and bring the edges up very bright, then I bring the whole model down with a wash. Applying the layers/highlights after the shading will make them brighter in comparison to the rest of the model so it depends entirely on the finished affect you are after.

For what it is worth, I don't shade my Space Wolves at all. I start with a basecoat of the Fang and then highlight upwards with Fenris Grey and White Scar. I find the Fang is dark enough in comparison that a shading wash is not needed. Again, this is just personal taste. Here are a squad of Helblasters painted with to my usual recipe.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_07_2017/post-887-0-90724900-1501018033.jpg

Wow I like those. Love the darkness of the colour scheme. That is something like I am picturing in my head. That or maybe a bit more blue/grey.

So have you done a layer of Russ grey? Or are those just base of fang and then highlights to the edges etc

Edited by Rockythedog

Just a base of Fang, a drybrush of Fenrisian Grey and then a light drybrush of White Scar to pick out the edges. Blue/Grey work very well with drybrushing for highlights which makes this colour scheme so quick and easy to apply that I have been using the same basic colour scheme since the end of 1st edition (just updated the names periodically when GW insist on another rebranding of the paint range :tongue.:).

So got a few new marines for my birthday and a brand new official base brush, so I have started painting these guys. I have primed them in black (brush on). Today I will be base coating with the fang. I did one last night just to get the feel of my new brush. WOW a proper brush makes all the difference.

I need to do another thin layer on this first one as you can see primer showing through in places, but I am a lot more confident this time around

My tip is never use synthetic brushes, once you use red sable brushes or if you used to them start using kolinsky, the world will be much better.

Just dont start with kolinsky, its way to expensive but red Sable is what I use and love for most of my work, the flow is so good.

But I see GW has sable bushes these days so I guess you already have good brushes

Strange, I actually prefer synthetic brushes as the hairs are finer and give a better finish. They do not last as well so I simply replace them as the tips start wear and downgrade the older brushes to basecoating and (eventually) drybrushing. We spend so much on models and a fair bit on paint. I do not begrudge the cost of a new paint brush every couple of months to ensure good results.

To be honest I don’t have a clue when it comes to brushes and what makes the bristles etc. I’m still on the steep learning curve and finding what I’m comfortable with and what feels natural. Think I have the hang of base coating now, I’ll post photos of the three I did past two nights. I’m quite happy with the results. Next, need to layer properly. I’ll be watching quite a few tutorials and looking at a lot of people’s work to get the idea of how to do it properly. I just assumed last time that it was painted on like the base coat and I think that’s where I went wrong